Thread Rating:
Tottenham vs WBA - Match Thread
Ah, the solid organisation of a well-drilled defence.  The flair and creativity of a well-balanced midfield.  The pace and trickery of good wingers.  The clinical precision of confident, in-form strikers.  It was great to see all of these things for Albion again on Saturday; it's just a shame I had to fall asleep in order to experience it.  If Irvine isn't planning to deliver any of these things in reality, then I'd appreciate knowing in advance, because it's reaching the point where I'd prefer to whip out the valium and stick on series five of John Major's Most Fascinating Pebbles than see the same mistakes being made over and over again.  I'm clinging on to the hope that my "dream team" can become a reality with the players we've got in reserve, but the worry is how long we have to wait to see those players.  And how effectively they'll be used when it happens.  And just how low we may have sunk by then.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

After 88 minutes, Irvine and Downing begin to suspect that a substitution might be needed to address the lack of pace out wide.

It's difficult to know where to start with the team's problems.  The few baby steps in the right direction which happened during the Sunderland and Southampton matches suddenly transformed into an alarming slide backwards against Oxford, Swansea and Everton, and with Spurs to come next, hopes of a positive result are at a serious low.  I'd really like to find the positives about Albion's current prospects, but the sad fact is that as long as we struggle to seize the initiative in matches, take control of midfield, look comfortable in possession and really put the opposition's defence to the test, any other positives are mere window-dressing.  I know that Rome wasn't built in a day, but if Caesar had come out of his tent after six weeks to find the foreman reading a book called Foundation-Laying For Dummies, and the brickies playing bingo with the cement mixer, I suspect he wouldn't waste much time putting on his best crucifying trousers.

We know that Jeremy Peace's own executory pantaloons are particularly well-worn, and that he probably wouldn't be shy about pulling them on again.  We also know that he'll only do so when it suits him.  At this moment in time, he's giving Alan Irvine the chance to put things right, and I hope that Irvine can make the most of that chance.  His future at this club is going to hinge on what he can do with our new signings; whether we'll have them fit to start this weekend is, of course, anyone's guess.  I really don't expect anything for us at White Hart Lane, but right now, I'd settle for any signs of improvement in a team which has made a habit of mediocrity.

Classic Match

Tottenham Hotspur 2-3 West Bromwich Albion

Football League, First Division: 29th November 1980

I was going to say that it'd be incredible to see Albion 3-0 up against Spurs by half-time again, until I remembered that we've already done that once this year, and it didn't end well.  It almost went wrong for Atkinson's boys too, but then, they still had a winning mentality.  It's something we'll need to re-discover if we have any hope of remaining a Premier League club.

WillieJohnstonsGreenhouse, Dingle-Dingle, Sanjay And 1 others like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Loving that picture and caption Laugh

Sadly I can see the same stale line-up, in which case I honestly think this could be anywhere between 4-0 and 7-0. But hopefully if so we will have a new manager in for the Burnley game Thumb up
[Image: 1348664730___West_Brom_-_Banner.png]
It's not the weekend yet, but I am already depressed!
me too, I have even been to Aldi to stock up on nappies.......not for me mind, not yet
Its really crap being a Baggies fan at the min isn't it? My honest feeling is that in Irvine we have appointed someone totally out of his depth,that he even makes Alan Buckley look like a tactical genius.We wont win against Tottenham,got no chance,new players or not.I can only see a long hard battle against relegation this season.It really was an appalling appointment!
The 3-2 match brings back some memories I started going to Albion on a regular basis in 1980 and what a team we had. Maybe Irvine will watch it and realise the other team have a goal as well, and we are allowed to try and score in it!
Law of averages say, we've got to win some time! However, my feelings at the moment is - 'no chance this week', but saying that - you can never predict what The Albion will do, so they might just surprise us all - where there's life...
According to Official website we have full complement of players training so no " he is not fit, he is not ready or he has not had a full pre-season" excuses to fall back on. Here's hoping he picks the best 11 and we give it a right go.
And that must include Mulumbu, presumably, despite fears on other threads.
BBC Text service quotes Baggies have a full squad fit for Sundays match. There can be no excuses now. DD Whistle Whistle
Ubique.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »