Thread Rating:
The Play-offs Thread
Thought I would add a thread for all the playoff talk as we get into those over the next couple of weeks.  Of course there is local interest for us with the Blunts and Chezzie being involved and of course we are interested in who will depart our league for the league of Gods above us!!

The games are as follows:

Championship Play-offs
Friday 8th May 2015
Brentford v Middlesbrough 19:45 

Saturday 9th May 2015
Ipswich v Norwich 12:15 

Friday 15th May 2015
Middlesbrough v Brentford 19:45 

Saturday 16th May 2015
Norwich v Ipswich 12:15 

League One Play-offs
Thursday 7th May 2015
Chesterfield v Preston 19:45 
Blunts v Swindon 19:45 

Sunday 10th May 2015
Preston v Chesterfield 12:15 

Monday 11th May 2015
Swindon v Blunts 19:45

League Two Play-offs
Saturday 9th May 2015
Plymouth v Wycombe 19:45 

Sunday 10th May 2015
Stevenage v Southend 18:35 

Thursday 14th May 2015
Southend v Stevenage 19:45 
Wycombe v Plymouth 19:45 

Lets post all our comments about these game on this thread, I will update with the dates of the finals once the teams involved are known.
I offered some insights a few days back that I'm sure you all appreciated.I  forgot to mention another one.

I think the blades will be promoted this year.

And btw. I still don't like Nuhiu. Whistle
Was Wereham Owl likes this post
"God Save the King."
I think they will as well Doh weakest L1 has been since we were promoted in 2005 though IMO.

If they come up there's no way they can carry any momentum through. They'll be the whipping boys
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
I have a nagging feeling they might finally do it as well. Really torn as to who I want them to face in the final assuming they get there, Preston have a worse playoff record than the blunts do!!! If they do get up then how they perform will depend on how much money their Prince put into the club. I also think they could get more through the turnstiles than we do unless we really do challenge at the top.

As for Nuhiu, I don't dislike him, I just don't think he is good enough!!!
the prince doesn't put money in anymore does he? didn't he hand control back to McCabe and some american bloke?
And I thought I was stirring the pot again. Doh

As for Nuhiu I will rephrase: I think he may be a very nice bloke. I don't know him so I can't really say. But, I don't think he's a good enough footballer for the mighty Owls.

I have to watch what I say on here. Doh
St Charles Owl and Owlkev71 like this post
"God Save the King."
The best guides to Playoff results are usually the team's form over the last six matches of the regular season plus head to head results during the season. You also need to factor in that Preston may suffer a hangover from missing automatic promotion on the final day and Swindon have rested their first choice players for the last few matches.

Preston P6 W2 D3 L1 Pts9
Swindon P6 W1 D3 L2 Pts6
Sheff Utd P6 W1 D4 L1 Pts7
Chesterfield P6 W2 D3 L1 Pts9

It seems that the two sides in the best form are playing each other and the promoted side appears to be most likely to be the winners of the Preston v Chesterfield tie.

Head to Heads

Chesterfield 0-2 Preston
Preston 3-3 Chesterfield

Sheff Utd 2-0 Swindon
Swindon 5-2 Sheff Utd

So based on that, it should be a Preston v Swindon final.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
I think it's either of swindon or united to go up against chezzie.
Preston for me will be suffering from the hangover although Grayson is a good motivator.

so in conclusion it will be swindon/pigs vs chezzie/preston in the final Laugh
madsteve likes this post
Swindon are the dark horses for me, they haven't had to fight hard to get in there like the Blunts and Chezzie have over the past few weeks, but at the same time they have got over the disappointment of not getting the auto spot like Preston still have to contend with. Over their last 5 games they have used 27 players, given the whole squad a game and probably used these games to try some new things, so they should be fresh and ready for this challenge hopefully!!!
They had a pretty open league themselves in L1 this year really.

We finished 19pts above relegation in 13th position.

Chesterfield finished 19pts above relegation in 6th position.

Only 19pts difference between being relegated or finishing in the playoffs in L1 this year.
There was a 38pt gap in the Champ, exactly double.

Anyway I think Preston or Swindon will sneak it.
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »