Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
Just seen...

Not sure how I feel about Maguire & Kirkland staying on, but to be fair we need squad players til next season, at which point we should be able to move them on and improve further.

Kelhar never kicked a ball for us... he can do one

Matt Young was one for the future I thought?

Madine & Maghoma I though could also be squad players. Could this leave us making a bid for Keane?

Coke & Buxton. Never continued to improve despite showing glimspes of quality over the years. Goes back to what MS was saying about players NOT improving under SG or at S6 full stop.
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Slightly surprised that Mattock is on that list. I assume we will be offering Maguire, Loovens, Semedo and Kirkland one year deals so there is every chance they will reject them and take their chances on the open market. Lee I think is worth at least a 2 year deal, hopefully he signs it.

So if you add in Isgrove, McGugan and Keane to the 11 released we have let 14 players go, figure that probably two or three of the others may reject the deals offere then it could be as high as 17 released players. The new committee is going to be very, very busy this summer!!
surprised Mattock is going. We now need a new LB because Helan is wank and Dielna is all hoof

Yes Helan has pace which gets him out of things sometimes but he is one footed, can't tackle, can't pass, can't cross, can't shoot, has poor control, is terrified of beating a man and turns back into trouble 80% of the time.

I expect Kirkland will go and the others to stay
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
It certainly leaves us needing to fill a few gaps.

Hopefully Loovens will re-sign and retain his Captaincy. Lee would be squad player. Mcgugan is a must, he has changed games for us, with equal or better players around him in midfield we could definitely finish in the top 6.
Improve the finishing and we could rise above that, we have to start getting the best out of, on top of coaching our young strikers. It may even be a good idea to sign a proven, older striker to lead the line and brush off on the kids we have in Lavery, May and Bus.

It seems though, we have only really released 4 regular players in Buxton, Coke, Mattock and Maghoma.
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
I think Maguire will turn down a one year deal if we offer him that.

I have updated the OP, the squad is looking very thin!! We still have 4 keepers, so should be good there and we still have 4 strikers, but we know we are not ok in that department at all!!! I imagine we would be prepared to listen to offers for any of our strikers but if we do not offload any of them we could end up with 7 or 8 strikers come the start of the season!!
SG has said repeatedly that Mattock is the best LB at the Club.

This suggests that he didn't have a final say in who was released. Maybe we have Patrice Evra lined up.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(05-05-2015, 18:16)madsteve Wrote: SG has said repeatedly that Mattock is the best LB at the Club.

This suggests that he didn't have a final say in who was released. Maybe we have Patrice Evra lined up.

Which backs up my point on the Watford thread that SG is not going to get as much say as he thinks he will!!  If DC was going to remove Gray do we think it would have been done immediately like the releasing of players has been done??  Of course there could be a huge fallout with the committee at some point and if that happens then DC will stick with the guys he has brought in and wave bye-bye to SG that way.

Maybe he was the best LB, but he probably isn't good enough for us now. Probably means that Dielna is seen as cover for CH or LB and Helan is a midfielder. Of course both could be put up for sale as well, just because they are not out of contract does not mean they won't leave!!
McGuire stated recently that he would like to stay, so he will probably sign if the money is good enough.
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Think we should saying they have two weeks to accept the offer given or else it is withdrawn.

Think only Lee & Loovens would be significant losses.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(05-05-2015, 20:04)madsteve Wrote: Think we should saying they have two weeks to accept the offer given or else it is withdrawn.

Think only Lee & Loovens would be significant losses.

Kirkland should find another club easily if he was to reject the offer, he is still a very good keeper at Championship level.  Maguire would find someone probably quickly as well.  Both  Lee and Loovens should be offered contracts that they will accept, but I also hope that we are looking for upgrades in both positions so both may become good quality squad members rather than nailed on first team players.
madsteve and Thurnscoe_OWL like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed