Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
(03-05-2015, 13:04)Maddix Wrote: Whispers are that Kevin Nolan isn't getting a new contract at West Ham. Not sure if another Prem team will want him at 32 but I'd welcome him at S6  Thumb up

Interesting one this.

I don't like signing players of that age that may be looking for one more pay day but if you get the right guy with the right character (Micky Lyons!!!) then they can do big things for one season.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
His effectiveness has dropped over recent season & his goal tally has gone down. Is he a busted flush or has he got one more decent season in him?

09/10 - P44 Goals 17
10/11 - P30 Goals 12
11/12 - P42 Goals 12
12/13 - P35 Goals 10
13/14 - P33 Goals 7
14/15 - P26 Goals 1

His number of games is going down due to injuries but more significantly his goals have dried up & his performance levels have fallen away. I think any other manager than Alladyce would have given up on him months ago.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
He is still an effective player in the prem, have always liked his effort. A drop to the Championship should work for a player like him where he can anchor a midfield.
While I would have said that two years ago, the way his form has fallen away has been startling.

I believe that we should be looking at bright young players (& manager) rather than has beens looking for a final pay day.

I watched the interviews after MK Dons promotion success yesterday. Their Chairman said that their success was largely down to the way that Karl Robinson had brought in young players that no-one else wanted and improved them. Often this meant that he had to sell them but his reputation for improving players has meant that top PL teams want to send their players on loan to him. Hence he has had Bamford, Afobe & Ali over the last two seasons and improved all of them.

One of my criticisms of SG (& DJ, GM, AI & BL) has been that our players never seem to improve. This is why we do so badly in the transfer market. Robinson put Dele Ali in the first team at 16 and got £5m plus add ons for him at 19.

As usual, MK have had to sell their best players to stay afloat but Robinson kept unearthing gems. Last September, Carl Baker was released by Coventry. Yesterday he picked up the MK Dons Player of the Season trophy as they celebrated promotion. That is the kind of manager that we need. We can give SG a chance but it will be at the expense of promotion.
Statesideowl likes this post
Semedo has tweeted what appears to be his goodbyes.
I think I saw somewhere that the list of players not being retained will be released this week and then its up to the players we offer contracts to to accept them or they will leave as well.
Thank you to all Wednesday fans for the tremendous support, honour to wear the shirt everyday in training & every mach I love you all #swfc
(04-05-2015, 17:39)madsteve Wrote: Semedo has tweeted what appears to be his goodbyes.

Yes I saw that, although it also could have been interpreted as a thank you to the fans for this season as well.  I would be surprised if we do not offer Semedo a contract, even if he eventually just becomes a squad player.  If Semedo does go, I wonder if the overhaul we are about to see will be much bigger than we think its going to be??
Will Keane is assessing his future, article below:

Will Keane assesses his future at Man Utd

Question is, is he good enough if we want to get promotion?  He scored 3 goals in 11 games and certainly those who were there said he definitely looked quality in some of his games but is he the standard we should be looking to get or could we do better??  I have seen him labelled injury prone but I am not sure that is a fair tag, sure he has been injured but every player gets injured at some point!!

Thoughts??
Before it gets even quieter on here and everyone starts putting on flip flops, getting spray tanned or whatever other pre summer jolly preparations you do I’d like to say a BIG thank you to ALL the posters wherever you are located for keeping us expats like me entertained and informed about the Wednesday games, happenings at S6 etc etc. While I’m not the largest contributor by any means I do enjoy reading everyone’s opinions and all the discussions that occur over the course of a season.
Of course special thanks to (and don ‘t go sulking about the order) to the following

SCO -for his calm collected United Nations like manner in mediating (well most of the time!! ) the content and ‘heated discussions’ during the course of the season. Plus, of course, ably taking over the OP game threads and BML scoring.
Madsteve – for having the same Christian name as me but mainly the great match reports and ratings, technical/tactical nouse and often ‘insider information’ before it appears on newsnow. Bet he knows where Consilio is hiding too !!
Thurnscoe – for his yoothful drunken student views, bending the rules with flucky elbows and for helping bring the average poster age down to something we don’t need a calculator for.
SWO – for all his unsung work and time spent managing and scoring the Prediction League though to be fair I never check his maths so he could well be making it all up.
PEI – for being our most senior member and having knowledge of things Wednesday before we were born or at least could attend games. Please call a truce with Maddix and come back soon (you slightly older git) once you have sold a few of your books. You can always try and offload a few on half.com you know !!
Imre – well for being IMRE … there’s not much more to say but I’m sure he’s got a few cartel contacts so be careful, very ,very careful.
Maddix – for his excellent sense of humour (which very closely matches mine) and all his past work on the Match Treads and pre-revolution pictures, especially Kate. Please kiss and make up with PEI by pre-season. Try offering to buy one of his flucking books or find some 1950’s B&W ‘top shelf’ stuff for him on the internet.
Stateside – for also being stateside and the lucky (sometimes) meggo’s but we can’t totally compensate for SG’s team selections, tactics, game changing substitutions, the pitch (doh) and the fact that a game has 2 halves to it !!
Everyone else- either I can’t remember because like me you don’t post enough or more likely you are higher than me in the BML and prediction leagues and I have subconsciously erased you from my memory.
Right, who will be our first big signing ????
A57owl, St Charles Owl, Imre varadi And 6 others like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed