Thread Rating:
Rehabilitation Of Offenders
Ched Evans has not served his time, he is out on licence.

Please do not compare this case and the case of Lee Hughes....2 totally different cases.
Ok, he has completed the custodial portion of his punishment and is now out on license for the rest of it.

Seems Oldham have given in to the mob and after receiving death threats and threats of rape against board members daughters have decided not to sign him after all!!  Evans has also issued an apology for the effects his actions caused to various people including the victim.  Probably too little, too late, but it is one of the things the mob were asking for.  His legal team have not played this well imo, I know he continues to protest his innocence but there was no need for him to admit guilt while making an apology for his action much earlier than today!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30727380

The problem with this case, and no doubt more to come after this, is that the legal system is working in that he was found guilty by a jury, sentenced, completed his custodial punishment and now is legally allowed to find employment, which from a rehabilitation perspective is the next part of the "treatment". It should be up to individual clubs to make a commercial decision as to whether they want to sign a convicted criminal. But as we stand its the social media mob who are making this decision by use of threats in Oldham's case and by pressuring sponsors in the Blunts case, and while I would not want him at my club, this mob is essentially taking the law into its own hand and going beyond the laws of the land to enforce its own form of justice!! That is a dangerous road for us as a society to go down!!

Also, what do the social media mob want him to do?? He is a convicted criminal, an idiot and a low life but he should be allowed to work somewhere. Say he didn't come back to football, what job should he do?? If he worked for McDonalds on minimum wage, would they be happy with that or would there now be a campaign and petition against McDonalds for employing him??
For me it's the high profile and role model aspect of being a footballer that doesn't sit easy. Making the apology satisfies me on that score to some extent. He needs to say that he ashamed of what he did, sorry for the example he has set to fans and that rape is wrong. Then let him get on with it. I wouldn't want him at my club but, if he had at least done the right soundbites, that would be more acceptable.
There is little enough respect shown to women in football as it is without the potential Ched Evans' of this world thinking it's ok to copy him.
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
Don't think McDonald's would have him. Certain professions are closed to sex offenders. Professional football should be one of those.

Greater Manchester Police say they have not received any complaints about threats to Oldham staff or families. I reckon they're making it up to cover the fact that they're pulling out because of the financial loss they'll be getting.
Hopefully now that Sheffield United, Hartlepool and Oldham have put their toes in the water and backed off, Evans will crawl back under his rock and never see a football ground again.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
The thing is with role models is first footballers shouldn't be role models for kids and second I don't think kids copy what footballers do off the field, they emulate their on field actions!! I accept that kids aspire to be a great goalscorer and earn a ton of money, but that doesn't make them a role model personally but do make them one professionally.

Certain professions are rightly closed to sex offender, usually ones where interaction with kids is part of the job, but I am sure there is no law against working in retail for sex offenders?? Of course McDonalds could have its own rules regarding this, but I doubt its written in law. With football I don't see why it should be off limits, in an ironic sort of way, him being in the public spotlight playing football and therefore being recognizable would go a long way to ensuring he never commits any crime again!!

Amelia, I agree about the apology, should have been made a lot earlier!! After he was sentenced I believe he issued an apology to his family and girlfriend for cheating on her, but this is the first time he has mentioned the victim in anything from what I have seen. Initially there were plenty of threats against the victim and thankfully the police prosecuted a number of these offenders, good to see him condemn them as well, but it should also now be a police matter for the threats made against Oldham staff and family members by the social media mob as well, we cannot allow mob justice to stoop to those levels either!!
agreed that he's been badly advised so far, then again he's not the only one...every club who has thought about signing him haven't really thought it through properly.

If his appeal is successful then I've no problem with him returning to football

If his appeal fails then he needs to accept the desicion, serve the rest of his time(on license as long as he keeps his nose clean) and show remorse for his actions. If he does that then his road to rehabilitation begins and I'm sure someone somewhere will take a punt on him.

The above is all providing the system deems he has a strong enough case to actually lodge a appeal
The Blunts in particualr completely misread the situation, but PR is not exactly their strongpoint!!!

I completely agree with what you say about the appeal. If he wins he is no longer a convicted criminal, so that is a no brainer, but if he fails he needs to accept his guilt, be a good boy during the rest of his sentence and basically be humble in his remorse, then he can resume his life and career just like any other offender can.
Why is he appealing? The only miscarriage of justice was that his mate got off scott free.
Hope he gets a longer sentence.
He isn't appealing yet, his case is to be heard by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, they will decide whether he has grounds for an appeal or not. If they say not, then he needs to admit guilt and get on with his rehabilitation.
Fair enough, SCO. In the meantime he should be keeping a low profile not stirring up a hornet's nest like he is now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »