Thread Rating:
Scottish Independence
(07-09-2014, 17:54)spireitematt Wrote: IMO I think it would be better if Scotland stayed with the UK, I watched the debate on BBC 2 a few weeks ago and I get the impression that Salmond is just winging it and has not thought it through properly.

If Scotland do go independent then the Labour Party will never get back in again unless miraculously the South start voting Labour which I cannot see happening because the majority of the South are staunch right wing voters.

I think he's winging it, I don't think he even wanted independence originally or thought he'd get a majority, now it's a realistic possibility due mainly to his claims not being properly scrutinised, every time someone says Scotland can't do something Alec's standard reply of "it'll be ok" seems to suffice as an answer. Alec and his party will find themselves in the same situation as Nick Clegg did prior to joining the government, it's easy to make promises prior to election then they'll have to deliver on them.
When you look at the YouGov polls there is not much in it its about 50/50 at the moment. Some people who are undecided and don't know who to vote for will probably not vote or vote no.

I can understand why some Scots want to go independent its because they feel disillusioned by the Government and its not just Scots who feel disillusioned by the Government but most of England especially the North. We have a Government and MPs who represent the British public who are out of touch with reality and they come from upper class backgrounds, born with silver spoons in their mouths and went to posh public schools and they say. "Oh I understand and totally sympathise with your problems". They don't understand because they've had everything on a plate and come across very condescending to the public. They screw the underclass and working class by cutting benefits, raising taxes and destroying the NHS and they still expect us to vote for them come the General Election.
TIN TIN likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(07-09-2014, 21:34)spireitematt Wrote: When you look at the YouGov polls there is not much in it its about 50/50 at the moment. Some people who are undecided and don't know who to vote for will probably not vote or vote no.

I can understand why some Scots want to go independent its because they feel disillusioned by the Government and its not just Scots who feel disillusioned by the Government but most of England especially the North. We have a Government and MPs who represent the British public who are out of touch with reality and they come from upper class backgrounds, born with silver spoons in their mouths and went to posh public schools and they say. "Oh I understand and totally sympathise with your problems". They don't understand because they've had everything on a plate and come across very condescending to the public. They screw the underclass and working class by cutting benefits, raising taxes and destroying the NHS and they still expect us to vote for them come the General Election.

This is exactly what's undermined the Better Together campaign from day one. They've got no coherent plan for how the economic imbalance of the UK can be redressed (something from which we'd all benefit), so they're reduced to scaremongering and bluster. I'm not sure the Yes campaign's got any more coherent plans, but they can at least offer the hope of something different, which is a powerful draw in hard times.

However, it's a myth that Labour require Scottish votes to get elected; plenty of Labour govs in past elections would have got in purely by English and Welsh votes; there's only been a couple of marginals which Scottish votes have swung.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
If Scotland do vote yes then the General Election could be postponed till May 2016 I've read.

I've also read that Cameron will be pushed to stand down and so will Milliband if Scotland vote yes.

(07-09-2014, 22:18)Ska Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 21:34)spireitematt Wrote: When you look at the YouGov polls there is not much in it its about 50/50 at the moment. Some people who are undecided and don't know who to vote for will probably not vote or vote no.

This is exactly what's undermined the Better Together campaign from day one.  They've got no coherent plan for how the economic imbalance of the UK can be redressed (something from which we'd all benefit), so they're reduced to scaremongering and bluster.  I'm not sure the Yes campaign's got any more coherent plans, but they can at least offer the hope of something different, which is a powerful draw in hard times.

However, it's a myth that Labour require Scottish votes to get elected; plenty of Labour govs in past elections would have got in purely by English and Welsh votes; there's only been a couple of marginals which Scottish votes have swung.

I think most of the UK is sick and tired of the Westminster elite, hence Scotland is looking at independence, whilst England appears to be taking a more right wing route. If they listened to people they may not be in this mess. Quite right about the myth of Labour relying on Scottish votes to get elected, I think there's nly been 2 instances in the last 50 odd years that they have relied on the Scottish vote, the last time being in 1974, I think.
Cameron is one step away from playing "If you leave me now" on a boombox.

Scotland will do ok as an independent country if they can find the right people to lead the country and use its resources and revenues wisely. I am not at all convinced that Alex and Nicola are those people!! The SNP will no doubt form the first government but I think if they do vote Yes in a couple of weeks you might see a completely new set of political parties over the next few years anyway.
Don't be fooled by David Cameron. He obviously wants rid of Scotland. Why else would a posh English twat go up there and campaign for the No vote?
Heaven sent propaganda for the SNP.
El Car and St Charles Owl like this post
I know this much, I'm fed up of all the hype about it already.

Vote Yes or no, I don't care....just get on with it
ritchiebaby likes this post
I'm starting to take all this hate towards England personally. So much so that I think we should wave them goodbye. I no longer want to deal with companies that employ Scottish people and urge them to close their Scottish call centres. Jobs for UK employees only! Are you reading this, sky and the rest, I do not want to deal with foreign call centres! Thumb up
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »