Thread Rating:
European Union Referendum - In or Out??
Fascinating insight into a variety of topics surrounding the public's perception of the Brexit process and their attitudes towards it. Not a whole lot has changed in the whole scheme of things it would appear and if there were a vote tomorrow then it would likely come down to the wire again, aside from those who didn't vote getting off their backsides to do so second time around.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45520517

To me the couple of stand out questions in this was the perception that the Tories were still considered the best party to negotiate our exit and that the re-vote if it took place would still be almost 50-50 again.

The first of these shows The Labour party have screwed up a huge opportunity here to gain some ground on the Tories, they have sat on the fence completely over Brexit and appear to have no firm stance themselves on the subject. The in fighting over Corbyn's position must also be hurting them and maybe they as a party need to find a unifying person to lead them into the next election because I don't think Corbyn can beat anyone that the Tories put up.

The second is rightly pointed out as a real tough poll to come up with accurate figures for a couple of reasons. First its unknown if the turnout in general would be up, down or the same. Second would the young voters vote this time and would those who have turned 18 since the first referendum turn out and which way would they vote?? Almost impossible to accurately answer those questions but you would have to think the young voters would overwhelmingly vote to Remain, so getting 10% more of them out to vote would likely see a Remain victory.
I totally disagree with that view of a 50-50 split if there was a vote tomorrow. I think it would be roughly a 60-40 remain vote with possibly a higher 70-30 vote up here in Scotland, a country whose democratic vote on this has literally and disgracefully been ignored in this whole fiasco while watching in the background at the attention being given to the Irish question, something that was never even considered at the time! I'd wager a wad of money that the population would respond with a remain vote that would shove all those dismissive comments from the "brexiteers with an agenda" back down their throats and that would be long overdue in an undemocratic country called the Disunited Kingdom!
You gov got it badly wrong at the election, I too think remain would win comfortably right now. There is also a higher proportion of leave voters now who say they would change their vote

I think SCO is right about labour though, they aren't making any real headway to government so they have nothing to lose by supporting a 2nd referendum at conference next week. It would be popular with their members and trade unions too.

Inflation is up again, the economic perspective is bleak, or pitch black if we are to crash without a deal, and the country is split down the middle. Negotiations are stalling and time is running out. Meanwhile the DUP holds the government by the balls, or as a certain American president would say "by the p*ssy".

And Her Majesty PM talks about spending the money she doesn't have on things she spent last ten years destroying counting on people's stupidity. Unfortunately there is plenty of that about in the UK at the moment.
(19-09-2018, 09:55)0762 Wrote: I totally disagree with that view of a 50-50 split if there was a vote tomorrow. I think it would be roughly a 60-40 remain vote with possibly a higher 70-30 vote up here in Scotland, a country whose democratic vote on this has literally and disgracefully been ignored in this whole fiasco while watching in the background at the attention being given to the Irish question, something that was never even considered at the time! I'd wager a wad of money that the population qould respond with a remain vote that would shove all those dismissive comments re the "brexiteers with an agenda" back down their throats and thayt would be long overdue in an undemocratic country called the Disunited Kingdom!

I don't disagree with you on the 50-50 split, but the poll itself said that there were a number of factors that could dramatically change their poll result one way or the other, and as Jim points out the polls don't have a very good record in recent years.

As regards the comment that the Scottish vote is being ignored, well it should be!! This was a national referendum not a regional one, no particular region should be given different treatment as the result was based on the whole of the UK. The Irish question is a completely different thing entirely, its got nothing to do with how NI voted, its all to do with how you unravel the border issue, something as you say was never considered at the time of the referendum.
I'm inclined to agree with SCO on this (apart from his "regional" jibe, as Scotland is not a region!!!  Rolleyes ).

As it was a UK vote, the negotiations are being conducted by the EU and the UK Government. The idea of different treatment for different parts of the UK is nonsensical, as we'd have the prospect of Scotland and London, as well as various Parliamentary constituencies, demanding to stay in the EU.

The other thing that amazes me is that many intelligent people complain that the biggest problem about Brexit is uncertainty. The negotiations are still going on, so what else could they expect? The real problem is that the Brexit opponents in the UK Parliament could vote against any deal that is eventually agreed between the UK and the EU. Despite repeated warnings of the stupidity and economic disaster of a No Deal, that just might be the result of such a vote - the Remainers ensuring the exact result that they say they are campaigning against.
Cabbage is still good for you
My choice of the word Regional wasn't meant as a jibe at all, it was deliberate to mean any part of the UK, not just a country or a county but any region could say they were against it and therefore should be treated differently. Scotland wasn't the only "part" of the UK that voted for Remain, there were regions of England that voted to remain and equally should be "ignored" as 0762 said.
ritchiebaby likes this post
A Westminster govt negotiating a deal on behalf of a country (not a region) called Scotland!!!??? Now that is laughable when one considers the long period of contemptuous consultation with Scottish govt officials - so much for collaboration and being an equal partner!!! It's a Unionist argument that followed a previous unionist assurance in 2014 that remaining with the union ensured a continued membership of the EU!!!! Then the Scottish population strongly confirms the demand to remain with the EU and that vote even stronger in 2018. Therefore f### the union, let whatever Westminster govt remains finally "collapse the house of cards" and we'll "push on" with the quest for Scot Indy and self-determination, full governance of our country, the way it should've happened in 2014 when so many Scottish voters were sadly duped/conned by the same shameless comments/tactics deployed later on in 2016!!!! Thankfully many thousands n thousands of Scots are now wakening up to that realisation. Btw the Union is all about England to the detriment of all the other devolved nations!! IMO let England and the current imbeciles, who are governing the country very badly, keep it to themselves!! I'd call it a "long, slippery road" to oblivion!
0762 - I know what you're saying, but the fact remains that the UK Government is negotiating on behalf of the whole UK, not individual parts of it. The obvious conclusion is that they're making a complete cock-up of it, but they're in charge, like it or not.
Cabbage is still good for you
Sorry 0762, I think you are wrong. The UK is the member of the EU, not England or Scotland or Wales or NI, its the UK as a whole. Westminster is not negotiating on behalf of or instead of anybody, thats their job to conduct these negotiations for the whole of the UK as it stands. I agree that the Scottish voters didn't want to leave and the referendum showed that but while Scotland is still part of the UK then the EU will negotiate with Westminster only. Obviously if the Indy movement had won in 2014 or wins in the future, then Scotland would at that point be free to negotiate on its own behalf directly with the EU, but that isn't the current political landscape we are in.

I also agree with the Union being more about England, that is something you see all the time across the globe, small parts of a union or partnership being dominated by the far larger partner. Doesn't mean things are done to the detriment of smaller partners, but it does mean that the bulk of the say and the bulk of the benefit will be dictated by the larger partner usually.
It's funny that time n again, we, as Scots, are accused of being insular, inward-looking and petty-minded in the Tory dominated media and yet this is the same media that created the political careers of Farage and Johnson with their sad Little Englander beliefs and fantasies of an Empire reborn - just how often was Farage on the likes of bbc Question Time? A media happy to push demagoguery and deceit in their worship of vacuous celebrity has democracy ill, and not just in Scotland. Dark money, "fake news" and dirty tricks are the stock in trade of the populist demagogues both here and in the USA. IMO as Scot Indy comes ever closer, it is likely there is more deviousness and dishonesty to come from the usual shameless sources.
hibeejim21 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »