Thread Rating:
WBA vs Derby - FA Cup Third Round Match Thread
Well, we put out a strong enough side. Both teams had their chances. Derby took enough of theirs, we didn't.

I could probably shrug it off quite easily if it wasn't for the fact that this is exactly what we do in both cup competitions every single year, like bastard clockwork.
BaggieMan and HRK like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Nothing wrong with going out in this round if we make europe through the league, if not as is most likely then this was a massive wasted opportunity. On to the draw with spurs next saturday.
Well at least i got the amount of goals right 2 for them 1 for us Sad
a few ex baggies in the ranks at derby guaranteed to lose weren't we. What a choker! Not only am I stuck at home ill but i'm robbed of any entertainment on TV tonight cos saturday night telly aint my cup of cocoa Sad
Oh and as for tottenham next week bloody forget it. They're on fire right now. best we can hope is not to get skinned alive this is a park the bus game i'm afraid chaps
Took the dog a walk at 1/2 time, and bumped into a Derby fan I knew, and gave him some stick. Got back and - shit - it was 1-2!

Now I'm desperately hoping that the confidence we've gathered the last few weeks won't fizzle away. All this talk of Europe could just be laughed at by Wolves/Villa fans in a couple of months.

Pessimistic, I know - but I've had years of experience watching the Albion.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(07-01-2017, 18:59)Ska Wrote: Well, we put out a strong enough side.  Both teams had their chances.  Derby took enough of theirs, we didn't.

I could probably shrug it off quite easily if it wasn't for the fact that this is exactly what we do in both cup competitions every single year, like bastard clockwork.

Pretty much my view on today as well.

Matty Phillips had a fantastic game yet I'd say everyone else had a 5/10 game at best. It also was apparent how much we missed Brunt today, some of our crosses just weren't accurate enough to cause Derby problems. 

The positive I've taken from today was another autograph from Sir Kevin Phillips, managed to get his attention when he was setting up for Derby's warm up. What I'd give for a striker like him back at The Albion!
bomberbrown1968 likes this post
Went to the game, first one of the season after the journey down from Scotland yesterday. I was happy with the team Pulis put out and, to be honest could not fault the endeavour. However, what we had in effort, we completely lacked in quality. After ceding possession for the first 20 minutes, we dominated the game but were wretched in our crossing and our finishing. Also, not sure what happened with their second goal, how Myhill was beaten by that was troubling. From where I was sitting, a few things seemed apparent, many of which have been aired here before. Phillips is real class and stood head and shoulders above any other player; Maclean has tremendous commitment and 100% but not much ability and made no real contribution - his crossing was terrible; Olsson is now a liability; sad to say but Fletcher's contribution was zero - he has no pace or drive in a position that is critical for us; Rondon works like a Trojan and holds the ball up well but he's not a great finisher and probably won't score more than 10 goals in the season, not a lot for someone who is our main striker. I think we desperately need another striker, one who is a recognised goal scorer, to play with Rondon, we need a dynamic midfielder who move the play forwards, not sideways and another centre half, preferably under 40!
I did go out. Took the lady wife to the picture house to watch Sully (a very good film) but kept the mobile on silent to see updates.

As Skad says - I'd be upset but so what it happens every year. This year is different because we doing well in the league and so I am distracted and resonably happy!
Have just discovered some footage filmed by Derby fans behind the goal for the free-kick.

https://streamable.com/y308l

Jesus Christ Boaz, that is absolutely awful keeping!
Fozzie would have saved that no problem. Not seen their first but Boaz has to hold his hands up for letting in that savable winner.
West Brom manager Tony Pulis, speaking to BBC WM: "I'm really proud of the players. They've worked so hard. We battered them. We needed a break and we didn't get a break.

"The two goals they scored are disappointing from our point of view. We should have dealt with the first one - we stepped away from their player.

"With the second one, we'll have to talk about the wall. I've been in to see Jon [Moss, the referee], and he's marked out 13 paces for that free-kick. With others in the game, he's marked out 10 paces. Those are the breaks you need to get through in cup football."
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »