Thread Rating:
Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread
(11-12-2016, 20:17)bomberbrown1968 Wrote: Not knocking what he did achieve jim but there was only ever 1 team who were going to win the league in Scotland, if Celtic spent like a championship side, the rest spent like Conference teams and less. So yes he has achieved more than Pulis but so will Rodgers and anyone else who manages Celtic, end of.

Along the way he'll probably get the scalps of a couple of the big boys, but that's about it, the same as Lennon whose honours amount to Scottish football which you admit is shit, his time managing in England was a nightmare with an average Championship side like Bolton, albeit financially ruined, he certainly didn't weave any of his magic there and as a result are now league 1. No honours for keeping them up, but I do think Pulis would have ground out more points for them although I accept it probably would't have been very pretty.

Albions performance today would turn nobody away from football, you should see some of our earlier games for that. The fact is we have not become so hard to watch for the last few games and I, personally, am encouraged by how we've changed.

I'd give lennon some leeway with bolton. Initially he did very well keeping them up after freedman,but behind the scenes the place was a total clusterfuck.

I just don't like pulis's style of football. I'm not particularly having a go at west brom here.
[/quote]

I'd give lennon some leeway with bolton. Initially he did very well keeping them up after freedman,but behind the scenes the place was a total clusterfuck.

I just don't like pulis's style of football. I'm not particularly having a go at west brom here.
[/quote]

There's quite a few of us on here who aren't that keen on the style as well jim, you seriously should see some of the dross we've been served with in a number of games, but today wasn't like that, it was an average team going to one of the big boys and making them pull out all the stops to get their 3 points.

Yes, Pulis has angered us all taking any attacking intent away and strangling the life out of a game to try and preserve a point for 90+ minutes, but today's performance was nothing like that and shouldn't be compared, it wasn't the type of Pulis performance that understandably makes him unpopular with you and many others Thumb up
It's absolutely bizarre that anyone could brand today's game a showcase of stereotypical "Pulis football". The intent was there to counterattack quickly, and we were so keen to play out from the back rather than hoofing it forward that we damn near played ourselves into trouble more than once. Indeed, you could argue it was a lack of safety-first mentality that cost us the game eventually.

Fact is that if the likes of Eddie Howe or Claudio Ranieri go to Stamford Bridge and preside over a performance like that then it's praised by neutral fans and pundits alike. Tony Pulis does it? Then it's dinosaur football, apparently. I guess football really is all about PR nowadays.

Gutted to have lost the way we did after a rock-solid 75 minutes, just hope that the effort the team put in doesn't leave them lacking that extra edge against Swansea in the week.
BaggieSteve, derbybaggie, bomberbrown1968 And 1 others like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Spot on Ska'd and thank you for summing up my exact feelings, gutted to have lost but not with how we approached the game or how we played. It was a tad away from the perfect away performance.

Dawson out Wednesday with the booking today, will that mean Brunt dropping back, Nyom swapping sides and with Chadli back in the starting line up pushing up to support Rondon. Only time or TP will tell.

Oh my Lord, just when you think it's safe and he'd gone away.........

BBC match report
44. Posted by fireyMoosse on
18 minutes ago
Baggies players heads dipped when they saw that the thug that is McLean was coming on, and sure enough Chelsea scored. He is such a useless trouble making goon yob, every time he comes on we give goals and leads away, time he was dropped for good

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
(11-12-2016, 21:26)bomberbrown1968 Wrote: Dawson out Wednesday with the booking today, will that mean Brunt dropping back, Nyom swapping sides and with Chadli back in the starting line up pushing up to support Rondon. Only time or TP will tell.
Foster
Nyom - McAuley - Evans - Brunt
Morrison - Fletcher - Yacob - Phillips
Chadli
Rondon
BaggyBomber and bomberbrown1968 like this post
That's what I reckon Josh, what I do think is interesting is that if we get a result Wednesday, do we revert back to todays line up for Saturday, first game Daws has missed since his retrospective ban after the "sending off" against Man. City last year.
To be honest I thought it was a decent performance today.

Much better than the dross against Liverpool away.

First half was reasonably even, we got bodies forward and Rondon didn't look isolated like he has in these games in the past. There was little in the way of chances at either end, but we probably had the best of what their was.

Second half their quality took over so we were getting pinned in, but we looked completely comfortable. The goal was simply down to Costa's endeavour and McAuley choosing to try and play out rather than into touch. I guess 99 times out of 100, you can get away from the striker. Shame because Gaz rarely ever makes a mistake and on this occasion, it cost us.

Didn't expect anything from this but we were value for a point.
(11-12-2016, 18:50)hibeejim21 Wrote: HibeeJim, your comment made me smile. As someone who has lived in Scotland for 35 years and watched a shed load of Scottish football at all levels, I can honestly say it's bloody terrible. The basic quality is so poor that games end up being determined by the level of effort, with the occasional flash of ability. You won't find anyone on this board who is an outright Pulis fan and most of us have reservations about his approach although not his ability. However, in comparison to your manager, Neil Lennon, we have someone of SAF proportions.

scottish fitba is shite,I'm no denying that,But it exists on a fraction of the money the epl does. Still even taking that into account lennon has achieved way more in the game than tony pulis.
[/quote]

In all honesty, Jim, you could only compare Pulis' and Lennon's records in England, as Pulis has never managed in Scotland so anything beyond that is supposition. For all the fact that I am no fan of Pulis' style of football, his record far outstrips that of Lennon, primarily because, apart from a disastrous period at Bolton, NL doesn't have a record. He may do brilliantly in the future but there is no reason you could assume that. Pulis plays football that would never have thousands of the uncommitted flocking through the gates but his record of achievement with unfashionable clubs in unsurpassable, if you regard survival as achievement- for Stoke and Albion this is reality, for Celtic in the SPL it would not be. Of course the SPL has a fraction of the money of the EPL but everything is relative- the disparity of wealth that exists between Albion and Chelsea is the same as exists between Celtic and Cally. Both disparities give a huge advantage to the one side and, not surprisingly, that's how it plays out over a season. Perhaps Lennon's greatest achievement might be to get Hibs promoted and then finish above one of Celtic, Rangers or the Jambos in his first season in the EPL. I'm not actually knocking Lennon because I like his spiky and combative attitude but, like Pulis, he won't go down in the annals of great managers.
(12-12-2016, 00:45)BaggieSteve Wrote:
(11-12-2016, 18:50)hibeejim21 Wrote: HibeeJim, your comment made me smile. As someone who has lived in Scotland for 35 years and watched a shed load of Scottish football at all levels, I can honestly say it's bloody terrible. The basic quality is so poor that games end up being determined by the level of effort, with the occasional flash of ability. You won't find anyone on this board who is an outright Pulis fan and most of us have reservations about his approach although not his ability. However, in comparison to your manager, Neil Lennon, we have someone of SAF proportions.

scottish fitba is shite,I'm no denying that,But it exists on a fraction of the money the epl does. Still even taking that into account lennon has achieved way more in the game than tony pulis.

In all honesty, Jim, you could only compare Pulis' and Lennon's records in England, as Pulis has never managed in Scotland so anything beyond that is supposition. For all the fact that I am no fan of Pulis' style of football, his record far outstrips that of Lennon, primarily because, apart from a disastrous period at Bolton, NL doesn't have a record. He may do brilliantly in the future but there is no reason you could assume that. Pulis plays football that would never have thousands of the uncommitted flocking through the gates but his record of achievement with unfashionable clubs in unsurpassable, if you regard survival as achievement- for Stoke and Albion this is reality, for Celtic in the SPL it would not be. Of course the SPL has a fraction of the money of the EPL but everything is relative- the disparity of wealth that exists between Albion and Chelsea is the same as exists between Celtic and Cally. Both disparities give a huge advantage to the one side and, not surprisingly, that's how it plays out over a season. Perhaps Lennon's greatest achievement might be to get Hibs promoted and then finish above one of Celtic, Rangers or the Jambos in his first season in the EPL. I'm not actually knocking Lennon because I like his spiky and combative attitude but, like Pulis, he won't go down in the annals of great managers.
[/quote]

If its all relative mate,then surely lennon taking a Scottish side to the last 16 of the CL beating barca on the way outstrips pulis's eyebleed fitba to keep teams out the relegation zone every time ? Does for me anyway. I'm not even saying lennons a better manager just that he's achieved more in the game than pulis and time is more on his side.

Anyways good luck for the rest of the season Thumb up
(11-12-2016, 21:04)Ska Wrote: It's absolutely bizarre that anyone could brand today's game a showcase of stereotypical "Pulis football".  The intent was there to counterattack quickly, and we were so keen to play out from the back rather than hoofing it forward that we damn near played ourselves into trouble more than once.  Indeed, you could argue it was a lack of safety-first mentality that cost us the game eventually.

Fact is that if the likes of Eddie Howe or Claudio Ranieri go to Stamford Bridge and preside over a performance like that then it's praised by neutral fans and pundits alike.  Tony Pulis does it?  Then it's dinosaur football, apparently.  I guess football really is all about PR nowadays.

Gutted to have lost the way we did after a rock-solid 75 minutes, just hope that the effort the team put in doesn't leave them lacking that extra edge against Swansea in the week.

Resurrecting an old thread/post here but feel it's a good time to do it.

We couldn't be any further away from the Pulisball that TP is known for at the moment, only need to look to our efforts against Burnley, Watford and Swansea at home in addition to a solid 75 minutes away at the Champions elect.

The bolded part is the most frustrating as it's 100% true. If another manager had nearly taken a point at Stamford Bridge it would have been a totally different story. Chelsea are making the Prem look like a piece of piss this year when it's anything but - so we went there to stop them playing which every other team after us will also aim to do this season.
Stairs and drewks like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »