Thread Rating:
Norwich City @ Deepdale 17/4/2017
In what will almost certainly be my last home game of the season as from next Saturday I will be standing in green areas dressed in white chasing a piece of red leather, although if it tipping down on 29/4/2017 I get to see the Millers last game in the Championship.
On Monday Deepdale welcome Norwich City who were regarded as in with a great chance of returning to the top division after last year's relegation, they spent millions over the summer and are currently one place below us, they also sacked manager Alex Neil and in temporary charge is ex North End manager Alan Irvine, who in the latter stages of his career had a no shots on goal policy.
The Canaries have had an in an out season typified by their last two games stuffing Reading 7-1 then losing to 10 man Fulham 3-1, away from home looks like they suffer from travel sickness last winning away on 4/2/2017 at Cardiff and last before then was the victory at Wolves on 1/10/2016. Their last away game was on Sky against Huddersfield were they went down without a fight 3-0 with some seriously suspect goalkeeping by McGovern.
The last time they arrived at our gaff was a cup tie which we won 2-0 and not for the first time after a defeat by us the losing manager was sacked, in this case Neil Adams.
They have some talent in the squad but have under performed badly this season however one to watch for is the diminutive Pritchard who cost about £8 million from Spurs in August.
As we are at home the microphone will be nowhere near Delia so she won't be having ya.
Baptiste and now Pearson suspended the latter following his 67th booking this season. Clarke injured and sounds like that is it for his season a bad Achilles tendon injury, with 12 points still to play for we are still mathematically in wih a chance of the play offs, won't happen but strange things do happen.

Klose doubtful for them
St Charles Owl likes this post
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Preston must manage without skipper Tom Clarke after he suffered a season-ending Achilles injury in their defeat by Huddersfield Town.

Fellow defender Alex Baptiste is still serving a three-match ban following his red card against Leeds.

Norwich defender Timm Klose (knee) will be assessed after having to go off in their loss to Fulham.

Substitute Cameron Jerome scored their goal in that game and will be hoping to start against the Lilywhites.
Match facts

In 19 previous meetings, Preston have never lost back-to-back home matches against the Canaries.
Norwich have scored just twice in their last six league matches at Deepdale.
Norwich have won 10 of their last 11 league matches (including play-offs) played on a Monday, losing the other to Reading earlier this season.
Preston have won 11 of their last 18 home league games (D5 L2) and are unbeaten in their last nine, winning six.
The Canaries have won only one of their last 15 away league games in the Championship (D4 L10).

Gloom all around Deepdale, a truly abysmal performance coupled with the news that central defender Tom Clarke is expected to be out of action for nine months following his injury at Huddersfield on Friday and we also lost Greg Cunningham today with a fractured leg, so dfensively we will be short for the last three matches with the Newcastle one on Monday looking like we will have a makeshift defence against the Toon.
We started brightly today with a couple of early efforts at goal then as soon as Cunningham got injured after that it was fairly easy for the Canaries as they strolled to a two goal lead by half time, the first on the half hour as North End only semi cleared the ball, twenty five yards out not a soul around Dorrens territory, he shot, he scored.
The second five minutes before half time came after Browne lost the ball in the Norwich half, some swift passing a Pritchard back heel in the box and Murphy easily scored. Could have been worse on the stroke of half time Gallagher misplaced pass set up Pritchard one on one with Maxwell, he should have scored but didn't. The natives were less than impressed with the performance.
Second half after an early bit of pressure Norwich looked the more likely to score but a change of personal pepped up the home side, Vermijl who had had a shocker(again) was replaced by Horgan and North End went 343. City kept giving North End free kicks and fro one of them Spurr backheaded home to reduce the arrears. For the first time in teh game we were on top and should have scored Huntington, headed wide, Barkuizen had a shot blocked and McGeedy hit th side netting was a bit greedy should have crossed. Once the initial flurry wore off Norwich regained control and should have wrapped the game up. One 60 pass from Boyle found Hugill's whose first time effoert went narrowly wide, Barkuizen also fired over before Norwich broke away and added a third through Maddison deep in injury time.
Credit to the 500 or so away support along journey on a Bank Holiday.

Preston North End 1 Norwich City 3 Att 11200

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"We left ourselves too much to do after the first half. We started well for the first few minutes but after that we were a shadow of ourselves.

"We didn't have any energy about us; we didn't stop the opposition from playing and they have some very talented players.

"Half-time is the angriest I've been for a long time. I said to the players we want to finish the season strongly, and it's a real disappointment because I don't want to finish the season with that kind of performance. Three games to go and we need to do something about it."

Norwich caretaker manager Alan Irvine:

"I thought it was a really good performance but we could even have had more goals in the first half which would have killed the game off.

"Thankfully we got the third goal just before the end.

"I like playing gifted, talented, attacking players. We try to get as many out there as we can without having an unbalanced team. I thought to a man the players did really well today."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »