Thread Rating:
Sunderland news
Midfielder Chris Rigg has signed his first professional contract with Sunderland.

The 17-year-old academy graduate has agreed a three-deal to stay at the Stadium of Light until at least 2027.

At 15 he became Sunderland's youngest debutant when he came off in the bench in an FA Cup tie against Fulham in February 2023.

He then became the youngest goalscorer in the club's history at 16 when he scored against Crewe Alexandra in the EFL Cup last August.

It was the start of a breakthrough season with 22 appearances and three goals.

“I am absolutely buzzing," he told the club website, external. "I have been dying to sign for almost a year now.

"The hard work starts now but I am looking forward to making many more memories representing this Club.”

Sporting Director Kristjaan Speakman added: "Chris’ talent, and more recently his performances within the first team, made interest and speculation inevitable, and it is a testament to all behind the scenes that he has committed his future to our Club.”
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Sunderland have signed former Preston North End captain Alan Browne on a free transfer.

Browne, capped 35 times by the Republic of Ireland, has agreed a three-year contract with Sunderland following the end of his deal with Preston.

The midfielder, 29, had been offered fresh three-year terms by North End but he rejected that and now heads to the Stadium of Light.

He joined Preston from Cork City as a teenager in 2014, helping them win promotion from League One a year later and he has remained in the Championship ever since.

Last season, he played 41 league games and scored four goals as he was named Preston's Player of the Year.

But, after four seasons as skipper at Deepdale, he will now be part of the Black Cats' squad under new French head coach Regis Le Bris.

"It's a big change for me after being at Preston for such a long time, but it's brilliant to be here," Browne told the club's website, external.

"Sunderland is one of the biggest clubs in England and I can't wait to get started."

Sunderland defender Dan Ballard has extended his contract until the end of the 2027-28 season.

The 24-year-old Northern Ireland international joined the Black Cats from Arsenal in July 2022.

He has scored three goals in 62 Championship appearances for the Wearsiders.

"When they came forward to talk about a new deal, it was the only thing I wanted to do, so I’m delighted to have signed it," he told the club website.

Sunderland have signed winger Ian Poveda from Leeds United on a three-year deal with the option of an additional year.

The 24-year-old Colombia international spent the second half of last season at Sheffield Wednesday and was released by Leeds this summer.

"All I want to do is get on the pitch and play for Sunderland," Poveda told the club website., external

London-born Poveda began his senior career at Manchester City, before moving to Leeds on a permanent deal in 2020.

During his four year spell at Elland Road, the winger also had loan spells at Blackburn Rovers and Blackpool.

Sunderland have signed Blondy Nna Noukeu after the former Stoke City goalkeeper impressed on trial with the Championship club.

The 22-year-old, who has been training with Sunderland during the summer, has agreed a two-year deal with an option for a further year.

Noukeu was born in Cameroon and grew up in Belgium, playing youth football for Royal Excel Mouscron, before making the move to Stoke in 2019.

He never made a first team appearance for the Potters and has had loan spells with Crawley and Southend.

"This is the right place for me to be if I want to take my career to the next level," he told the club website., external

"We have a really good group of players and staff so I am looking forward to kicking on."

Sunderland have signed forward Wilson Isidor from Zenit St Petersburg on a season-long loan.

The 23-year-old France youth international has moved from the Russian club in a deal with an option to make the move permanent next summer.

Isidor developed under current Sunderland manager Regis Le Bris, who was a youth coach at Rennes, but the player never appeared in a first-team game for the Ligue 1 side before moving on to Monaco and then Lokomotov Moscow.

He equalled a Russian league record by scoring in each of his first six games for the club but last season moved to rivals Zenit on loan.

Isidor played 21 times for Zenit last term, when they won the Russian Premier League and national cup, before making the move permanent this summer.

He made just five substitute appearances in the current campaign, scoring twice, before Sunderland made their move.

The addition of Isidor comes with the club on the brink of losing star attacking player Jack Clarke, who is expected to sign for Premier League side Ipswich Town in a £15m deal.

Black Cats sporting director Kristjaan Speakman told the club website, external: "Wilson's a mobile and athletic forward, who possesses senior experience and a healthy goalscoring record at the top level.

"We feel he's a good fit with our playing identity and he has the attributes to help the team in forward areas."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »