Thread Rating:
Huddersfield Town v Bristol Rovers
[Image: EUPCR4T.png]

It's been a while...
We last met on Saturday 12th March 2011 at the Memorial Stadium. We left as 1-0 victors with a goal from Jordan Rhodes.

Our team on that day, if you fancy a trip down memory lane...
[Image: FvS8I3P.png]

At the end of that season, we lost in the play-off final at Old Trafford to a certain team managed by a tatie and owned by an even bigger one. Bristol Rovers' season ended even more disastrously with relegation to League Two.
Their lowest point was yet to come, though, when they were relegated out of the league at the end of 2014. They spent one year in the Conference before promotion back to League Two via the play-offs.

Our biggest win versus the Pirates must be the play-off final in 1995 when we won promotion with a 2-1 win at Wembley. I didn't go as my dad had died the day before but my mum and I packed Snoots and the nephew off and told them to come back with some good news...

Fact bomb...
Gareth Taylor who now manages Man City Women played for Bristol Rovers in that final.

League positions, etc...
[Image: sj6UP5N.png]
I don't think that Shrewsbury v Exeter on Thursday will change this.

Top scorers...
[Image: UOWuE96.png]

Matt Taylor who, having been sacked by Rotherham in November 2023, was appointed manager of Bristol Rovers in December 2023.

Played for both...
[Image: R9m3KSk.png]

A nod to the suffragettes of Bristol...
Close to the Memorial Stadium is HMP Bristol in Horfield.
In November 1909 five suffragettes were imprisoned in Horfield Prison as it was known then.
They had been campaigning against Churchill who was visiting Bristol to deliver a speech on why women (and no doubt working class men) should not be allowed to vote. He may have been a hero in WWII but never forget his disdain for us lesser beings.
Their names were Theresa Garnett, Ellen Pitman, Vera Wentworth, Mary Sophia Allen, and Jessie Lawes.
Obviously, this wasn't the only protest but the action against Churchill was what gave them the collective name of  
The Horfield Five.
[Image: Theresa-Garenett-1.jpg]
[Image: Theresa_Garnett_par_Linley_Blathwayt.jpg]  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgScDAYtpeHJfMDl4LL_7...pqcQ64HQ&s]

BEWARE the pirates on the River Colne
[Image: giphy.webp]
Lord Snooty likes this post
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
Nice one, Chaffers. Thumb up

Sadly, after an absolutely brilliant performance as left wing back for Northern Ireland tonight, Brodie Spencer is suspended for this game as he's picked up five yellow cards. Rolleyes
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »