Thread Rating:
Vote for Self-Determination
When you seek out creativity and innovation around the world you almost always find it hand in hand with flatter organisational models where power and decision-making are accessible and in touch with those doing the actual designing, developing and making.

Like every empire throughout human history large organisations tend to become flabby, they develop pyramidal power structures, adopt bureaucratic procedures and become slow and extremely conservative decision-makers, a habit which they tend only to break by adopting wild, on-the-spot, Trumpesque guesses. Managers build empires within empires and the fortresses which they use to protect their own positions become blocks not only to innovation, but also to the satisfaction of other employees. Rules and procedures appear which become more important than the actual aims of the organisation.

I doubt anyone could successfully argue that the EU is not a huge and unwieldy bureaucracy, but perhaps someone will. It even has to physically shift that bureaucracy from one centre to another on a regular basis. Significantly, because the countries making up the EU act individually in health matters many of them appear to have dealt with the pandemic far better than the fairly useless UK. Germany for instance operates its hospital system all the time much further from capacity than us. Every year flu' poses a threat of overwhelming us. Every measure the Germans imposed worked better than our efforts (and that includes Nicola Sturgeon's Scotland).

It is only now that having made the apparently sensible decision to bring together the EU's massive buying power to bear when purchasing vaccines that suddenly the UK has leapt ahead by refusing the invitation to join. The decision what to buy and where to buy was made so slowly that not only did the EU fall miles behind even a daft UK government brilliantly advised by scientists, but it also placed bets on the wrong parts of the roulette wheel. EU regulators have moved so slowly that they are now demanding supplies of a vaccine that they only today will allow themselves to use for the first time. Whilst the UK successfully invested in four vaccines which will enter human bloodstreams the EU was backing a French firm, which might not get there until the the turn of the year and which may decide to switch to producing the Astra-Zeneca vaccine. Already Germany is beginning to make its own arrangements.

And that is the problem with bureaucracies. If you want niceness and fairness with lots of rules at the risk of falling permanently behind the curve, then bureaucracy's the way to go. If you have the capacity to be original and innovative, if you've a reputation for having your own way of thinking and not being particularly bothered whether everyone else agrees with you, if making your own way appeals more than being dictated to (even in a very kindly way!) then don't sign up to join a bureaucracy.

It's not that the EU is an evil empire - it's a rather nice one. It's just that it's fat and getting fatter, and the fatter it gets, the slower it will go. And what's worse is that the less capable it appears of moving, the more self-satisfied it becomes. By its every action it confirms its view of itself. Why else do all its negotiations run to the last day and beyond?

If you think the world seems to be speeding up and that the need to adapt to change will be of prime importance in the future then I can see why any people would seek independence. And I'd always support that desire. Self-determination! And once you've achieved it for gawd's sake don't surrender it, or sell it to anyone.
ritchiebaby likes this post
That sums up my general apathy to bureaucracy, Devongone. The slower the EU gets, the more it demands that everybody else slows down to give it a chance. Your last sentence reinforces my personal stance that Scotland should seek independence but should also avoid being in the EU at all costs.
hibeejim21 and Devongone like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
For only about the second time in 68 years I began to feel like a successful prophet when yesterday I wrote about bureaucracies reverting to wild Trumpian guesses and hours later the EU Commission was building a hard Irish border without even consulting the Irish. "Oh it was a mistake," is bit like the world's fear of Donald Trump mistaking the nuclear button for the toilet flush. Perhaps Ireland needs to consider independence ......

A lot of people in England think Scotland is too small and lacking in economic diversity to be successful as a truly independent country. But Singapore doesn't appear to be particularly inconvenienced by either its own small size, or its much larger neighbour Malaysia. It knows because it is small it has to be smarter.

I'm confident Scotland can and should pursue an independent course if that's what Scottish people want. It has to be better for England too in the long run. We all love sport. How successful are teams in which several players can't stand the manager and form their own little clique openly belittling some of his more off-the-wall decisions?

The Scots have been treated like rebellious teenagers for years. First we promise to listen to them, then we promise them their own junior play parliament, then they do or say something we don't like, or even find a leader to follow ......... and we ......... ground them, send them to their room?????? The Scots too have indulged us long enough, whilst we have to learn to accept them being what they are. Equally moving down the road to live with Uncle Manny and Auntie Angela hardly constitutes living independently.
0762 likes this post
Very good philosophical comments and very accurate indeed. May I add a brief comment re the difference between the EU and the UK. IMO the former is about sharing sovereignty. Whereas the core principle of the latter, the UK, is absolute sovereignty - an imperial form of rule. Enter the routines of Britain's Westminster govt and it is like entering a parallel universe, one in which "absolute sovereignty" generates the logic of legitimacy. It may seem "abstract", such is the impoverished state of Anglo-Britain. In fact it is a reality! The consequence of this state of affairs is dire. The UK is an old multi-national uncodified entity. An arrangement that cannot but feel threatened within a larger, younger constitutionalising entity like the EU. The reckless arrogance of this current PM doesn't just emanate from a rarefied upbringing but from this consciousness of absolute sovereignty. This outlook has been boosted/amplified by the rhetoric of "Global Britain" and "Britannia Unleashed" even as fish lie rotting, 100,000+ Brit people die, endemic corruption is exposed and industries collapse. The idea of cleaving to this madness is untenable and indefensible. One would have to be pathological to do so in these circumstances. Re the Scottish position in the face of all this madness and some factions of the independence movement up here saying we are powerless and impotent in the face of such a antagonistic leader of the Brit govt, I don't think this is the case at all - the situation and the dynamic is changing in lotsa different and imaginative ways that are akin to said indy movement.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »