Sports Babble - sports forum
Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Preston North End (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+----- Thread: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 (/showthread.php?tid=5285)

Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - themaclad - 26-04-2017

What a cracker to end the home season on the Unhappy Millers arrive having had a season to remember, they have played superb fast flowing football all season, battered teams into submission mainly Ipswich and lie rock bottom, having been relegated ages ago. By the looks of it they have not won away this season and last took an away point at Ipswich in November. What better place to arrive than Deepdale to hopefully get your first three points away fom New York this season.
Having let in 13 in our last four games missing two defenders out with long term injuries, luckily Baptiste is back suspension, Pearson and Gallagher both suspended, no better chance for the Millers.
Having had a dire time of it have been impressed by Danny Ward who always seems to score for them, could be a useful signing if he leaves them.
North End need tpo win on Saturday to send the punters home happy although some would grumble if we were 30 points clear at the top of the Premier League, but that's folks for you.
Expect us to win but will not be there to see it as cicket has started no match blog after the game although I'll cut and paste a match report from somewhere.

RE: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - themaclad - 28-04-2017

Barkuizen has a hernia when it's fixed he will be twice as fast as he is now. Ward injured for the Millers.

Match facts

Preston have lost only once in their last 10 games against Rotherham at Deepdale in all competitions (W6 D3), a 0-2 defeat in December 2002.
Excluding play-off games, the Millers haven't beaten Preston in a league game since March 2004, drawing three and losing four since.
Tom Barkhuizen has been directly involved in nine goals in his last 10 league games for Preston (six goals and three assists).
Rotherham have lost 33 league games this season; should they lose at Deepdale, they will set a record for most defeats in a second-tier season in league history (Wimbledon in 2003-04 - 33).
The Millers could also become the first team to concede 100+ goals in a second-tier season since Stockport in 2001-02 (currently on 96).
Preston need just a point to better their points tally from last season of 62 where they finished 11th. They last had consecutive top-half finishes in the Championship between 2005 and 2007.

RE: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - themaclad - 29-04-2017

Relegated Rotherham United maintained their improved late-season form with a draw against top-half side Preston North End at Deepdale.

Midfielder Richard Smallwood scored his first goal for the club in over a year to put them in front on nine minutes with a left-foot shot from outside the box into the bottom right corner.

But Stevie May levelled on 41 minutes, with a shot into the top corner.

Rotherham have now picked up five points from their last four matches.

But this was only their second in 23 away league games throughout the entire campaign.

Had they lost, they would have set a new record for the most defeats in a second-tier season. But, going into next Sunday's final game at home to Derby, they currently share that with Wimbledon, who also lost 33 times in the 2003-04 season.

They still need to conceded three more goals to become the first team to concede 100+ goals in a season at this level since Stockport County in 2001-02.

Preston's point betters their tally of 62 from last season, when they finished 11th, which is where they again currently stand ahead of next Sunday's trip to face Wolves at Molineux.

Apparently May's goal is a cracker well chuffed for him had a very bad injury now on the way back, looks like we've given up trying to get three points, one last chance at Wolves next Sunday, a dinner time rendezvous with the Zam Zams, and for one last once this season your roving reporter has stumped up £30 for a ticket for a game with sweet FA on it.

RE: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - St Charles Owl - 29-04-2017

Happy for May to get back playing and getting a goal. He has it in him, you just have to figure out how to get him to realize it!!

RE: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - themaclad - 29-04-2017

Losing him for over a year hasn't helped but glad he got a start.

RE: Rotherham United @ Deepdale 29/4/2017 - themaclad - 30-04-2017

Preston boss Simon Grayson:

"We wanted to get that feel-good vibe back and put the last few results behind us, so it wasn't the best way to finish the home season, but we can still be very proud of what we have done.

"We are very close to getting more points than last year, we've scored more goals, we are on course to finish higher positionally and that was always the aim.

"I'm a little bit disappointed with the performance because we have had some really good ones against some good teams, we have played some free-flowing football and we wanted to produce a performance for the supporters today.

"But we started too slowly, we didn't ask question of Rotherham and it was a little bit predictable and ponderous."

Rotherham boss Paul Warne:

"The lads stuck to the game plan really well, we defended resolutely to the last minute.

"Back to front I thought we were great. We got on top with a great goal from Richie and their goal was a wonder strike and that is what it has taken to get past us.

"A few games ago I told the lads to use this as a mini-season and I think their standards in all of those games has been excellent.

"I am pretty proud of what the lads have put in and I think there are green shoots for next season, so I am a proud manager."