Sports Babble - sports forum
Saints News - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Barclays Premier League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+----- Forum: Southampton (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+----- Thread: Saints News (/showthread.php?tid=12439)

Pages: 1 2

Saints News - themaclad - 16-06-2023

Former England international Theo Walcott and Mohamed Elyounoussi will leave Southampton when their contracts expire at the end of the month.

Forward Walcott, 34, rejoined the Saints in 2020 and scored two goals in 24 appearances last season as the club were relegated from the Premier League.

Norway forward Elyounoussi, 28, scored nine goals in 90 games after his switch from Swiss side Basel in 2018.

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Willy Caballero is in talks over a new contract.

The 41-year-old Argentine has featured five times since joining the club in December 2021.

Southampton saw their 11-year stay in the top flight come to an end after finishing bottom last season, having had three different managers over the course of the campaign.

Russell Martin is set to be appointed as Southampton boss, but the move is being held up by a disagreement over compensation due to Championship rivals Swansea City for his services.

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 01-07-2023

Southampton winger Mislav Orsic has completed a transfer to Turkish side Trabzonspor, the Championship club have confirmed.

The 30-year-old joined the Saints in January on a two-and-a-half-year deal from Croatian side Dinamo Zagreb.

He made just five appearances, with just one in the Premier League, as they were relegated to the Championship.

"The club wishes Mislav luck for the future," the club said in a statement on their website.

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 13-07-2023

Southampton have signed Manchester City midfielder Shea Charles for an undisclosed fee.

The 19-year-old, who has won eight caps for Northern Ireland, has signed a four-year deal at St Mary's.

He made his Premier League debut for champions City in the final game of last season against Brentford.

"Shea is a very talented, intelligent and mature young player with great potential to develop his game with us," Saints boss Russell Martin said.

Charles is Southampton's second signing as they prepare for life back in the Championship after Swansea left-back Ryan Manning joined on Tuesday.

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 20-07-2023

Midfielder Ibrahima Diallo has left Southampton after almost three years to join Qatari side Al-Duhail SC.

The 24-year-old joined the Saints in 2020 from French side Brest on a four-year deal believed to be worth £11m.

He made 81 appearances for the club, while his one goal came in an EFL Cup game at Sheffield United in 2021.

However, of the 18 Premier League matches Diallo played in last season, only 11 were starts as Saints were relegated to the Championship.

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 03-08-2023

Duje Caleta-Car playing for Southampton
Duje Caleta-Car played for Southampton in pre-season
Southampton's Croatia defender Duje Caleta-Car has joined French Ligue 1 side Olympique Lyonnais on loan.

The 26-year-old, who played 19 times for Saints last season, has agreed a season-long deal in France.

The centre-back moved to St Mary's last summer from Marseille for a fee reportedly in the region of £8m.

He is the latest player to depart the club following Saints' relegation from the Premier League - Mohammed Salisu moved to Monaco on Thursday.

Ibrahima Diallo has joined Qatari side Al-Duhail while there is still speculation linking Romeo Lavia with a move to Liverpool.

Newcastle United have agreed a deal for Southampton right-back Tino Livramento worth £40m including add-ons, reports BBC Radio Solent.

The 20-year-old joined the south-coast club from Chelsea in 2021 for £5m.

Livramento's departure comes after Southampton were relegated from the Premier League last season.

The England Under-21 defender made just two outings last term after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury in April 2022.

He came on as a substitute in Southampton's final two games of campaign against Brighton and Liverpool.

Livramento played 32 games during the 2021-22 season, 28 of those in the Premier League.

Newcastle have signed Italy midfielder Sandro Tonali and England winger Harvey Barnes this summer as the Tyneside club look to push on from their top-four finish last season.

Eddie Howe's side begin the new Premier League campaign on 12 August when they host Aston Villa.

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 05-08-2023

Southampton defender Jack Stephens has signed a new two-year contract with the Championship club.

The 29-year-old has been at St Mary's since he was 17, when he moved from Plymouth Argyle, and has made 151 appearances so far for Saints.

Last season the Cornish-born defender played 17 Premier League games as Southampton finished bottom to end an 11-year top flight stay.

His deal comes as Duje Caleta-Car and Tino Livramento leave the club.

Livramento agreed a £40m deal to join Newcastle United on Thursday while Croatia defender Caleta-Car has signed for Lyon and there is still speculation linking Romeo Lavia with a move to Liverpool.

"I'm very pleased. It's nice to get it all sorted before the season starts and just allows me to focus on the football and hopefully have a positive season," Stephens told the club website.

"I think over the summer there was a lot of uncertainty over what was going on.

"But I had some good conversations with the manager and he made it clear that he wanted me to stay and I've loved working with him these first few weeks.

"I'm really confident that we're going to have a good season, so it was an easy decision for me to sign the contract and I'm really happy."

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 18-08-2023

Chelsea have completed the signing of Belgium midfielder Romeo Lavia from Southampton for an initial £53m.

The 19-year-old has signed a seven-year contract in a deal which could rise by a further £5m with add-ons.

Lavia made 34 appearances in all competitions last season but could not help prevent Saints' relegation from the Premier League.

"I'm really happy join Chelsea and be a part of this exciting project," said Lavia.

"It's an amazing football club with a great history and I'm really excited to get started.

"I can't wait to meet all my new team-mates and build a chemistry to achieve great things together."

Liverpool were also keen on Lavia, but the Reds had a third bid - believed to have been for around £46m including add-ons - rejected by Southampton earlier this month.

Lavia becomes the second player this week to have opted for Chelsea over Jurgen Klopp's side, following in the footsteps of Moises Caicedo, who joined the Blues from Brighton for a £100m fee which could rise to a British record £115m.

Having come through the youth system at Anderlecht, Lavia moved to Manchester City in 2020 after being spotted at a tournament in Belgium attended by Pep Guardiola. The youngster made just two senior appearances at City - in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup - as he struggled to break into the club's first team and joined Saints in July 2022 for £10.5m.

Todd Boehly at Stamford Bridge
How can Chelsea keep spending and stay within financial rules?

City will collect 20% (£10.6m) of the initial £53m fee received by Southampton because of a sell-on clause.

Lavia made his debut for the Belgium national team earlier this year, coming on as a substitute with ten minutes to play in a friendly victory over Germany.

In a statement, Southampton paid tribute to Lavia for his "efforts and professionalism" during his one season with the club, wishing him "every success in what [they] are sure will be a fantastic career".

Lavia thanked Southampton fans for their support in a goodbye message on Instagram.

"I've instantly felt the love for you all despite us not achieving our shared goals," Lavia wrote.

"I'll never forget the belief the club and Saints all around the world showed me and I hope I was able to repay the faith you put in me.

"I would especially like to thank all my teammates and staff members within the club. You have all played a massive part in making my integration into real professional football easier.

"For those reasons, this club will always remain close to my heart. Good luck this season and I look forward to seeing the club marching back to the Premier League where it belongs very soon!"

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 21-08-2023

hampionship side Southampton have signed West Ham United midfielder Flynn Downes on loan until the end of the season.

The 24-year-old has made 35 appearances for the Hammers since joining from Swansea City last summer.

Downes played under current Saints boss Russell Martin during his year-long spell with the Swans, scoring one goal in 39 outings for the Welsh club.

He began his career at Ipswich Town and has spent time on loan at Luton Town.

"Flynn is a really dynamic player and someone who will add a lot of quality in midfield," Southampton director of football Jason Wilcox told the club website.

"He's got a great relationship with Russell and his coaching staff already, which means he also comes in with a real understanding of the system and how we want to play, which is ideal for both us and him."

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 28-08-2023

Southampton midfielder Will Smallbone has signed a new three-year contract.

The 23-year-old, who joined the club aged eight, made18 league appearances either side of an anterior cruciate ligament injury in January 2021.

The Republic of Ireland international spent last season on loan at Championship side Stoke City where he made 46 appearances.

"Coming back and seeing the change and everything that's happened has been a breath of fresh air," he said.

Smallbone has turned out twice this season under new Southampton boss Russell Martin, who joined in the summer from Championship side Swansea. His new deal runs until 2026.

"I was really excited to work with the manager having played against them last year and their style of play, I thought it was something that would really help me," Smallbone added.

"It's only grown since I've come back, that belief and positivity in the side and myself, I've really enjoyed it."

Director of Football, Jason Wilcox, said: "Will has been here since the age of eight and knows exactly what it means to play for this club.

"He has really bought into Russell's philosophy and has already shown how important he is to our project and I'm delighted he has signed this new contract."

RE: Saints News - themaclad - 29-08-2023

Southampton defender Lyanco has joined Qatar Stars League club Al Gharafa on a season-long loan deal.

The 26-year-old Brazilian centre-back has scored one goal in 49 appearances since joining Saints on a four-year contract from Torino in August 2021.

He has only featured once this season, starting the EFL Cup first-round defeat by Gillingham on 8 August.

Meanwhile, midfielder Kazeem Olaigbe has left the club in a permanent move to join Belgian side Cercle Bruges.

The 20-year-old Belgium youth international leaves St Mary's having never made a first-team appearance.

He joined Saints from Anderlecht as a 16-year-old and played six times for Saints Under-21s, scoring six goals.

Olaigbe was sent on loan to Ross County at the start of last season before joining Harrogate Town, also on loan, in January.