Sports Babble - sports forum
Canaries news - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Norwich City (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+----- Thread: Canaries news (/showthread.php?tid=12305)

Pages: 1 2 3

Canaries news - themaclad - 05-05-2023

Long-serving goalkeeper Michael McGovern, defender Sam Byram and midfielder Kieran Dowell are leaving Norwich City when their contracts expire in the summer.

McGovern, 38, joined from then Scottish Premiership side Hamilton Academical in July 2016, playing 10 times as they won the Championship title in 2020-21.

Byram, 29, signed from West Ham in July 2019 and made 54 appearances in total.

Dowell, who is 25, scored 12 goals in 76 games in three years at the club.

Northern Ireland international McGovern made 42 appearances in seven years, making the majority of those in his first season at Carrow Road.

"Michael has enjoyed two promotions and has been an outstanding professional throughout his time with us," Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber said.

"Kieran and Sam both enjoyed being in the squad for the record-breaking points tally we have achieved in the Championship in 2021, with Kieran scoring some valuable goals during the run in.

"We wish all of the players well."

The club, who are losing striker Teemu Pukki this summer, also announced the departure of winger Josh Martin, 21, and 26-year-old midfielder Danel Sinani at the end of their deals.

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 17-05-2023

Championship club Norwich City have signed Burnley forward Ashley Barnes on a free transfer.

The 33-year-old will join the Canaries on 1 July when the summer transfer window opens.

Barnes, who scored 54 goals in 293 appearances for Burnley, has signed a two-year deal at Carrow Road after ending a nine-year stay at the Clarets.

Barnes, who also had a lengthy spell at Brighton, helped Burnley win promotion to the Premier League this season.

"I am delighted, over the moon that it's finally done. I think the ambition to get back into the Premier League was the main thing," he said.

"The conversations I had (with sporting director Stuart Webber and manager David Wagner) were brilliant, they showed me how they wanted me to play and how they want me to fit in to the group and I'm happy to totally push us forward and try to get us promoted next season."

Barnes was a fringe player for the Clarets as they topped 100 points and bounced straight back into the top flight in manager Vincent Kompany's first season, but he still played a role, scoring twice in the 3-0 derby win over Blackburn as well as important goals in wins away to promotion rivals Luton and Middlesbrough.

Promotion this season was the third time Barnes has helped the Clarets out of the Championship, and he also helped Brighton win promotion from League One in 2011.

RE: Canaries news - Lord Snooty - 17-05-2023

Wagner not been sacked yet? I was hoping he'd come back to us.

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 17-05-2023

Never go back unless you are Grant McCann or Darren Ferguson

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 31-05-2023

Defender Jack Stacey has joined Norwich from Bournemouth on a three-year deal.

The 27-year-old full-back has spent the past four seasons with The Cherries and was part of the side who won promotion back to the Premier League in 2022.

Stacey is Norwich's second signing after finishing seven points outside the Championship play-offs, with forward Ashley Barnes having joined on a free transfer from Burnley.

"It's a club whose ambitions match mine," Stacey told the club website.

"I feel like I'm coming into my peak years, I've got experience from being around different clubs.

"I want to get back to the Premier League and this is the perfect club to do that."

Stacey began his career at Reading before a successful move to Luton, winning back-to-back promotions, and then a £4m transfer to Bournemouth in 2019.

He made 98 appearances on the south coast and helped the club win the Championship in the 2021-22 season.

Norwich head coach David Wagner added: "Jack has all of the characteristics that a modern-day full-back requires and knows exactly what it takes to be successful at this level.

"We're delighted to have won the race to sign him, and to have got the deal done early, as we know there was a lot of interest in him."

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 01-07-2023

Norwich have signed Spanish winger Borja Sainz on a three-year contract after he left Turkish club Giresunspor.

The 22-year-old, who played for his country at under-19 level, scored nine goals in 32 games last season.

Sainz began his career at Alaves, making 40 appearances in La Liga, and also featured for Real Zaragoza before moving to Turkey.

"He's a young player, but already has good minutes in the top levels," said Canaries head coach David Wagner.

"You could really feel his desire to come in and make an impact. He is hungry to prove himself, exactly the kind of player we want to have in our group."

Subject to international clearance, Sainz will become the fourth addition to Norwich's squad so far this summer.

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 25-07-2023

Norwich City have signed winger Christian Fassnacht from Swiss side Young Boys for an undisclosed fee.

The Canaries have signed the Switzerland international on a two-year deal, with the option of an additional year.

Fassnacht, 29, will reunite with Canaries boss David Wagner, who he played under at Young Boys.

"To challenge myself outside of Switzerland, in this club, for me, it is a dream come true," he said.

"I know the head coach very well. Of course, this was a big part of my decision to come to the club.

"We talked a lot and he gave me a really good feeling to make this move."

Fassnacht, who has four goals in 19 international caps for Switzerland, has played all of his club career in his homeland, and joined Young Boys in 2017.

In his first season he helped guide Young Boys to their first Swiss league title in 32 years, and the first of five league titles during his stay.

The right winger has Champions League and Europa League experience, scoring 75 times in 251 appearances for Young Boys.

"He is a player I know very well, a top professional, and he was desperate to come join us and test himself with a new experience," said Wagner.

"He has a track record, with many goals and assists at the top level in Switzerland and for the national team."

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 31-07-2023

Norwich City midfielder Liam Gibbs has signed a new long-term contract to run until the summer of 2028.

Gibbs moved to Carrow Road from East Anglian rivals Ipswich in 2021 and made 37 appearances last season.

The 20-year-old also scored his first league goal for the Canaries in a 2-0 win at Blackburn in April.

"If I can contribute more goals and more assists, and really help us push for promotion, that's what I'm aiming to do," he told the club website.

"Every game I played [last season] I felt like I learned something. The more the season went on, the more comfortable I felt in the team."

Norwich start the season with a home game against Hull City on Saturday.

Listen to BBC Radio Norfolk's The Scrimmage podcast

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 06-08-2023

Norwich City winger Christos Tzolis has joined German club Fortuna Dusseldorf on a season-long loan.

The Greek international joined the Canaries from PAOK Salonika in the summer of 2020 for £8.8m.

He has only started six league games since his arrival at Carrow Road and spent the first half of last season on loan with FC Twente in Dutch football.

Dusseldorf are in German football's second tier and have begun the new season with four points from two games.

"My goal is to play as many games as possible and to help the team with my skills," Tzolis told the club website.

"I felt the trust of those responsible from the beginning of the talks and I hope that we will all have a successful time together."

RE: Canaries news - themaclad - 17-08-2023

Norwich City have confirmed winger Milot Rashica has left the Championship club and signed for Turkish top-flight side Besiktas for an undisclosed fee.

The 27-year old joined the Canaries from Bundesliga club Werder Bremen for £9.4m ahead of their return to the Premier League in 2021-22.

But the Kosovo forward could not help Norwich avoid relegation at the end of that season.

He spent the bulk of last term on loan in Turkey with Galatasaray.

Rashica scored four goals in 26 appearances as Galatasaray went on to win the title.

He played his last game for Norwich in a Carabao Cup tie against Bournemouth in August 2022.

Find all the latest football transfers on our dedicated page.