Sports Babble - sports forum
Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread (/showthread.php?tid=4817)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - hibeejim21 - 11-12-2016

Sometimes Tony Pullis makes me question my love of football.

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - valpayne - 11-12-2016

Ahh! C'mon we surely cant moan about the style of football away to Chelsea can we? Top of the table 9 wins this is not a team you can go gung ho at youll get creamed and your goal average will suffer as a result. Pulis played this the right way IMO they had 12 shots 2 on target we had 6 shots 1 on target. Were 8th in the table after recent results lets not be churlish about a 1-0 loss away to chelsea. I've watched a number of games recently and a lot of the football on show isn't much to shout about from most prem teams. I would suggest as I have before this is the prem its not the beautiful game la liga is the the league to watch if you like pretty football. Must be down to the weather lol!

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - talkSAFT - 11-12-2016

Nice of you to grace our Board, Jim.
Haven't seen the match. What was it like, Baggie fans?

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - BaggieSteve - 11-12-2016

I thought it was a huge improvement on our earlier game against Liverpool. We looked to use the ball positively and to bring Rondon and Phillips into the game but, as Valpayne rightly said, we are away at Chelsea so it's not a game for going gung-ho, not that TP recognises such an expression. Whilst Chelsea had twice the possession, they had only two shots on target and while we only had one, there were two excellent efforts by Rondon and Brunt that just went wide. Where we often fall down is our ability to retain possession, so often we won the ball but then gave it straight back to Chelsea so that, in the end, I just felt a goal would probably come. Ironically it came from a mistake by GMac who has been one of our stars this season, although brilliantly finished by Costa. We were so well organised that you felt if would require a mistake for them to score. I've been critical of Pulis in the past and his negative approach to our style of play but today that would be unfair. We were competitive and looked to be positive but when you're away to Chelsea, you also need to be realistic.
HibeeJim, your comment made me smile. As someone who has lived in Scotland for 35 years and watched a shed load of Scottish football at all levels, I can honestly say it's bloody terrible. The basic quality is so poor that games end up being determined by the level of effort, with the occasional flash of ability. You won't find anyone on this board who is an outright Pulis fan and most of us have reservations about his approach although not his ability. However, in comparison to your manager, Neil Lennon, we have someone of SAF proportions.

HibeeJim, your comment made me smile. As someone who has lived in Scotland for 35 years and watched a shed load of Scottish football at all levels, I can honestly say it's bloody terrible. The basic quality is so poor that games end up being determined by the level of effort, with the occasional flash of ability. You won't find anyone on this board who is an outright Pulis fan and most of us have reservations about his approach although not his ability. However, in comparison to your manager, Neil Lennon, we have someone of SAF proportions.
[/quote]

scottish fitba is shite,I'm no denying that,But it exists on a fraction of the money the epl does. Still even taking that into account lennon has achieved way more in the game than tony pulis.

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - talkSAFT - 11-12-2016

(11-12-2016, 18:50)hibeejim21 Wrote: Still even taking that into account lennon has achieved way more in the game than tony pulis.

You're obviously talking about his playing career. Winning the Scottish League with Celtic is not even worth talking about. I don't like Pulis' style, but his record as Manager knocks spots off Lennon's.

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - bomberbrown1968 - 11-12-2016

(11-12-2016, 18:50)hibeejim21 Wrote: Still even taking that into account lennon has achieved way more in the game than tony pulis.

So, will have Brendan Rodgers for as long as he's Celtic manager, anyone before him and every one after him Tongue Tongue

I reckon I could win more honours managing the only competitive team in Scotland.

Really disappointed today we were worth a point and absolutely nothing wrong with TP's tactics or how we played, it took a mistake to beat us and Foster hardly had a busy time. Up until then we didn't look like conceding and I thought we honestly looked capable of scoring.

Chelsea and their bench were hugely relieved to see us off and there won't be many times this season that we'll see that Thumb up Thumb up

Has tony pulis ever took a side to the knockout rounds of the champions league with a side built on a budget that would be outspent by an average championship side the day? Along the way that celtic side beat probably the best club side of all time. That knocks spots of anything pulis has done so far,or is likely to do.

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - St Charles Owl - 11-12-2016

Thought you guys were going to get something out of this one and aside from a great goal by Costa you would have done!!!

As for the Lennon v Pulis debate, for me neither of them have been given the chance they should have been. When we get promoted I would happily take Pulis off your hands for a few years to stabilize us!!!! Lennon should have been given a better opportunity than a Bolton team near admin after his success at Celtic, still think he is a better manager than the chances he has been given.

RE: Chelsea vs WBA - Match Thread - bomberbrown1968 - 11-12-2016

Not knocking what he did achieve jim but there was only ever 1 team who were going to win the league in Scotland, if Celtic spent like a championship side, the rest spent like Conference teams and less. So yes he has achieved more than Pulis but so will Rodgers and anyone else who manages Celtic, end of.

Along the way he'll probably get the scalps of a couple of the big boys, but that's about it, the same as Lennon whose honours amount to Scottish football which you admit is shit, his time managing in England was a nightmare with an average Championship side like Bolton, albeit financially ruined, he certainly didn't weave any of his magic there and as a result are now league 1. No honours for keeping them up, but I do think Pulis would have ground out more points for them although I accept it probably would't have been very pretty.

Albions performance today would turn nobody away from football, you should see some of our earlier games for that. The fact is we have not become so hard to watch for the last few games and I, personally, am encouraged by how we've changed.