Sports Babble - sports forum
WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread (/showthread.php?tid=4838)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 15-12-2016

[Image: DSC_0190.jpg]

Bobby Cram and Denis Law go head to head as Albion face Man Utd on the opening day of the season; 20th August 1966

Our little blizzard of Christmas fixtures continues unabated on Saturday evening with the televised visit of Manchester United to the Hawthorns, hot on the heels of a midweek win for both sides. After Big Sal scored Albion's first league hat-trick since Romelu Lukaku (which came, oddly enough, against Manchester United at home) and the pundits lavished praise on an increasingly entertaining Albion side, spirits are fairly high.

While I'm all for cautious optimism, the chances are that we won't face a more inept and demoralised defence at the Shrine this season than Swansea's, and it goes without saying that Man Utd will, as always, be a different proposition entirely. Not an invincible one by any means, but a mere three league defeats this season and a seven-week unbeaten run somewhat papers over the fact that United tend to struggle for goals - going into this match Albion have scored more than them - and more than once they've found themselves with backs to the wall in the dying minutes trying to preserve a 1-0 lead, or else a point from a fragile stalemate. Though we haven't had a full-on Mourinho Meltdown just yet, you can't help but feel that it's only a matter of time.

There's no doubt that they have the players to cause us problems, and I can only hope that Jonny Evans will be fit again, because if we have to leave Zlatan Ibrahimovich to the custody of Jonas then things are going to go badly. Likewise Yacob and Fletcher will need to be alert to handle Pogba, and Pulis faces a tough decision on whether to go back to having Nyom on the left and Dawson on the right, or whether to stick with Wednesday's set-up which vastly benefits Nyom at the cost of leaving Brunt a bit vulnerable. Rondon almost certainly won't enjoy the same number of chances he had in midweek, so it's up to him to be ruthless and clinical if or when they come.

Whatever the outcome, I hope this won't lapse into being a cautious or cagey encounter, and that we can really bring the fireworks. Let's give the nation a dose of the new-look Albion.

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Beefy 1965 - 15-12-2016

I see Man Ure are being treated like Fergie was in charge again,

That Rojo bloke has just got away with two blatant two footed challenges in the last two games,
Zlatan was up against a disaplinary board this afternoon for a blatant off the ball elbow,
Apparently two of the three on the panel judged him guilty but because all three have to agree
He was let off with no ban
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Whistle

Now if James McLean goes in two footed on Saturday,
I just wonder what Mourinho's response will be ..........................................
Especially if the Ref only gives a yellow Rolleyes

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 15-12-2016

Haven't seen the previous one, but the two-footer against Palace was as blatant as they come. That's disgraceful.

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Beefy 1965 - 16-12-2016

(15-12-2016, 22:31)Ska Wrote: Haven't seen the previous one, but the two-footer against Palace was as blatant as they come.  That's disgraceful.

The one against Everton was worse mate,
A lot higher and could have snapped the other man's leg !!!!

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - drewks - 16-12-2016

Utd are there for the taking IMO.
Pogba is so overated it's not true.
2-0 to us Thumb up

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - WBA-Josh - 16-12-2016

Foster
Nyom - McAuley - Evans - Brunt
Yacob
Phillips - Fletcher - Morrison - Chadli
Rondon

Subs
Palmer
Dawson
Galloway
Gardner
Leko
McLean
Robson-Kanu

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Stathemwasthebestever - 16-12-2016

(16-12-2016, 14:32)WBA-Josh Wrote:
Foster
Nyom - McAuley - Evans - Brunt
Yacob
Phillips - Fletcher - Morrison - Chadli
Rondon

Subs
Palmer
Dawson
Galloway
Gardner
Leko
McLean
Robson-Kanu

Suspect Pulis will put Dawson back in if Evans is fit. If Evans is not fit I believe there is an argument for Dawson playing in the centre.

Also, I have been very critical of Pulis. Recent games suggest I was wrong, so apols to Mr Pulis - keep it up.

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - talkSAFT - 16-12-2016

Olsson seems to have upset 1 or 2 on here lately.
I know his passing was atrocious on Weds, but unless I missed a couple of incidents, he looked ok defensively, and I still think he's a decent enough Stopper to make the bench at least, and a good enough Sub at that. All I'd say to him (if I were Coach) is not to try the long ball (which invariably goes to the Opposition) but to play it square - or backwards - every time.

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 16-12-2016

(16-12-2016, 16:32)talkSAFT Wrote: Olsson seems to have upset 1 or 2 on here lately.
I know his passing was atrocious on Weds, but unless I missed a couple of incidents, he looked ok defensively, and I still think he's a decent enough Stopper to make the bench at least, and a good enough Sub at that. All I'd say to him (if I were Coach) is not to try the long ball (which invariably goes to the Opposition) but to play it square - or backwards - every time.

It wasn't just his passing; he was Bambi on ice at times. That powder-puff tackle which led to the Swansea goal was atrocious, and the ball he left which Brunty had to deal with (and nearly turned into an own-goal) was a terrible bit of decision-making. I think the worst thing is that he didn't even look arsed when Brunty and Fozzy were trying to have words with him about this stuff.

I could let him off if it was an isolated game, but all this has been increasingly happening with him for years.

RE: WBA vs Man Utd - Match Thread - HRK - 16-12-2016

Have to agree with Olsson being on the decline, particularly the past two seasons. He doesn't help himself when he's been flying the V's at the crowd and spitting in the direction of the crowd when they've been on his back during this time.

All things aside he's been a fantastic servant to the club and it's a testament to him that it's only since Evans arrived on the scene he's been more on the periphery of the first team squad. Will no doubt have another 3-4 season's in him. As to where he'll move to I'd guess that either Serie A or Eredivisie would suit him more at this stage of his career.

Anyway, on topic - I am not expecting anything from this game. What I would definitely like to see if us having a go at United instead of sitting back and soaking up pressure like away at Chelsea. Yes, we did nearly take a point at the Bridge and that would have been a great result but United are there for the taking and I'd rather we roll the dice and gamble, throw the kitchen sink at em and go for 3 points or nothing.

There won't be a better time to do it than on their current run imo.