Thread Rating:
Sparta Prague v Celtic - last match for Neil Lennon?
Well I think this is a Europa League fixture in which Celtic will try try to recover their pride after being humiliated by a SP "B" or "C" team that won 1-4 at Celtic Park OR they are gonna be "skelped" again and that defeat could usher Lennon out of the manager's "hot seat" esp after fans' banners unfurled at Parkhead demanding his immediate removal. How long can Dermot Desmond withstand the pressure? A Celtic win tonight would certainly give Lennon and Desmond some "breathing space".
Been dipping in and out of this while watching another game and they have defended shambolically. Lennon cant have much longer to go.

I heard from someone who is usually not far away on the rumour front that Steve Clarke has been approached to take over as interim manager if it goes really bad.

Edit : Its gone really bad Laugh
FT 4-1 and Celtic have lost eight goals to a team that is in crisis in their own domestic league, is an average side TBH, were rightly bottom of the group preceding the first leg at Celtic Park but they have a prolific striker!! Absolutely shambolic defending and Lennon effectively doesn't know what is his best team is. The "defining moment" in this game was on a 2-1 score line in the 2nd half and Edouard missing a "sitter" from 4 metres to make it 2-2 and "game on" after showing a lotta spirit up to that point and the players definitely tried hard to turn the game. But "suckered on the counter punch" BIG TIME!! IMO this match just confirms again that Celtic have a goalie prob, an issue I perceived for quite a while now - poor previous transfer business by Lennon! I do think Celtic are better being "shot" of Euro footie involvement at this current time but the manner of their elimination has left Neil Lennon massively exposed to critical scrutiny and possible removal.
I know one thing, those players are better than they are showing right now. Lennon cant have much longer to go on this form, eventually the heat will end up on the board and thats when they will shite it and make the change. Thats what happens pretty much at every club.
The removal of Lennon is mow almost certain but the new man will have his work cut out to improve the standard, especially in defence,of the current squad. It will probably cost millions to replace some of the dross parading as quality footballers and shows up Lawwell's lack of investment when he had the chance to put Celtic well out of sight to the rest of Scotland and make them a major force in Europe. Celtic might take years to recover.
I don't concur with the insinuation of "years to recover" TBF! There is a decent team in this group of players, only Lennon has not chosen it and appears to have lost all motivational attributes. One of Lennon's biggest failings has been on the goalkeeping "front" - IMO two duds, Baines and Barkas, while losing out on a goalie stalwart, Fraser Forster (still doesn't get "game time" at Southampton!!!) and letting Craig Gordon go instead of convincing him to remain for this particular season. Also his use/organisation of certain players in wing back and CB positions has been poor judgement and his transfer activity in September was shit! However, Lady Luck has not been kind to Lennon since the start of the season, a COVID footie season btw! Bolingoli needlessly lost due to ill-discipline and playing well while with his loan club in Turkey. Two COVID incidents plus injuries to key players were disruptive to his team plans while, to a lesser extent, I think the lack of Celtic crowds has not helped this particular team either. Some Celtic players playing lotsa demanding matches in Euro footie and for Scotland. Therefore not as fresh as one would imagine.
The breaking news today that the Hoops have lost 0-2 to Ross Co in another "flat" performance at home, prob worse than their previous lucky draw v Hibs at ER Stadium, just confirmed that Lennon has no control over how this misfiring team can play any more - an ignominious end to an unbeaten domestic cup record spanning back to April 2016! I'll be very surprised if he is not gone by noon tomorrow and the "good betting money" is on a solid "organiser", certainly defensively, being swiftly brought in to the club to stabilise things and move on positively from there. That organiser is Steve Clarke. Watch this space.
He's done now, Some ugly scenes outside Celtic Park as well, just xxxx crazy stuff and it will make sure fans get nowhere near grounds this season. Idiots.
Still the sellick board have created this situation - they should have mutually agreed a departure weeks ago. They have gone backwards badly this season and now the wheels have came off.

I've heard Lennon will be gone in the morning and they are looking to bring in an experienced interim manager til the end of the season. Clarke has already been sounded out I heard, but he is happy based down south though and whether he will fancy the gig we will have to wait and see.
Gotta just add there were 100s n 100s of Rangers fans outside Falkirk's Stadium obviously not protesting but no social distancing and again Police having trouble moving them on!! I'm expecting the Scot Govt and Police to swiftly deal with this latest prob by footie fans who think they are f####### well different from other affected groups of our population during this crisis - TOUGH ACTION REQUIRED!!
You're spot on and really quick action is needed but as per usual the powers that be will huff and puff and in time it will all be forgotten.
What the "idiots " involved have done is make it certain that fans will not be allowed back into grounds for the forceable future so we"ll all have to suffer.
0762 likes this post
At least they won't see the possible winning of any trophies live from the stands eh!! HOW IRONIC!!
hibeejim21 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »