Thread Rating:
Breaking News
(26-11-2020, 19:47)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(26-11-2020, 19:32)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(26-11-2020, 19:01)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(26-11-2020, 18:25)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(26-11-2020, 17:24)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote: I mean, given that the guy who started this thread with the Madonna gag is neither English nor British, I think it's fair to say that Diego's reputation as a bit of a pillock transcends national boundaries.  But hey, if you want to pretend it's all about '86, have at it.

You do realise there are at least 2 references to 86 on here as well?  And one about his drug addiction? Oh aye you wrote that one.

All of *two* references to 1986?  My God, how obsessive we must be!  Rolleyes

Not sure how my coke joke relates to '86 either, unless you think he was on the magic powder for that one.  But then, you were clutching at straws to begin with, so a few more won't hurt.

I didn't think your 'joke' related to 86, I just thought it reeked of bitterness, the kind that could only stem from shilton being unable to out jump someone 5ft 5 in that year.

Then you were wrong.  In comparison, when Luis Suarez hangs up his boots, if the media start fawning over him being one of the great strikers of his time then I'll still point out his cheating and general knobheadery; not because he's done anything especially objectionable to my club or my country, but because that behaviour's been blindingly obvious to even the most neutral observer.

So yeah.  Can't speak for everyone, obviously, but for me at least, it is about the player being a pillock.  Happy to extend that attitude to any footballer.

You will be finding it hard to praise a lot of great players then. Cos loads of them are pillocks, loads.

No one is going to fawn over Suarez in the UK, they will over the likes of Gascoigne though. He destroyed both Scotland and Hibs in my time but I can still say he was a brilliant player even though he is a complete arsehole.

What would the game be without these kind of characters?

(27-11-2020, 00:32)Lord Snooty Wrote: He managed to out run ageing carthoss Peter Reid. Laugh

And if it was now, the dodgy goals committee would've put it down as an own goal.  Whistle

I thought he sent him out the stadium for a burger ? Wink
Oh, Gazza was (and probably still is) a weapons-grade plank. No argument there. Doesn't stop me praising his footballing talent - as well as slagging off his bad side - any more than Maradona's idiocy has stopped me praising his. And I'm happy to leave it there, because I'm not really interested in arguing the toss over it forever.
hibeejim21 likes this post
I would like to know how Maradona is revered as a genius, for me he never will be, he cheated he took drugs he was supposedly looked after by the mafia. but I hate cheats Suarez is the same. This is my opinion I won’t get into any arguments over this but I was never a fan for all we know he could have been on them drugs virtually is whole career.
(27-11-2020, 00:58)wba13 Wrote: I would like to know how Maradona is revered as a genius, for me he never will be, he cheated he took drugs he was supposedly looked after by the mafia.  but I hate cheats Suarez is the same.  This is my opinion I won’t get into any arguments over this  but I was never a fan for all we know he could have been on them drugs virtually is whole career.

Ok - forget the cocaine and controversy for a couple of minutes. Go on you tube and fire up maradonas top 50 amazing skill moves and tell me that he wasn't a player of immense ability.

He had the most incredible feet and balance I've seen in a player, matched with great natural skill and upper body strength. He's right alongside pele,best,cruyff etc in my book.
(27-11-2020, 01:37)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(27-11-2020, 00:58)wba13 Wrote: I would like to know how Maradona is revered as a genius, for me he never will be, he cheated he took drugs he was supposedly looked after by the mafia.  but I hate cheats Suarez is the same.  This is my opinion I won’t get into any arguments over this  but I was never a fan for all we know he could have been on them drugs virtually is whole career.

Ok - forget the cocaine and controversy for a couple of minutes. Go on you tube and fire up maradonas top 50 amazing skill moves and tell me that he wasn't a player of immense ability.

He had the most incredible feet and balance I've seen in a player, matched with great natural skill and upper body strength. He's right alongside pele,best,cruyff etc in my book.
Now your talking Pele brilliant, Best the best player I ever saw, Cruyff great player you can add Ronaldo and Messi wonderful players. But I’m sorry never liked cheats and drug addicts as good a player as he was he is tainted . As I said that’s my opinion.
I get the resentment at Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal but, if we're honest, he wasn't the first to blatantly cheat and he certainly won't be the last - some of us old Baggies may well remember Bomber Brown punching an equaliser into the Wolves net at Molineux ( at which we all expressed our delight) and Thierry Henry doing something similar for France against Ireland. I guess we all agree on the fact that he was an astonishingly brilliant footballer, his skill and strength were off the scale. For me he was unique...but then I saw Hal Robson-Kanu.
hibeejim21 likes this post
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
I don't get the 'drug addict' thing either.... What was George Best if not a drug addict ?

Anyway - I heard Lineker talking on the radio about him and waddle watching Diego warm up once when he was doing these 30 yard mad keepy uppys from a standing position, and they tried it later and waddle could only manage 2 and waddle was no slouch at ball skills.

Fair play to Lineker, he gave Diego his due. He's actually posted one of his warm ups on his twitter feed. Absolutely amazing - have a look!
i did post at the start of this thread  i didnt like her music
but having listened to the true blue album she wasnt that bad

loved also the like a prayer video

oh hang on  oh the football player maradona?

been on me own for almost 9 months  loosing it a little 
not that i have had much to lose

who started this thread?
idiot
back to star trek i will go
thats star wars ya numpty

ass dumb you are
@Kristien 1965
(27-11-2020, 18:05)hibeejim21 Wrote: I don't get the 'drug addict' thing either.... What was George Best if not a drug addict ?  

Anyway - I heard Lineker talking on the radio about him and waddle watching Diego warm up once when he was doing these 30 yard mad keepy uppys from a standing position, and they tried it later and waddle could only manage 2 and waddle was no slouch at ball skills.

Fair play to Lineker, he gave Diego his due. He's actually posted one of his warm ups on his twitter feed. Absolutely amazing - have a look!

George best was a alcoholic not drugs, and he never got banned from football Maradona. As I’ve said he was a great player but some of the things he has done were pretty awful. That picture of him going into the camera with the look of a man possessed was enough for me anyhow may he rest in peace and I will say no more on him.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »