Thread Rating:
Serbia v Scotland, Thurs 12 Nov - another Scotland tragedy or qualification at last?
At long last, thank you Scotland.
hibeejim21 likes this post
Well done Scotland!! Serbia were awful for most of the game and certainly didn't deserve the late equaliser!! Penalties are never fun though until you win!!!
hibeejim21 likes this post
I genuinely thought we were the better side for most of the game, but I felt Stevie got the subs wrong and it unsettled us.  Total kick in the teeth losing the goal at that point, to come back from that blow in extra time and win the PKs took some amount of bottle. The whole team deserve huge credit.

What a feeling to finally get that monkey off your back. 22 xxxx years   Laugh Laugh
Thumbs Up 
Well done to Scotland.

Being Welsh, I will certainly be supporting the boys in blue when they meet England next year. Thumb up
"FOREVER UNITED"
I don't want to belittle Scotland because they were by far the best side for about 80 minutes, but I kept wondering what on earth Serbia thought they were doing. Three of their four best players are currently known for scoring goals. Now I may be (AM!) stupid, but I reckon you frame your team round the abilities you've got. Only when they'd got Jovic, Mitrovic and Tadic up front together did they look like make Scotland struggle, and even then in Extra Time hedged their bets going forward, as if they'd be happy to settle for penalties. It came as no shock to me when Scotland conceded late. It came as an enormous shock to me how brilliantly the Scots took their penalties. They were superb. (And that's from someone who thinks deciding any game by penalties is a travesty!)

The Scots have done a magnificent job in covering for their current shortage of talent. Well as Scotland did going forward, off the top of my head I could come up with five completely different potential England front threes that would be way better, but Scotland qualifying for the Finals is still bad news for England. Scotland only have one player who could guarantee himself a place in the England squad, but unless we have the sense to pick players who would relish taking on the Scots, like Jack Grealish, they'll cause us loads of trouble. If England saunter out like a set of expensive show ponies against that Scotland side, they can forget the rosettes. Unless England prove to the Scots that they are at a whole different level the Scots will have the same attitude to defeat as Donald Trump, and in this case that will probably be enough.
I actually thought the enormity of the occasion got to the Serbian players more so than it did for Scotland and that is down to the prep work "behind the scenes" by Steve Clarke and his assistant coaches. One must also give a "special mention" to David Marshall - that game-changing save in ET was truly world class. And then to finally save that last Serbian pk was the "icing on the cake" for the big man. Obviously there were many other vg performers in a real gutsy workmanlike performance. McGinn was unfazed and immense, Dykes gave their CBs lotsa probs, McGregor was a human dynamo, Ryan Jack followed Clarke's orders precisely and Christie was true quality and contributed with a sublime goal to give Scotland the lead. I still can't figure how Robertson never finished off Dykes wonderful solo set up in the way that he occasionally does it for Liverpool but, as we all know, Scotland don't do "easy play-offs". Also note - still 100% success in pk deciders!! Thumb up
Serbia were poor because of Scotlands gameplan Devongone. The movement and press of our team had clearly been planned in advance by clarke and the players stuck to the task well.

I thought everyone played great bar Robertson, I think he's overrated and the chance he missed was absolutely criminal. The standout was Declan Gallagher who had a tremendous game just taking care of the battles while Tierney and Mctominay moved the ball on. That midfield trio of christie/jack/mcgregor actually worked a treat and the latter 2 had their best games in a Scotland shirt. I've never rated dykes but he has proved me wrong and led the line well. Mcburnie the sub on the other hand....I'm just stunned he is in the EPL lets put it that way.

I dont think there's any prospect of us winning at Wembley but with a similar gameplan and a bit of luck we could make a game of it.
ritchiebaby likes this post
One bit of optimism for June next year is the poss return of other players and new ones who may change the dynamics of this Scotland team. One thing that impressed me was the post match celebrations and euphoria that followed this historic Scotland victory. The camaraderie amongst the Scotland players was self-evident and I wanna see that "club spirit" well cemented before Scotland arrive at Wembley with hopefully a full squad of players to play England. Then I have no doubt we will give them a serious game of footie.
McBurnie would have been better employed as barman in the dressing room, because he was a waste of space on the pitch - and not for the first time either. He's only in the Prima Donna League because he fits the description.
Cabbage is still good for you
He took a cool pk in the crucial pen kick showdown Whistle Imagine the reaction if he'd missed it Doh The mental pressure on him to convert his pk would've been immense when one considers he hasn't scored for Scotland in open play yet.
ritchiebaby likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »