Thread Rating:
Aberdeen 3 Celtic 3
This exciting game was actually a good advert for Scottish footie but from a Celtic perspective what a "comedy of errors" that places a wee bit pressure on Neil Lennon's position - luckily for him the "do minimum" of attaining a draw was achieved and 3 x consecutive defeats avoided with no significant damage to the current league position with a "game in hand". However, when one scrutinises this Hoops' performance the error-strewn nature of it was damning. Firstly, that naive Ntcham challenge on Ferguson for Aberdeen's opening goal/pk conversion was worthy of his instant removal and sub from Lennon's perspective - dreadfully poor awareness and judgement in a nothing situation at the edge of the Dons' pen box! Then Duffy's total lack of nous in simply clearing a ball, losing possession so cheaply and ultimately losing the second goal was bemusing - Celtic's defence not looking too clever at all but Duffy definitely the ultimate offender. Then lastly, a totally avoidable last min equalising 3rd goal was ridiculous, Magregor the main offender in conceding another pk after previously fouling Dons' players in so many dangerous positions - needless fouls btw from a guy who scored a really good second goal for Celtic! Lennon again bringing on rested subs after another tough Euro fixture and they should've delivered a positive fightback and win - Sparky coming on and scoring a "cracker" of a goal and Broony's influence clearly missed up to the point when Celtic were losing 2-1. From Aberdeen's pt of view this was a good result but one stat is still glaring for them - THEY STILL CAN'T BEAT CELTIC, THEY RARELY WIN AND THAT REMAINS THE CASE. My prediction for their next match v the Hoops at Hampden Park is that Lennon will field a changed but better Celtic team in this semi-final, contrary to all the "doom n gloom" stuff that surrounds them at the mo, and they will win this Scottish Cup semi-final more impressively than a lotta folk perceive. I think the chinks in Aberdeen's defence without McKenna definitely leaves room for great optimism esp for a team that plays good, controlled one-touch and two-touch footie but with good strikers up front to finish these thrustful attacking moves. Note Ajeti is not that striker and proved it today - a non-entity who was shown up by Sparky's brief contribution in the last quarter of this match.
Was actually quite an exciting game - Celtic scored 2 very good goals (both created by Rogic) but all 3 they conceded were avoidable and self inflicted. Duffy looking like a complete donkey.... Really poor game management in the last 10 too.

I still think there is something not right behind the scenes at Celtic, Lennon doesn't seem to have the passion he used to which is weird in this season of all. He sits slumped in his seat most of the game and afterwards his interviews sound like he's going through the motions.
You must remember that Lenny has a manic depressive condition that will never totally disappear although I'm sure it is well controlled. I think that the negative events of the past four weeks with injuries and COVID related sidelining of key players would depress a normal manager, let alone someone like Neil Lennon. He must look positively towards his better players returning sooner rather than later as well as observing the likes of Rogic looking like he could be returning to something like his best form after being affected by some awful injuries for quite a long time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »