Thread Rating:
That's more like it.
A great game and performance on the road today against Tranmere.

The loss of Alfie May through illness could have proved crucial but young George Lloyd proved to be a more than capable deputy.
Gone was the kick and rush tactics of last weekend and back to the smooth interchangeable passing we saw last season. The Robins were running rings around newly relegated Tranmere and after just 6 minutes a corner from the right by Chris Hussey to the far post saw central defender Charlie Raglan rise high and unchallenged to score with a simple header.
Just a quarter of an hour later saw a well worked and deserved second goal. This time West Brom loanee Finn Azaz broke quickly and found Andy Williams outside him. Williams doubled the Robin's advantage with a shot partially parried by the Rover's goalkeeper.
Then just 6 minutes from half time the Robins added a third. A diagonal ball into the box saw two Rovers defenders get in each other's way and a glancing backward header from one of them saw the ball once again in the net.
Not surprisingly the second half was, in comparison, a relative non event. Tranmere rallied and had more of the play than in the first half but, never really threatened the Cheltenham goal. It was all about game management.
What of the two West Brom loanees?
Finn Azaz looked composed on the ball and will surely develop further in this team. He was replaced just after the hour but had by then done a useful job.
Josh Griffiths (goalkeeper) didn't have lot to do; making one important save in the first half but, I worry a little about his ball distribution. Some of his clearance kicking is very wayward, often going straight out of play. And kicking out of hand usually finds a member of the opposition. And yet his kicking from ground is much better and he seems capable of effortlessly putting the ball at least halfway inside the opponents half.
Still he is after all only a youngster and is still developing that necessary understanding with his fellow defenders.

COYR
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »