Thread Rating:
Celtic are finally confirmed as SP Champs again and "nine in a row"!
So, after all the bickering and embarrassing orchestrations by certain Scottish footie clubs, Celtic are finally "crowned" Scottish Premiership champions again with Hertz officially relegated - similar to the formal decision of other Euro footie leagues. I wonder how the Hoops will officially receive, celebrate and display the trophy???
It is an unsatisfactory way to be crowned champions and will always be considered a tainted title especially as it was still theoretically possible for someone to catch Celtic.
However the decision has been made and other interested parties will just have to suck it up and prepare for next season.
There was never a perfect way to resolve this issue as observed in other Euro footie leagues and, in Celtic's case, I believe the Hoops were actually at the point of "strolling away" with another Scot Prem title as well as attaining a record-breaking quadruple "treble", the main reasons being that they had no Euro footie commitment, they were on a positive and unassailable unbeaten run/pts gap and lotsa injured players, who were vg and would be competing for 1st team places, were returning to play again and Rangers were a "disaster" that was already self-evident up to 14 March.
(23-05-2020, 02:02)1Wattie Wrote: It is an unsatisfactory way to be crowned champions and will always be considered a tainted title especially as it was still theoretically possible for someone to catch Celtic.
However the decision has been made and other interested parties will just have to suck it up and prepare for next season.

I know what your saying wattie, but the stats show the title was only going to one destination. The rangers form had been abysmal since January and the fans were turning on Gerrard big time. They weren't reversing a 10 point lead (and that's assuming they would win the game in hand),Celtics form meant they were winning that league by more than 10 points.

Covid has actually done rangers and Gerrard more of a favour than Celtic. At least short term anyway. Notice how everythings went quiet from ibrox currently, no more raging statements of outrage.
0762 likes this post
Hibeejim,
You summed up the situation very well, if the season were played out the gap could have increased so the decision allowed teams a bit extra time to prepare for next season. Hopefully we can get through it without any diversions and just enjoy the football.
I think Hibs and Aberdeen will prove a stiffer opposition than this year but Celtic will be overwhelming favourites to take title 10.
hibeejim21 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »