Thread Rating:
The pandemic strikes Scot footie - economic carnage to follow?
Now that it looks like the Scottish footie season will be ended prematurely, there are lotsa questions to be asked re the economic reality for many of the clubs who will definitely be affected, some of whom will be massively in debt - just the way they operate. What to do? Does the SFA or the Scot govt "step in" to assist in some way? Also on a separate theme, is this an opportunity to restructure the footie leagues or even move more radically on this by reverting to a summer footie season? Possibly end the remaining matches leading in to the summer but carry on eh!!? OR follow the realistic line and concede that the footie league season is ended. Therefore default on a 9th Celtic league title, Rangers take up a UEFA slot as do Motherwell; Hertz relegated, Dundee United promoted, relegation-promotion play offs arranged and the same for the other leagues?
Think we will know more after UEFA's meeting midweek. We will fall into line with what's agreed there.

My preference is that we need to try and finish the games somehow, but after listening to the sportsound debate there with all the issues surrounding this i accept that this might not be possible.

If so then the rules are clear - The SPFL board can decide when the season ends and when the season ends the positions are the current rankings. No mention is made in the regs of games played, games outstanding, average points, etc. When the season ends is the last game. Voiding the season is a non-starter and actually causes more problems than it solves.
SPFL chiefs expect the Prime Minister to intervene this week as the coronavirus crisis grows.
BoJo is likely to order an immediate end to professional leagues across Britain, killing off the current uncertainty.
The SPFL — in line with their English counterparts — would then decide on ratifying final positions in all four divisions as they stand.
Crucially, doing this would enable the SPFL to distribute prize money early to help clubs survive the coming months.

Celtic could be handed their ninth successive title
It’s understood the nuclear option of voiding the season could have severe legal and financial ramifications.
Season-ticket money, sponsorship cash and multi-million pound TV deals for this term would all come under threat.
SPFL board member and Hamilton Accies vice-chairman Les Gray confirmed that position during a TV interview.
He said: “I don’t think the season can ever be made null and void.

“After 30 games, if you make the season null and void — season-ticket holders are entitled to their money back for a start.
“The broadcaster could say the season never happened and want their money back.

“From a financial perspective you can’t make the season void, what you can do is look at what alternatives there are.”

Celtic, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers are all now set to be declared title winners for the 2019/20 season.
Hearts, Partick Thistle, Stranraer and Brechin would drop down, though it’s unclear who would be promoted to League Two.
The regular play-offs for places in the Premiership, Championship and League One would likely be scrapped for the season.
To soften the financial blow for all relegated clubs, the SPFL could look at the distribution model and hand out extra cash due to the unique circumstances.

SC semi finals and final would be played at the start of next season.
Yep! The idea of voiding a season that has passed the halfway pt is definitely a "no goer". Such a suggestion was mooted in the English Premiership debate as well but it was agreed Liverpool should not be denied under such circumstances and having "whitewashed" the EPL season anyway.
(15-03-2020, 01:54)0762 Wrote: Yep! The idea of voiding a season that has passed the halfway pt is definitely a "no goer". Such a suggestion was mooted in the English Premiership debate as well but it was agreed Liverpool should not be denied under such circumstances and having "whitewashed" the EPL season anyway.

I agree that voiding the season is unfair and impractical in reality. Having said that can you imagine the outrage in Liverpool if that was to happen, I have to say there is part of me, and dare I say many other football fans, that would like to see that for the spectacle it would be!!!

Seriously though, I think its too early to make the call yet. If the Euro's are postponed and played next summer instead, then there may still be time to gt the games played. We will likely know if that is feasible in the next month or so.
(15-03-2020, 02:05)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(15-03-2020, 01:54)0762 Wrote: Yep! The idea of voiding a season that has passed the halfway pt is definitely a "no goer". Such a suggestion was mooted in the English Premiership debate as well but it was agreed Liverpool should not be denied under such circumstances and having "whitewashed" the EPL season anyway.

I agree that voiding the season is unfair and impractical in reality.  Having said that can you imagine the outrage in Liverpool if that was to happen, I have to say there is part of me, and dare I say many other football fans, that would like to see that for the spectacle it would be!!!

Seriously though, I think its too early to make the call yet.  If the Euro's are postponed and played next summer instead, then there may still be time to gt the games played.  We will likely know if that is feasible in the next month or so.

The difficulty predicting how this outbreak develops means coming up with a viable plan B is very difficult indeed. There are suggestions the infection might peak around may/June. Players will be going out of contract in June, clubs will have budgeted for prize money coming in at a certain time etc and could go bust if we leave it too long.

Voiding a season 80% in would be ludicrous. If the seasons over just draw a line under it now and move on.
Listening to jack ross and gerry Britton there I am now of the opinion the seasons over. They would think 4 weeks would be needed to get players back up to speed after the shutdown.

Unless we cancel the euros and forget the new season until we are ready to play these remaining games ( I believe Italy have just suggested something similar)

Hertz say they will sue if they are relegated without the games being played, and totally get where they are coming from, but this is an impossible situation. What can't be denied is that hearts have been the worse performing team in the league this season. Despite being told how wonderful and amazing anne budge is the facts are that she has completely fucked up her managerial situation single handedly. Her club is well behind other much smaller clubs and it would be nice to see her take her share of the blame for that instead of spouting pish like this only a day or 2 after the shutdown was announced.

Rant over!!
Yep! I concurred a while ago what Jack Ross was saying - the season is over. Re Hertz position, gotta sympathise a tad but Hertz are coming from a poss desperate position where they are due to have fan ownership imposed and a negative financial reality if they are relegated, coupled with the economic impact of this virus and consequent global recession.
Daily Record running with Celtic being announced champions and hertz relegated.
UEFA is preparing this Tuesday, at the meeting with its 55 affiliated associations, to standardize the criteria to define who are the champions of each of the leagues, as well as the teams that go up and down the division, in case the championships national policies are not resumed. The news is released this Monday by the Spanish newspaper AS, guaranteeing that the objective of that organization is to ensure "justice and equal merits" in accessing next year's Champions League and Europa League.

In this sense, UEFA argues that the leaders of each league should be declared champions when the competition is permanently suspended. A position that is based on what happened in 1999, when Partizan Belgrade was declared champion at the moment when the Balkan War started, when there were still ten rounds to end the Yugoslavia championship.

So that's it really - UEFA are going to announce the season over tomorrow and go with current placings. If budge wants to take anyone to court she could end up getting her club suspended. They are going to have to be compensated along with a number of other clubs to protect them from going under, but I cant see any other way out of this. Football is gubbed for the foreseeable future folks - best get ourselves some good books to read.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »