Thread Rating:
Johnson watch activated - the nightmare begins for the UK!!
To be quite honest, I'd say most Tories are unfit for the job, but we do have a Government of national unity. It's called the Tory Government.

No matter what happens to Boris, the Government, the Civil Service, the NHS, etc will carry on with the job in hand. It's the way we work in the UK using the Cabinet system. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish equivalents will be exactly the same.
Cabbage is still good for you
Germany, France and Austria have each sent 1 million masks to Italy, and France has also sent to Italy 200,000 protective suits for medics.

I'd really love Gove to explain how the NHS 'advised them' not to join the EU procurement scheme.
0762 likes this post
(07-04-2020, 01:15)hibeejim21 Wrote: Dominic Raab is clearly shitting himself, having him as acting PM is xxxx terrifying,  this is a man who didn't know Dover - Calais was a key trade route for the UK. He's even worse than Boris with this 'Britannia unchained' bollocks. He's clearly unfit for the job.

I'd say a government of national unity is the way forward here.

I recall Raab from his time as the Brexit Minister in Theresa May's govt - he was absolutely hopeless up to the point when I renamed him the "dodgy car salesman" due to the bullshit he was uttering re the "land of milk and honey" called Brexit!! Thumb down
(07-04-2020, 15:09)hibeejim21 Wrote: Germany, France and Austria have each sent 1 million masks to Italy, and France has also sent to Italy 200,000 protective suits for medics.

I'd really love Gove to explain how the NHS 'advised them' not to join the EU procurement scheme.

I'd really love to hear what the German, French and Austrian general populations feel about their governments sending precious resources to another country.

As far as the UK is concerned, not only are we telling lies about the availability of PPE and Tests, it would seem that we have been telling lies about the number of deaths as well. The numbers for positive tests conducted are completely worthless as we're still not doing enough tests for the numbers to be useful in evaluating the spread.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
That magical word "tests" arising time n time again and it is clearly useful in focusing on "hotspots" and reducing any spread in identified "areas of interest"! The Germans can conduct 500k tests pw and are well up in the "game" of effective testing! We are nowhere near that achievement.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Some NHS staff being disciplined for speaking out:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... vUgKW0jZF4

I can see this happening a lot. The BBC report from UCL on the 6 o clock news definitely had the camera work set up to make it look like they had lots of equipment and PPE. The reality is somewhat different on the ground elsewhere.

(07-04-2020, 10:49)ritchiebaby Wrote: To be quite honest, I'd say most Tories are unfit for the job, but we do have a Government of national unity. It's called the Tory Government.

No matter what happens to Boris, the Government, the Civil Service, the NHS, etc will carry on with the job in hand. It's the way we work in the UK using the Cabinet system. The Scottish, Welsh and Irish equivalents will be exactly the same.

I'd say Boris picked a cabinet based on the Brexit compliance more than anything. They are not equipped remotely to deal with an emergency like this.

All across the parties there are talented people who really could help with this, its time to put differences aside and form an emergency government. If things keep going as they are we will end up with that dick who runs weatherspoons in charge of the country.
I agree with you regarding the talent available from across the political spectrum who should have an input into Government decision-making. Only in my opinion perhaps, but the UK made the original mistake of adopting scientific modelling as the answer. This would have been fine as the way to "flatten the curve", but absolutely useless as far as limiting the spread was concerned. Which we couldn't do, as we were totally unprepared in having testing equipment available right from the start, despite having advance warning from other countries' experiences.

Another concern from me is the supply and distribution aspect. The individual Health Boards/Trusts are bound to have Procurement and Distribution Departments for all kinds of hospital equipment, so the supply chain is there. Of course, the sheer scale of the pandemic will make things more difficult, but could be overcome by organising extra shipments. That is obviously still not happening, so the problem must be that we still don't have sufficient supplies to distribute, despite all the fine words uttered at the daily press conferences.

On a lighter note, I read that the sale of sex toys has tripled in New Zealand! That supply chain will no doubt be able to cope.
Despite the desperate attempts by the media to commit the Governments to a date, there was unanimity in the response that the "lockdown" will continue as at present. The original 3-week review was to see if there would be a change in the advice, not a renewal of the rules for a further period.

I would go as far as saying that a relaxation would be considered only if there were 7 consecutive days where both cases and deaths reduced and wait a further 7 days after that to make sure the trend continued - no mention of a particular date.
Just under 1000 deaths confirmed in the UK overnight. Not good news at all and just confirms a relaxation was "never on".
German Military donate 60 ventilators to the NHS.

Bloody foreigners, coming over here and saving our lives. Who do they think they are ? Vote Brexit.
ritchiebaby and 0762 like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »