Thread Rating:
Labour Leadership Contest
It is a big challenge for him but he has a lotta time to get on with it and try to regroup and resurrect the Labour Party to an electable position again. I don't envy him one jot - an immense task with a so many different factions to bring together as one.
(05-04-2020, 11:15)hibeejim21 Wrote: I don't agree with her politically particularly, but some relatives of mine were very grateful for the help she gave them. She's a pretty good local MSP.

Interesting to see Starmer got the votes across the labour left, a lot of ex Corbyn supporters voted for him, as did the registered supporters. He now has the mandate to make the changes he wants to the party. That has already started with the NEC winners from the ballot, they are most definitely not 'corbynites'.

He is going to have to do a ' Harold Wilson' to a large degree and keep the left happy but he also has leeway to take the party more to the centre ground where he needs to.

He needs to keep certain policies from the last 2 manifestos. If he throws the baby out with the bath water then he may lose a lot of voters. As someone who voted for him, I am rather impressed so far. There needs to be less virtue signalling and holding the Government to account. If Labour and Starmer decide to campaign to rejoin the EU, if there is an EU that is then Labour will just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. They need to go back to basics and focus on things like Jobs, education, NHS, transport, public investment and infrastructure. They also need to be more patriotic and talk the country up more and focus on areas like the North East, Midlands, Scotland, Wales etc instead of focusing on London and the South.

The biggest problem I think Starmer will have is Momentum, as they will be a thorn in his leadership.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Yeah, the policies as such from Corbyn were mostly pretty popular (indeed the tories are using them now) so I think what your saying is right.

He's already said Brexit is done, and it will be for future generations to decide if we rejoin. So he's drawn a line under it. I'd say his priority will be to hold the government to account over brexit and Covid and gets a decent team together.

Time is on his side if he gets the basics right. I think his biggest problem might be his background.
His legal background could be a hindrance - can only wait n see how grassroots Labour folk view it! Ed Milliband already brought back in as Labour's shadow Business Secretary.
Nice to see 'red ed' back. I always rather liked him, his podcast 'reasons to be cheerful' are good listening and show an intelligent guy with a conscience and willing to laugh at himself.

Lets not forget the blatant/subtle anti-semitism he got thrown at him from the media.
Well this is going to be interesting. Momentum have split so now there is Momentum and now 'Forward Momentum'
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(08-04-2020, 20:43)spireitematt Wrote: Well this is going to be interesting. Momentum have split so now there is Momentum and now 'Forward Momentum'

spireitematt and St Charles Owl like this post
Starmer absolutely rinsed that joker Raab today at PMQs. Boris would be wise to stay 'resting' for a bit longer.
Keir Starmer with his legal background is much cleverer than Corbyn and knows how to pin people down with probing questions.
Cabbage is still good for you
The leaked report that Keir Starmer attempted to "bin" in the quest for unity within the Labour Party has spectacularly revealed what we had suspected all along. The relentless media antisemitism campaign against the shadow cabinet was sustained and orchestrated. Without a satisfactory conclusion, those with genuine grievances felt they were not being listened to. The comments revealed in the report, taken from texts, were couched in the most appalling language towards individuals in Corbyn's shadow cabinet. They hated Corbynistas so much that their preference was a right-wing Tory govt in power rather than Corbyn in Downing Street. Abandoning the poor and the most vulnerable in our society for the sake of internecine politics of the worst kind has rightly been exposed! One wonders how long Starmer can keep the Labour Party together??
Lord Snooty likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »