Thread Rating:
Johnson Premiership imminent - the next political "nightmare" begins tomorrow!
(01-08-2019, 21:00)0762 Wrote: I agree it is an absolute economic disgrace and embarrassment to this country while I'm listening to current debates covering school uniform charities, the homeless and food bank contributions. Then listening to that creepy Tory creton, Cummings, professing that the Tories don't care for the poor or the NHS!!!???? Which leads me to ask why does the population in England still have a significant element of support for these Tory c#### who are propped up by other undemocratic NI c#### called the DUP!!!???? Somebody please explain why this is because it is a f###### disgrace of the highest order that these morons have even reached this point in trying to "trash" this country!!!!!!?

I'm not convinced that the Tories carry such a significant element of support from the population of England anymore. Problem is we won't ever know that for sure unless there is a GE and at the moment I cannot see BJ calling one in the near future. As we stand he can ride out most things until May 2022 when he will have to call one but with the support of the DUP still there he still has a majority. The other side of the problem is the way the Labour/Lib Dems/SNP vote will get split in various parts of the country if there was a GE and this will once again potentially enable the Tories to get in power again. I would love to see the other parties come to an agreement and not put up candidates in some seats so that the clear 2nd place party can get the votes to oust the Tories. Some sort of agreement between Labour/Lib Dems in particular on these lines would likely see them win more seats at the expense of the Tories in England. Of course that would also lead to a hung parliament but at least there would probably be enough non-Tory MPs to form a working Government.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-49200636

The Tories lose the Breton-Radnorshire by election in a huge swing to the Lib Dems. The right wing vote was split by the Tories, Brexit party and UKIP, whereas Plaid Cymru and the Greens decided not to field candidates to maximize the remain vote for one candidate. As I said above, more of this needs to happen to remove the Tories. Their majority is now down to just one. Labour’s vote was decimated and that should be a clear warning to them that they have to imo get a new leader and come out strongly against Brexit.
(02-08-2019, 07:36)St Charles Owl Wrote: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-49200636

The Tories lose the Breton-Radnorshire by election in a huge swing to the Lib Dems.  The right wing vote was split by the Tories, Brexit party and UKIP, whereas Plaid Cymru and the Greens decided not to field candidates to maximize the remain vote for one candidate.  As I said above, more of this needs to happen to remove the Tories.  Their majority is now down to just one.  Labour’s vote was decimated and that should be a clear warning to them that they have to imo get a new leader and come out strongly against Brexit.

Yup - tactical voting is the only way to defeat Brexit and the tories. Thats just where we are with this ridiculous system.

As for labour, remember that this seat was last held by them in 1979, its mainly a tory/Lib Dem swing rural seat. They were never going to get close to winning there.

There were also issues about the local MP, indeed it looks like labour barely campaigned there and plaid also stayed away to facilitate a Lib Dem win.

(01-08-2019, 21:43)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 21:00)0762 Wrote: I agree it is an absolute economic disgrace and embarrassment to this country while I'm listening to current debates covering school uniform charities, the homeless and food bank contributions. Then listening to that creepy Tory creton, Cummings, professing that the Tories don't care for the poor or the NHS!!!???? Which leads me to ask why does the population in England still have a significant element of support for these Tory c#### who are propped up by other undemocratic NI c#### called the DUP!!!???? Somebody please explain why this is because it is a f###### disgrace of the highest order that these morons have even reached this point in trying to "trash" this country!!!!!!?

I'm not convinced that the Tories carry such a significant element of support from the population of England anymore.  Problem is we won't ever know that for sure unless there is a GE and at the moment I cannot see BJ calling one in the near future.  As we stand he can ride out most things until May 2022 when he will have to call one but with the support of the DUP still there he still has a majority.  The other side of the problem is the way the Labour/Lib Dems/SNP vote will get split in various parts of the country if there was a GE and this will once again potentially enable the Tories to get in power again.  I would love to see the other parties come to an agreement and not put up candidates in some seats so that the clear 2nd place party can get the votes to oust the Tories.  Some sort of agreement between Labour/Lib Dems in particular on these lines would likely see them win more seats at the expense of the Tories in England.  Of course that would also lead to a hung parliament but at least there would probably be enough non-Tory MPs to form a working Government.

I think the tories still carry a huge support in England, just their vote is split between 'no deal' and tory currently. If Boris teams up with Nigel they will absolutely stroll a GE.
Thankfully BoJo and his cronies' plan is to "wipe out" the Farage threat and take a substantial part of the Brexit Party vote back into Tory hands. They want nothing to do with Farage. As said in other threads, there is a significant "remain" vote that needs to be "harnessed" properly and remove the fragmentation of that vote to the advantage of a minority vote for a RW Tory govt - the unchanged 1st past the post electoral system has to be thwarted and perhaps yesterday's byelection tactical voting is the key to ensuring the "remain" vote can win a GE in England as it is the bigger vote now without doubt! I'd call it "united to remain". Also as previously stated - "Labour has to get its act together pronto"!
Corbyn is a decent man I feel, his intentions are good. Labour's policies are extremely popular in the country at large and would help millions of British people. He deserves a lot of credit for destroying mays majority and putting the blocks on the tories Brexit as a result (although I believe a lot of young pro EU voters held their nose and supported him for that reason alone)

However in times of crisis people don't vote for weak leaders, and although he is a good campaigner he isn't a leader and he can't unite his party. He should step aside and allow a younger more dynamic leader to take over and guide labour to a natural 'remain' position. They would get a huge boost and the country would find labours position much more convincing as a result. He has just been the wrong man in place at the wrong time with Brexit, which he has treated as a minor inconvenience instead of a major, major issue going forward for the UK.
0762 likes this post
Boris Johnson turned up in my hometown last night and visited my old school to check on the residents of Whaley Bridge who have been evacuated there. He also went to Whaley Bridge to visit the Dam and he said its "Dodgy but stable". He's also promised to rehouse the residents if the Dam bursts.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
The tories said the same to the victims of grenfell. They aren't to be trusted, least of all Blojo in full on election mode.
0762 and ritchiebaby like this post
(04-08-2019, 12:10)hibeejim21 Wrote: The tories said the same to the victims of grenfell. They aren't to be trusted, least of all Blojo in full on election mode.

Corbyn turned up today. I reckon there will be a snap general election very soon.

(05-08-2019, 18:29)spireitematt Wrote:
(04-08-2019, 12:10)hibeejim21 Wrote: The tories said the same to the victims of grenfell. They aren't to be trusted, least of all Blojo in full on election mode.

Corbyn turned up today. I reckon there will be a snap general election very soon.

I'm not so sure matt, I can't see what's in it for Boris this side of oct 31.
(06-08-2019, 00:03)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 18:29)spireitematt Wrote:

I'm not so sure matt, I can't see what's in it for Boris this side of oct 31.

As it stands he has a majority of 1 that's with the pact with the DUP. A No Deal is a unfavorable option in Parliament and there are lots of Tories who won't support a No deal, so what he could do is call a snap general election to get a majority to pass a Brexit deal or a No deal the only downside is it would be a high risk strategy which could backfire and end up with a hung Parliament which is what happened to Theresa May in 2017.

Another referendum or a general election are his two only options to break this deadlock. There is a 3rd option which is to have a citizens assembly where they pick 2-3 people from each constituency in the UK and they all look at the pro's, con's and the information before the referendum and the information since the referendum and then vote. That option is very very unlikely as it would take several months possibly years.

The problem with another referendum is the Government would set the question and would decide what options would be on the ballot paper. Also what would happen if the answer was Leave again because I very much doubt if the result was Leave again that the strong remainers wouldn't except the result and I believe if the result was Remain that the Brexiteers would refuse to except the result and want a 3rd referendum. Whatever happens the country will be divided and will be for many years to come.

Cameron should have never called the referendum because UKIP weren't a threat to the Tories. UKIP only won 2 by-elections off the Tories because Mark Reckless and Douglas Cardswell defected to UKIP and they both won there seat back. I very much doubt that UKIP would have won a general election or even got enough seats to create a hung parliament.

I think it's clear to see though that referendums don't work.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »