Thread Rating:
Johnson Premiership imminent - the next political "nightmare" begins tomorrow!
(26-07-2019, 20:26)spireitematt Wrote: He's announced there will be no General Election, so that probably means there will be a General Election.

I can't see a no deal scenario happening, it will end up with another referendum or the EU will give us more time or he will come out on the 30th October and stand there giving a speech how they tried but its too difficult and impossible to leave.

There is only 2 ways to stop no deal - revoke article 50 or may's withdrawal agreement. Neither is gonna happen.

Johnson doesn't require a parliamentary mandate for 'no deal'. Why would he risk a referendum, or a general election before 31st ? He can just do absolutely nothing, and, as long as he manages to survive any no confidence vote, simply waste all the time until the deadline has gone.

Then he can say he has delivered Brexit, hoover up the Farage votes, and no doubt smash labour in a quick election before the effects of Brexit really kick in.

Its banana republic stuff.
(28-07-2019, 14:15)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(26-07-2019, 20:26)spireitematt Wrote: He's announced there will be no General Election, so that probably means there will be a General Election.

I can't see a no deal scenario happening, it will end up with another referendum or the EU will give us more time or he will come out on the 30th October and stand there giving a speech how they tried but its too difficult and impossible to leave.

There is only 2 ways to stop no deal - revoke article 50 or may's withdrawal agreement.  Neither is gonna happen.

Johnson doesn't require a parliamentary mandate for 'no deal'. Why would he risk a referendum, or a general election before 31st ? He can just do absolutely nothing, and, as long as he manages to survive any no confidence vote, simply waste all the time until the deadline has gone.

Then he can say he has delivered Brexit, hoover up the Farage votes, and no doubt smash labour in a quick election before the effects of Brexit really kick in.

Its banana republic stuff.

May's withdrawal agreement won't happen because they've tried 3 times to get it through, it won't get through a 4th.

A referendum no but he would risk a General Election because Labour and the rest of the parties are all over the place and at the moment he's saying all the right things in speeches and to the public on Brexit which means if there was an election soon and there probably will be then he will get the Brexiteers votes meaning it could wipe out the Brexit Party and Farage. The Labour Party at the moment are trying to be all things to everyone whereas the Lib Dems are Pro-Remain and Anti-Brexit so the Lib Dems will split the Labour vote.

Parliament won't allow it through the only way he could get no deal to happen is to call a General Election and hope to get a majority in Parliament.

The referendum was over 3 years ago and people's opinions and viewpoints will have changed in 3 years also you will have people of voting age now who weren't able to vote 3 years ago and that could change the balance if there was another referendum. If we leave with No Deal and fall out the EU then at the next election it will be very likely whoever puts in the manifesto to take Britain back into the EU will win and that will probably be the Lib Dems or a Pro-EU leader leading Labour.

Jo Swinson said the other day that she wants a 2nd referendum on the EU but if Leave won again then she would ignore it and be still against it, the same person who doesn't think Scotland should have another indy referendum. When the coalition was in power she voted for austerity more times than some Tory MPs and she believes we should have a statue to Thatcher. She's more Tory than Tory.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
"If we leave with No Deal and fall out the EU then at the next election it will be very likely whoever puts in the manifesto to take Britain back into the EU will win "

Thing is matt, farage wants "no deal" as do a large part of the English Tory electorate (the largest group in the last EU elections) . Boris is going to have to deliver on that front before he can go to the country or farage will do his number on the tories and we will likely end up with another hung parliament.

Most of the authors of that wretched book"Britannia unchained" are now in the cabinet. That's why I think BOJO will deliver "no deal" and blame the EU, labour, anyone.... then go for an election.

BTW Trade deals of the size we want with the EU take years to negotiate. That’s the point of a xxxx transition period, to keep everything going smoothly until we can negotiate new arrangements. Binning that would be absolutely insane.

Labours triangulation has led them completely up a dead end - they have nowhere else to go. I don't think I would trust corbyn on the issue, they will get smashed to bits in an election unless they get a new leader.
IMO the "key" to this debate is the Labour Party's ambiguous position in this whole fiasco! It is imperative that Corbyn is quickly removed and replaced with a convincing "remain" leader to take the remain initiative away from the opportunistic Libdems; I agree with Matt re Swinson and her false credentials and do not trust this woman or her party one jot. I'm sure there must be millions of voters in England who share the same sentiments but they are also "in limbo" with no solid affiliation to any political party. Hence the "remain" vote is fragmented beyond belief. As for Corbyn, I can never forgive this man for his part in a total lack of proper representation of the "remain" position/population in 2016 because he was always an anti EU man!!! That was a disgrace while RW c#### like Cummings, Johnson, Gove, Fox and Farage were peddling their poisonous deceptions/lies on a targeted proportion of the voting population as well as "pulling in" a significant "stoopid vote" (as Trump famously described it!) - they couldn't believe their luck when they won that EU referendum on that split vote!! Corbyn has to go in a Labour Party coup and the transformation must be convincing as well as "ditching" the Brexit supporters who deserted the party anyway and chose a Brexit one!! They must finally choose a side as well as backing a possible 2nd EU referendum. Will they be brave enough to do this as it has become clear that their current Brexit supporting leader is destabilising their political position in this whole debate? I have absolutely no idea but I now feel that there is so much "ammunition" available to destroy Johnson and his motley crew of disreputable RW cohorts but the Labour Party needs to transform, prepare and reorganise its resources to fight a "dirty war" against this group of shameless Tory c#### who will do likewise! Lets start on that lying, contemptuous little weasel, Cummings and his "NHS lies on a Brexit campaign bus" before even starting on Johnson who was complicit in lying to the British electorate. Labour needs that requisite "spin doctor" and he must be good, indeed very good to excellent!

(26-07-2019, 10:51)hibeejim21 Wrote: I wonder how the leavers must be feeling ?

"Taking back control" "sticking it to the elite" Boris and his chums ARE the elite, and they wouldn't pish on them if they were on fire.

The long predicted right wing coup has happened, we will crash out with no deal and these scumbags will fill their boots at all our expenses before we go crawling back to the EU for trade deals that will be at our disadvantage.

Next up expect a few bribes before a general election, the devil will be in the detail and they will be full of Boris's usual bluster and bullshit.

I noticed one of Johnson's big sound bites was his reference to the "New golden age" for the UK after Brexit!!??? Do you remember David Cameron and his "big society" bullshit??? And of course Trump and his "make America great again" - replace the "shady" car salesman with a shameless politician who will say anything to gain power, albeit utter bullshit!!
I won't ever be voting LIB-DEM, actually I blame them more than corbyn for this farce, they signed off on all the austerity measures that drove areas of England into disgraceful levels of poverty and allowed racism and xenophobia to take root. Thats how it always works, xenophobia and Racism only work when they can be used to "explain" a deep sense of anger and fear brought on by something else. They are a symptom, not a cause. Same with the years of anti EU propaganda churned out by the tax dodging 4th estate.

Corbyn made a huge misjudgement by not shifting his position sooner, but his intentions were understandable as a lot of labour voters voted for Brexit.
0762 likes this post
How are all the HS2 and 3 trains supposed to speed up travel when Nottingham and Derby will get a station near Long Eaton and Sheffield's will be at an out-of town shopping centre? By the time you've reached your destination travelling into and across cities by car/bus/something you'll have lost all the time you've apparently gained.

Given limitless money Manchester would become the London of the North. Luckily that level of investment won't happen.
0762 likes this post
(30-07-2019, 13:50)Devongone Wrote: How are all the HS2 and 3 trains supposed to speed up travel when Nottingham and Derby will get a station near Long Eaton and Sheffield's will be at an out-of town shopping centre? By the time you've reached your destination travelling into and across cities by car/bus/something you'll have lost all the time you've apparently gained.

Given limitless money Manchester would become the London of the North. Luckily that level of investment won't happen.

So much for the true concept of "integrated transport" eh! It is a myth in the UK and I think many British transport people, particularly those in govt, should be sent to Euro countries like The Netherlands to be re-educated on the proper definition of integrated transport and how to make it effective. But I forgot we need lotsa money to do it seriously and we don't have that level of investment to seriously tackle this issue nationally!! And that is the UK position without leaving the EU!! What a joke!!
Watching Johnson's initial visits in Northern Ireland and previously in Scotland and IMO the man's political sense of any respect for the country he is visiting absolutely "sucks"! He arrived in Belfast and then attended a banquet with the DUP!!???? There are other political parties and other decent people in NI who predominate NI politics and yet he comes out with this crass political gesture of siding with a bunch of sectarian cretons called the DUP!! Note his initial visit to Scotland centred on the WDM/Trident nuclear base at Faslane while knowing that the Scottish govt is vehemently opposed to this WDM being based on Scottish soil and about 78% of the Scottish people share the same anti Trident sentiment. And this clown professes that he will unite the nation??? It is symbolic bullshit and disrespectful but he is consistent with this kinda unionist shit!! I also notice that the US Senate have "fired out" an intial warning to Johnson and his govt that there will be no trade deal if he f#### about with the Irish backstop and starts "messing about" with the "island of Ireland" as certain UK politicians have started calling it!!! Great!!!! I wondered when Irish influence would finally take hold "across the pond" and when Irish reunification would begin to be mentioned and debated - no surprise esp when observing this crass partial stance of Johnson and the RW cretons who are "pulling his strings"!
2 billion spunked on stockpiling medicine and food. Unbelievable. 6.3 billion wasted on Brexit so far.

That money should be spent on hospitals, schools and our neglected communities. A no deal Brexit will take close to 100 billion out the UK economy. The pound has taken a hammering just as people head off on holiday.

Voodoo economics from the tories and their ERG extremists. I think the ship has sailed and some sort of hard Brexit is now beyond our power or ability to stop and in the pursuit of nothing more than furthering his own power Boris will make it happen.
I agree it is an absolute economic disgrace and embarrassment to this country while I'm listening to current debates covering school uniform charities, the homeless and food bank contributions. Then listening to that creepy Tory creton, Cummings, professing that the Tories don't care for the poor or the NHS!!!???? Which leads me to ask why does the population in England still have a significant element of support for these Tory c#### who are propped up by other undemocratic NI c#### called the DUP!!!???? Somebody please explain why this is because it is a f###### disgrace of the highest order that these morons have even reached this point in trying to "trash" this country!!!!!!?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »