Thread Rating:
Le Tour de France 2019
After missing last year's TdF, being on holiday in Italy, I'm in danger of missing most of this year's thanks to my granddaughters and bowling! This is the first day I've managed to follow and there are a few familiar faces popping up at the top of the various rankings.

Julian Alaphillippe wears the Yellow Jersey after Stage 3 and I expect him to be on the podium in Paris, although not on the top of it. My tips to be there also would be Richie Porte (if he manages to make the third week!) and Thibault Pinot. Geraint Thomas should be there or thereabouts too, as well as Michael Matthews and Greg van Avermaet.

I'm sure the Green Jersey will be fiercely contested, with Peter Sagan the favourite, and Michael Matthews the closest to him. Elia Viviani, on his day, could take points away from both of them.

The Polka Dot Jersey will also be fiercely fought and my picks would be van Avermaet and Alaphillippe in a close finish, although both might be seduced by the bigger picture of an overall win.

For me the Youth Rider is a shoe-in for Egan Bernal, who will benefit from the dependable support of Team Ineos (formerly Team Sky).

The Team of the Tour will probably be Team Ineos, with Team Jumbo-Visma a real threat. EF Education First will also put up a solid showing.

Those picks could quite easily be total rubbish, given the topsy-turvy nature of the TdF. Feel free to add your own thoughts along the way. I'll not be back on until the weekend, assuming all other commitments allow me to.

The race is featured on ITV4 with live coverage in the afternoon and highlights at 7pm. https://www.letour.fr/en/the-race/useful-information is the place to go for detailed classifications, stage information, riders, etc.
Lord Snooty and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Nice one Ritchie. Not seen any of this yet, but I'll comment on it whenever I can get to see some. Thumb up
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Alaphillipe a star, took me a couple of days now in Tour mode have to say some of the countryside in NE France is truly stunning
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

(08-07-2019, 21:38)Lord Snooty Wrote: Nice one Ritchie. Not seen any of this yet, but I'll comment on it whenever I can get to see some. Thumb up

You'll have to watch Wimbledon first Snooty! Rolleyes Stage 10 heading towards the south of France is on the day after the Finals.

themaclad - any contribution would be most welcome.
themaclad likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Long old stage with a sprint finish Sagan losing his touch, Viviani, Kristoff and Ewan in a photo finish in Nancy

Just catching up with stage 5 sadly had to work, probably the first difficult stage before they hit the mountains tomorrow when the real race will start

Another sprint finish but this time the man Peter Sagan does it. Alaphilipe still in yellow

The remnants of a breakaway triumphed today with Teuns taking the stage and Ciccone second gaining six bonus seconds which gives him the yellow jersey, Alaphilipe second in overall standings but ominously for the rest of a tough up hill finish Thomas looked good
Lord Snooty likes this post

There was a late 1980's tune by Glasgow band Del Amitri entitled nothing ever happens, possibly could describe today's marathon and slow stage were the two man breakaway led for the at least 200 kilometres before being wound in by the sprinters, the Beeb report is below, honourable mention to Danish rider Kaspar Asgren who did most of the donkey work yesterday and today.

Dylan Groenewegen claimed his first stage win of this year's Tour de France as Giulio Ciccone retained the leader's yellow jersey after stage seven.

Defending champion Geraint Thomas finished in the peloton to remain fifth overall.

At 230km, stage seven is the longest of this year's Tour and the relatively flat route set up a bunch sprint to the finish line in Chalon-sur-Saone.

Caleb Ewan crossed the line in second ahead of Peter Sagan.

Stage six results
1. Dylan Groenewegen (Ned/Team Jumbo - Visma) 6hrs 2mins 44secs

2. Caleb Ewan (Aus/Lotto - Soudal) Same time

3. Peter Sagan (Svk/BORA - hansgrohe) Same time

4. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita/Bahrain - Merida) Same time

5. Jasper Philipsen (Bel/UAE Team Emirates) Same time

6. Elia Viviani (Ita/Deceuninck - Quick-Step) Same time

7. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita/Team Dimension Data) Same time

8. Jasper Stuyven (Bel/Trek - Segafredo) Same time

9. Michael Matthews (Aus/Team Sunweb) Same time

10. Alexander Kristoff (Nor/UAE Team Emirates) Same time

General classification after stage seven
1. Giulio Ciccone (Ita/Trek-Segafredo) 29hrs 17mins 39secs

2. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Deceuninck-Quick Step) +6secs

3. Dylan Teuns (Bel/Bahrain-Merida) +32secs

4. George Bennett (NZ/Jumbo-Visma) +47secs

5. Geraint Thomas (GB/Ineos) +49secs

6. Egan Bernal (Col/Ineos) +53secs

7. Thibaut Pinot (Fra/Groupama-FDJ) +58secs

8. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned/Jumbo-Visma) +1min 04secs

9. Michael Woods (Can/EF Education First) +1min 13secs

10. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Education First) +1min 15secs
Lord Snooty and ritchiebaby like this post

I remember that song. Wonder if Angry from Manchester has calmed down at all. Whistle
themaclad likes this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »