Thread Rating:
Egypt part company with Hector Cuper following World Cup elimination
Egypt have parted company with head coach Hector Cuper following the nation's underwhelming World Cup campaign.

The Pharaohs, appearing at their first World Cup finals for 28 years, finished bottom of Group A without a single point to their name.

A last-gasp 1-0 defeat by Uruguay was followed up by a 3-1 loss to hosts Russia and ended with Monday's 2-1 defeat by Saudi Arabia.

Cuper, 62, would have been out of contract after the tournament, but had been in negotiation with the Egypt Football Association before the tournament started.

However, the EFA confirmed in a statement on Tuesday: "We held a meeting after returning from Russia and the entire board decided to say thank you to Cuper and his technical staff.

"We appreciate the work from the coach, from reaching the Africa Cup of Nations after three years of absence and taking Egypt to the World Cup after 28 years of absence."

Egypt's World Cup build-up was dominated by an injury to star player Mohamed Salah.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/eg...29273.html
Didn't waste much time in getting rid!!! I suppose Argentina might get rid of their coach before they fly home after they lose to France in the next round!!
I’m not surprised. With the players they have at their disposal, they should have been finishing above Saudi Arabia and pushing Russia for second.

Poor tactics and poor use of the squad has cost Cuper.
Aye SCO! I similarly don't 'rate their chances' v France as their quali campaign was full of probs and they had extended that poor form into their group matches in Russia. IMO Nigeria very unlucky not to have pipped them for the second spot in the group. Re the demise of Hector Cuper, the injury to Mo Salah really was a bitter blow to take and the lad prob should not have been playing there at all - a big factor in them having any chance of progressing to the last 16.
Egypt didn't deserve to lose against Uruguay, but were dire against Saudi Arabia (who sacked their manager after two games in their previous World Cup).

I'm betting France are sh ittitin g themselves at the prospect of Argentina. Imagine Argentina pick Higuain up front with Dybala, Messi and Aguero as three in behind him, swapping roles. That's top scorers in Italian, Spanish and English football, behind a man who nets 20 a season every season though he mostly looks nervy and ordinary to me. Back that threesome with Banega and Mascherano who can both tackle and create and I reckon the opposition would be too worried about stopping them to threaten their dire-ish defenders.

On paper France have the best squad in the competition, but they've been poor to watch. If their manager lets them off the hook to play they'd win the whole thing, but the only thing making them favourites against Argentina is that Argentina's manager seems even worse than Didier - and more unpopular too ( despite being a disciple of the World's best boss, now at Leeds United - I can hear Snoots and Amelia choking on that one from here!)
Sick
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Didier Deschamps would impress me greatly if he drops 'the Pog' and opens up on a more expansive game plan v Messi and co through picking a more dynamic midfield formation that will definitely 'hurt' Argentina who really are not playing that well. He definitely has the players to punish them but, as you say, he does not impress as an outgoing, forward-thinking manager.
The Egyptian FA President is now blaming Ramadan for the World Cup failure and that the players were given the option to not fast, but they all refused. Huh

Religion eh! Whistle
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »