Thread Rating:
Newspapers/Media
I buy a paper once a month now, usually the guardian.

I used to get a paper at least twice a week.
I used to read a lot of newspapers including the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Times, Mirror, Guardian, Independent etc and then I would come to my own conclusion on stories and articles but don't really read many newspapers anymore unless it's the Non-League Paper or if it's the Sunday papers.

Just thought I would clarify that I didn't buy the Mail, Express or the Telegraph and never have, I would read them in the library when I was at school/college.

Print media is dying out due to everything being online and most people are getting there news from social media, the only problem is we now live in a post-truth age where people think everything they read is fact and it isn't the case and they end up getting duped and conned or they become conspiracy theorists.
ritchiebaby likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(20-05-2020, 20:46)spireitematt Wrote: I used to read a lot of newspapers including the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Times, Mirror, Guardian, Independent etc and then I would come to my own conclusion on stories and articles but don't really read many newspapers anymore unless it's the Non-League Paper or if it's the Sunday papers.

Just thought I would clarify that I didn't buy the Mail, Express or the Telegraph and never have, I would read them in the library when I was at school/college.

Print media is dying out due to everything being online and most people are getting there news from social media, the only problem is we now live in a post-truth age where people think everything they read is fact and it isn't the case and they end up getting duped and conned or they become conspiracy theorists.

Hasn't that always been the case though?? It used to be the print media that spun lies or ignored certain facts, now its online instead of on paper. The real difference today is that most of the crap you see online doesn't have any organisation or individual associated with it and therefore nothing can be checked with the source as there isn't one to go back to!! Distinguishing fact from fiction on a meme is impossible without using other sources.
(20-05-2020, 21:16)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(20-05-2020, 20:46)spireitematt Wrote: I used to read a lot of newspapers including the Mail, Express, Telegraph, Times, Mirror, Guardian, Independent etc and then I would come to my own conclusion on stories and articles but don't really read many newspapers anymore unless it's the Non-League Paper or if it's the Sunday papers.

Hasn't that always been the case though??  It used to be the print media that spun lies or ignored certain facts, now its online instead of on paper.  The real difference today is that most of the crap you see online doesn't have any organisation or individual associated with it and therefore nothing can be checked with the source as there isn't one to go back to!!  Distinguishing fact from fiction on a meme is impossible without using other sources.

Yes it has but nowadays you have ordinary people making up factoids on social media and it spreads like wildfire.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(20-05-2020, 21:25)spireitematt Wrote:
(20-05-2020, 21:16)St Charles Owl Wrote:

Hasn't that always been the case though??  It used to be the print media that spun lies or ignored certain facts, now its online instead of on paper.  The real difference today is that most of the crap you see online doesn't have any organisation or individual associated with it and therefore nothing can be checked with the source as there isn't one to go back to!!  Distinguishing fact from fiction on a meme is impossible without using other sources.

Yes it has but nowadays you have ordinary people making up factoids on social media and it spreads like wildfire.

Yes, that was my point, in the past you would read something in a newspaper that was either pure spin or simply false and the paper would get called out for it. Even if they didn't their name was associated with it. Now there is no one associated with a post on social media.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »