Thread Rating:
LC semi-final Celtic v Hibernian Hampden 21/10/2017 12:15
Well, another early kick off for a semi final.

I expect celtic to be stronger than last time we met in terms of personnel but hopefully that game midweek will have proved mentally draining.

Our team pretty much picks itself for this one I think, the main decision I think for lennon is whether we pitch simon murray up front with stokesy or use boyle playing off him.
Re Murray or Boyle, I think it's down to who drops off into Hibs mifdfeld and does a better job. For Celtic, Broony and Armstrong picked up some 'game time' v Bayern after injuries and IMO that does not augur well for us in this semi-final. We must be resilient and hang on to a close match in the 90 mins - please don't be overwhelmed by a big score Hibs, KEEP IT TIGHT AT THE BACK AND IN THE DEFENSIVE MID AREA BUT 'SHOW UP' AND 'HAVE A GO'! A big Hibs support attending this match although it's not quite a sell out at our end of Hampden Park. However, another cup semi-final in five seasons is good going for Hibs.
Lenny's line up tomorrow? IMO it has to be defensively resolute but the team also has to 'pose a threat' - it's a cup semi-final after all and we must try to win it!
I expect a similar line up to this one:

Laidlaw
Gray Ambrose/McGregor Hanlon Stevo
Bartley
McGinn McGeouch Whittaker/Swanny
Murray/Boyle Stokesy

C'mon Hibs - lets win through to another cup final against all the odds!

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
Just back FI hampden and feeling gutted thought we gave as good as we got nothing between the two teams. A couple of really bad mistakes and celtic punished us.

Thought the second half was brilliant we took the game by the scruff of the neck I think Neil Lennon might feel a bit sorry for himself tonight that's twice we've played celtic and been unlucky not to get anything out the game again the problem is they scored on the back of our mistakes.

For me a defo penalty and what a start fot young oli shaw supreme finish from the young striker but what I can't get over is wat a poor poor turnout from hibs supporters. Last year we took close on 20,000 to the Aberdeen game this year we've sold 13,000 season tickets and only sell 11,000 approx for hampden what the Fkcu is going on ?

GGTTH
What's going on Jim? Lotsa Hibs fans couldn't see a Hibs win unfolding v a Celtic side that is now unbeaten in 59 consecutive domestic fixtures. Also the expected mistakes unfolded again as many Hibs fans have seen too often at Hampden. Now we know again why the 'roly poly goalie' was given a standing ovation by a huge Hibs support at Hampden v Dundee Utd in the Scot Cup semi-final of 2015 - because we've been starved of this level of temperament and top performance in this type of crucial fixture for years!! Also they lost their previous league fixture at ER v the Dons with some questionable decision making by some Hibs players in front of one of Hibs biggest home attendances. IMO that result convinced many that Hibs were not good enough to even 'nick' this semi-final and that cynical view was confirmed this afternoon. Btw that was a dubious pen decision that 'let us back in' the game after watching the video re-run of the incident later on - Boyata toe-ended the baw and no pen IMO. We move on to a possible treble of defeats if such poor decision-making persists even v a very poor to average Hearts team!
1st half we were poor,gifted them 2 very soft goals. Laidlaw deffo should have saved the 2nd possibly the first. It was like the sheep game again,some promising play but every time breaking down in the last quarter. I love stokesy but he had too much to do first half on his own.

2nd half lennon made good changes and we suddenly got at them more and got ourselves back in the game. But i never felt confident we were going to win the tie. Celtic's midfield were very good at making space and quick going forward. Brown made mcginn look non-existent at times. Dembele is clearly a class act.

Great goal from young shaw though,the boy looks a natural finisher and should be getting more game time. Barker should be starting too,he has blistering pace. Mcgeough immense in the deeper role.

I thought it was a pk at the time,but i can see on the replay that boyata got the ball cleanly. Their 4th definitely had shades of offside about it so they can't complain too much. As for the crowd it was disappointing, i'm not buying the excuses,we sold our allocation out for parkhead and none of us expected anything from that game. I thought the turnout was a bit poor.

The next 2 games become massive for us now. We need to get some 3 point wins back on the board.
It looks like we are on the brink of a crisis, a situation that I kinda previously hinted may unfold although one 'ray of hope' is the fact by all accounts Hearts were 'mince' again in their win v Saint Johnstone this afternoon. However, I see us as being extremely vulnerable esp without a 'talismanic derby striker' called Jason Cummings who was never fazed by this fixture and easily 'banged in' crucial vengeful goals against them for fun!! I'm curious to see how a Hibs team, that is currently not winning many matches, now fares against such poor opposition but with different strikers who still 'have a lot to prove' this season.
I must also comment re Barker's position - he is indeed a pacy player but IMO he does not pass or cross a decent 'final ball' - failed to deliver in so many good positions when Hibs 'loaded up' their pen box! Also he didn't find another alternative way to take Lustig in great attacking positions - a deception and needs to find an 'end product' if he wants to be a 'first pick' in Lenny's line up. Lustig scored two goals - where was Barker in both scenarios???
Admittedly I've only seen the goals, but a very disappointing result for Hibs. Laidlaw got to both the opening Celtic goals but couldn't keep the ball out - bad goals to lose. Two Celtic goals came from their miskicks in the Hibs box, so we were a bit unlucky in that respect. We're just not quite there against the top teams.

Surely a must-win game on Tuesday night against an average team. GGTTH
Cabbage is still good for you
(21-10-2017, 23:02)0762 Wrote: It looks like we are on the brink of a crisis, a situation that I kinda previously hinted may unfold although one 'ray of hope' is the fact by all accounts Hearts were 'mince' again in their win v Saint Johnstone this afternoon. However, I see us as being extremely vulnerable esp without a 'talismanic derby striker' called Jason Cummings who was never fazed by this fixture and easily 'banged in' crucial vengeful goals against them for fun!! I'm curious to see how a Hibs team, that is currently not winning many matches, now fares against such poor opposition but with different strikers who still 'have a lot to prove' this season.
I must also comment re Barker's position - he is indeed a pacy player but IMO he does not pass or cross a decent 'final ball' - failed to deliver in so many good positions when Hibs 'loaded up' their pen box! Also he didn't find another alternative way to take Lustig in great attacking positions - a deception and needs to find an 'end product' if he wants to be a 'first pick' in Lenny's line up. Lustig scored two goals - where was Barker in both scenarios???

Barker's still learning his trade,i'm not going to judge him to harshly defensively as laidlaw virtually threw one in our goal. I think he has a lot of potential and could be useful in the games coming up.

I don't think we are quite at the brink of a crisis either,i've got faith in our players and the quality of play we are showing.
I hope you are right Jim. My initial sceptical comment is really based on the loss of the last two fixtures and the consequent damage to confidence! Perhaps our strikers will start 'burying' the good scoring opps that are being created but not enough being converted into goals. We still have an unbeaten derby record in 7 (?) consecutive derby matches. I still fear it may be under threat esp when losing a regular derby striker like Cummings!
A couple of wins would put us right back in the mix. I happen to think we are better than our current placing suggests.

Potters teams are hard to beat,and we are conceding a lot of cheap goals so i do get the concern. Fingers crossed.
ritchiebaby likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »