Thread Rating:
AFC Wimbledon Beat Franchise Football
AFC Wimbledon beat MK Dons 3-2 last night in the 2nd round of the JPT at Stadium:MK
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
lol - were you there? I presume with a fixture like that there might be a little friction
(08-10-2014, 15:20)Stairs Wrote: lol - were you there?  I presume with a fixture like that there might be a little friction

No I wasn't, I'm a Spireite but I have a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon and what happened and I dislike MK Dons like a lot of football fans do.

(08-10-2014, 15:27)spireitematt Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 15:20)Stairs Wrote: lol - were you there?  I presume with a fixture like that there might be a little friction

No I wasn't, I'm a Spireite but I have a soft spot for AFC Wimbledon and what happened and I dislike MK Dons like a lot of football fans do.
Sorry, I did understood you were not a fan as such. Just thought you might have been local and popped along.

I know that there is a lot of bad feeling about what happened and the move to Milton Keynes. Always makes these moments when they get to play against each other a little more special.

I hate it when a club moves ground even if a few miles away as it takes the heart out of a club. Local moves such as Arsenal end up ok but to move half way across England is pushing fan loyalty too far. Coventry is much the same. Same applies to the idea of ground sharing!
(08-10-2014, 16:53)Stairs Wrote:
(08-10-2014, 15:27)spireitematt Wrote:

Sorry, I did understood you were not a fan as such. Just thought you might have been local and popped along.  

I know that there is a lot of bad feeling about what happened and the move to Milton Keynes. Always makes these moments when they get to play against each other a little more special.

I hate it when a club moves ground even if a few miles away as it takes the heart out of a club. Local moves such as Arsenal end up ok but to move half way across England is pushing fan loyalty too far.  Coventry is much the same. Same applies to the idea of ground sharing!

Nope I live in Derbyshire, I just feel sorry for AFC Wimbledon who had to start right at the bottom and work there way up the football pyramid into the football league which MK Dons should have done in the first place instead of moving a club halfway across the country. AFC Wimbledon and MK Dons are like rivals because of what happened. Clubs benefit from new grounds look at us we've got higher attendances, state of the art facilities, attracting quality players, can do a lot more on match days, can host events, conferences, weddings and parties, which was impossible! at Saltergate. I do think football clubs should take into account public transport when they move grounds because train/bus stations at most grounds are like 2-3 miles away.

Wimbledon fans are pathetic. Holding a grudge this long is unhealthy. You wouldn't get any Huddersfield Town fans holding a grudge against some poxy club from Leeds that tried to do the same to us in 1919, almost a century later. Big Grin
(08-10-2014, 20:57)Lord Snooty Wrote: Wimbledon fans are pathetic. Holding a grudge this long is unhealthy. You wouldn't get any Huddersfield Town fans holding a grudge against some poxy club from Leeds that tried to do the same to us in 1919, almost a century later. Big Grin

Its not just Huddersfield fans who hate Leeds most football fans hate Leeds.

Strange innit, when Wimbledon were lumping the ball into the air, Vinnie Jones was chopping down anything with legs and, John Fashanu had more elbows than the human body legislates for .......... nobody loved Wimbledon much. They were the hackers of London's football scene, crude underdogs who revelled in the their role.

Now the Dons play cultured football in a city that craves achievement beyond business. Wimbledon are a fans' club brilliantly making their way back through football's lower reaches. Both have prospered.

On Saturday Chesterfield get to play Bristol City under Stevie Cotterill. If by some chance we take the lead and start passing round and through them as we did to The Blades, how long will it be before Mr Cotterill reverts to Route One? If it succeeds, which it probably will, because Mr Cotterill knows his stuff, will we be praising the legacy of Wimbledon and the forgettable delights of Plough Lane?

Wimbledon made a virtue out of stopping the opposition, out of bridging the skills gap with physicality and commitment. They were bad boys who made it in the top class by fair means or foul - model Thatcherites.

The Dons lost a game insignificant to them that mean everything to Wimbledon, but MKD with a small playing staff and a reasonable crowd are succeeding. And they have the great virtue of not being yet another London club.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »