Thread Rating:
2016 World Wheelchair Curling Championships
These "B" Championships take place in Lohja, Finland from 4 November to 10 November and feature England and Scotland. They appear in Section A and form part of the 16-team competition.  The top team in each Section will progress directly to the semi-finals on 10 November. The second and third teams in each Section will play-off on 9 November for the other two places. The winner and runner-up in the Championships will automatically qualify for the World Championships held on 4 to 11 March 2017 in PyeongChang, South Korea.

In wheelchair curling the basic rules are the same, except that there is no sweeping, meaning that even greater accuracy by the player is required. In their opening games on Friday, England play Israel and Scotland play Slovenia. The Scots team is made up of Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games bronze medallist Aileen Neilson (skip), Gregor Ewan (third), Hugh Nibloe (second), Robert McPherson (lead) and Angie Malone (alternate). At some stage over the next week I might find out who are representing England and even get photos!

In the opening session on Friday, England will play Israel and Scotland will play Slovenia.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Now this is something I would like to see!!! I assume they use a modified wheelchair that is close to the ground so that push the stone. Get a few pictures, or even a video posted please!!
[Image: 168ho9g.jpg]

It's a normal wheelchair, SCO, but going back to my schooldays, I remember hearing "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Because of the forward push delivering the stone, the player needs a brakeman/woman to keep him/her steady (it's a mixed competition). Hopefully the above photograph of Finland delivering a stone will give you a good idea of the technique.
St Charles Owl likes this post
Excellent!!! That looks difficult, both in terms of the positioning and the use of a pole to push the stone!! How accurate are these guys compared to the able bodied curlers?
They're not so accurate, but that's basically down to the lack of sweepers. I do know that I wouldn't like to use the push-stick - it's not a pole!  Rolleyes - as it takes a bit of getting used to. Many older curlers use the push-stick as it allows them to continue curling after being unable to deliver from a crouching position. Probably not too long before I have to do it!!  Sad
My apologies for disparaging one of our EU partner countries!!!!
ritchiebaby likes this post
I enjoyed watching the wheelchair curling at the Winter Paralympics. Don't suppose the BBC are showing this.
England storm to the top of Section A by absolutely hammering Israel 18-0 after only 6 ends. England's team is made up of Rosemary Lenton, Stephen McGarry, Gary Logan and Edward Bidgood.

Scotland also won, beating Slovenia 10 -7 after being 10-1 up after 5 ends.

England's next game is against Scotland tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully they will have calmed down a bit to give Scotland a chance!
England roll on with another victory. They beat Scotland 6-2 in a game of single shots. It was 2-2 after 4 ends, but England won the last 4 ends to win the first of three derby matches - Rugby League today and football next weekend.

Tomorrow sees both teams playing 2 games. Leaders England take on Sweden and Turkey while Scotland play Slovakia (equal with England on 2 wins) and Italy.
St Charles Owl likes this post
England suffered their first defeat this morning against Sweden by 3-8, but immediately bounced back to trounce Turkey 14-1. Scotland hammered Slovakia 13-1 and then beat Italy 7-2.

These results put England and Scotland equal top on 3 wins and 1 defeat alongside Slovakia and Sweden.

Tomorrow's games are top of the table clashes - England v Slovakia and Scotland v Sweden.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »