Thread Rating:
2016 World Mixed Curling Championships
I had hoped that I would be able to bring you good news about the Scottish team tonight and you know what? ......................... I am!!!

First of all in the last 16 game this morning, Scotland were in total control against USA, winning 4-1 after 8 ends in which there were only 3 scoring ends. As USA trailed 1-3 after the second end, they deliberately blanked the third end, but lost a single shot in the fourth end. USA then blanked the next three ends as they were looking for at least 2 shots to put pressure on the Scots. In the last end, Scotland made sure they ran the Americans out of stones.

In the quarter-finals, Scotland then faced Canada and ran out winners by 6-5 in a nip and tuck game, by scoring 2 shots in the last end. With his last stone, Scotland skip Cameron Bryce, played a perfect takeout of the Canada shot stone to score 2 to move onto tomorrow’s semi-final against Sweden.

Afterwards, Bryce said about the game: “I’m really pleased. It was a good game all round, good from both teams. It was a patient game with a lot of stones in play and a lot of angles but I think we made the shots when it mattered...... Hopefully we can continue like that for the next couple of games.”

Tomorrow's Semi-finals at 9am

Sweden v Scotland
Russia v Korea

The Medal Games are at 2pm.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
There's good news and bad news today for Scotland.

First the bad news - in the Semi-final, the Scots got off to a bad start against Sweden, losing the first 3 ends. They only managed to score in 2 ends to lose by 2 shots to 8 in a game where they always had too much to do.

Next came the good news - although Scotland lost the first 2 ends to Korea, they then scored in 5 of the next 6 ends to win by 8-4 to win the Bronze Medal. It was far from that easy, because they were only 1 up at the last end but managed to score 3 shots.

In the main event, Russia won Gold by beating Sweden 5-4 after an extra end.

If I can get any photos from the WCF website, I'll put them up on here.
Great result for Scotland.
ritchiebaby likes this post
The medal winners and quite a few blazers/anoraks

[Image: 259a14o.jpg]
Teams (l to r) Silver - Sweden: Gold - Russia: Bronze - Scotland:

In the grand scheme of things Wales finished 18th, England were 19th and Ireland 23rd out of 37 countries. Scotland, Wales and England greatly improved on last year's final positions and Ireland remained the same.
Lord Snooty likes this post
I've found some photos of the Scottish team actually curling. You'll notice that it's the man who does the sweeping and the women who stand and watch!  Whistle

[Image: 2e16a7l.jpg]
Sophie Jackson really concentrating

[Image: 2vt7ji8.jpg]
Bobby Lammie wondering when the women are going to start sweeping

[Image: 2zebepc.jpg]
Katie Murray and Bobby Lammie alongside the stone which has been played by Sophie Jackson

[Image: 200tfec.jpg]
Sophie Jackson and Bobby Lammie alongside the stone which has been played by Cameron Bryce

If I can find some photos of the other home nations, I'll post them as well.
As promised here are some more photos from the WCF website. Lazy Sunday afternoon and all that!

[Image: 2i12fpv.jpg]
England - Angharad Ward

[Image: eurqtx.jpg]
England - Angharad Ward, Nigel Patrick, Greg Dunn and Lorna Rettig

[Image: 2v8kgpj.jpg]
Ireland - Jacqueline Barr

[Image: 2a8p8uc.jpg]
Ireland - Ross Barr, Bill Gray and Jacqueline Barr

[Image: 2heh53s.jpg]
Wales - Emily Sandwith

[Image: 210xahu.jpg]
Wales - Laura Beever, Andrew Tanner, David Peek and Emily Sandwith

With apologies to Ireland's Margarita Sweeney-Baird who seems to have been ignored in the 261 official photos I could find, but she does appear, holding Padraig Bear, in the Irish team photo below.
[Image: fef29i.jpg]
St Charles Owl and Lord Snooty like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »