Thread Rating:
Women's World Cup 2015
I have nothing but pride for what the England team achieved and the team ethics are definitely there for all to see.  But lets not paint them as fun loving angels!!!!!  The penalty that we won against Japan was initially a foul but then the England girl dived better than Ashley Young ever does, and what about Hope Solo's antics when Germany won their penalty, she admitted afterwards she was deliberately time wasting to put the German player off.  Sports people of any gender will do whatever they can to reach the top by bending the rules as much as they can get away with, its no different to any other sport.

I too enjoyed the World Cup and will definitely watch the next one as well, but I don't think the quality is there to really entice any of us to start following the women's game like we do the men's game.  The US won it by being the best team but the women's professional league over here is struggling financially and even this WC win is unlikely to put bums on seats at the stadiums across the country.  I am sure the game in England doesn't fare much better.  Hopefully the platformmmmm tis WC has provided will mean the sport sees a boost, but I still think it will likely be short lived.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Here is the immediate jump in attendances following the WC.  Great to see, the hard part will be to keep these new fans coming to games, but it is something to build on.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33501771
And for all the new fans, the Women's Football Show is back tonight. 11:20 on BBC2.
I'm going to try and catch a game at Man City. Pretty cheap for £6. Manchester United got rid of there Women's team when the Glazers bought United because they didn't think Women's football would generate enough money so took the money from the Women's team and put it into the Youth squad.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »