Thread Rating:
Your First Game
It was Saturday 24th September 2005 against Hartlepool United. I was 12.

I live in a town in Derbyshire which borders on to Cheshire not far from Stockport or Macclesfield and a lot of people who live here support Manchester United or Manchester City, you might get the odd Stockport, Macclesfield, Derby, Sheffield United, Wednesday, Forest fan etc but not many.

When I was younger I liked Manchester United probably like a lot of youngsters at school and didn't know any different from Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Back then Manchester United and Arsenal were the big two teams in the Premier League gunning for the title.

I remember I mithered my Dad to take me to Manchester United but it cost too much money and I mithered my Dad to take me to Stockport County and they weren't doing very well in League 2 I think they were near the bottom and I think Sammy McIIroy or Chris Turner was manager of them back then, not too sure.

In the end he decided to take me to watch Chesterfield. I didn't know much about Chesterfield or what division they were in so I checked Teletext and scrolled through the league tables and they were sat about mid-table in League 1. We checked the fixtures to see when the next home game was and it was against Hartlepool United.

Saturday 24th September 2005 came around and I remember wearing my Blue Umbro polo shirt to the match. We bought a programme outside Saltergate for £2.50 and when I saw Saltergate for the first time to me it was like Wembley and the best thing in the World. I remember being given £10 and going through the Compton Street turnstile and walking up a steep slope and getting to the top and seeing the playing surface for the first time and couldn't believe how close to the action we would be. We walked down these steps and chose our seats. I remember just looking round at the different stands, the Kop which was standing and very vocal, the main stand which all had wooden seating and the Cross Street End which was uncovered and where the away fans were situated. Before the players came out I read the programme and looked at all the names and numbers on the back. I looked at the managers name and I had never heard of Roy McFarland but later on I found out he was a very famous defender for England and Derby County.

I remember smells of Coffee, Tea and sausage rolls and the smell of wet grass when its been cut and rains heavy.

Chesterfield wore Blue Shirts, White Shorts and Blue socks and Hartlepool United wore all Black. Chesterfield attacked the Kop in the first half and I remember the number 9 (Wayne Allison) smashed a thundering shot against the crossbar in the opening minutes of the first half. Before half-time Hartlepool took the lead through Michael Proctor I think it was from a corner or a freekick.

In the second half Chesterfield attacked the Cross Street End and scored early on through Colin Larkin and not soon after Derek Niven scored again to put us in the lead. The third goal I remember vividly, this small but skillful player got the ball and took on several players before putting the ball in the back of the net, his name was Paul Hall.

I loved and enjoyed every minute of it and afterwards I lost interest in the Premier League as it had open my eyes to other leagues and teams and I have been supporting Chesterfield ever since that day and always will.
St Charles Owl likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Sadly I have no recollection of my first game at Hillsborough!! I know it was in the 1975-76 (so I was 11 at the time) season when we were in the Second Division as it was called then, but aside from that I remember nothing at all!!
March 1969 PNE v Birmingham 0-0 we had a Irvine goal wrongly disallowed, keeper dropped the ball was 14 at the time
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

At Leeds Road it was a play-off v Posh. Around 1992? We lost but I was hooked.
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
1967 QPR at Leeds Road. Town won 1-0 with a Frank Worthington goal.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Used too like the council houses next to the car park at Leeds Road always laughed when I saw that they all had a garden shed.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »