Thread Rating:
New Canaries
Championship-bound Norwich City have signed midfielder Isaac Hayden from Newcastle United on loan for the 2022-23 season.

The Canaries will then have an obligation to make the deal permanent depending on "performance-related criteria" during the next campaign.

Hayden said he had signed to "help the team get back to the Premier League" following their relegation this term.

The 27-year-old has played 161 times for Newcastle since joining in 2016.

He played 14 times in the Premier League last season, scoring in the 1-1 draw at Brighton in November.

Hayden was also part of the Magpies squad that won the Championship title in 2016-17.

"I am absolutely delighted. This is a fantastic club. Everything is well run, it has got a good infrastructure and the stadium and the fan base is great," Hayden, who becomes head coach Dean Smith's first recruit of the summer, said.

"The head coach was a big factor for me. He called me straight away and saw that I was out of the picture at Newcastle. I had spoken to him a few times before and he always struck me as somebody who was trying to do the right things and doing things very well at football clubs."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Norwich City have signed Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Sara from Sao Paulo for an undisclosed fee.

The 23-year-old has signed a deal until 2026, with the Canaries able to extend his contract by a further year.

Sara scored 17 goals in 113 appearances for Sao Paulo and played in the Copa Libertadores, the premier club competition in South America.

"This is a big moment in my career and I can't wait to see what I can do on the pitch for this club," he said.

"I feel I am a very intense player, who will fight for the team. When the opportunity arises, I go for goal."

The transfer is subject to Sara, who has not played for his country at any level, being granted a work permit.

Norwich boss Dean Smith said Sara will join training before the start of the Championship season, with the player in the "latter stages" of recovering from an injury.

"He has an abundance of skills. He can create and score goals, but also cover a tremendous amount of distance on a football pitch. He wants to get on the ball and look forward, he makes really unselfish runs and is full of energy," Smith added.

Norwich have signed Chile international Marcelino Nunez from Universidad Catolica for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who has won 10 caps, has agreed a contract at Carrow Road to run until 2026.

Nunez is the club's third signing since last season's relegation, following Isaac Hayden and Gabriel Sara.

"He's a player that we believe can connect us from back to front. He can see a pass and open things up," boss Dean Smith told the club website.

"His all-round game is one that we feel is going to suit us and what we've needed."

Norwich are still waiting for a work permit but he could come into contention for Saturday's home match with Wigan Athletic.

"I like to get into the box, I like to go for goal. I like to play in set-plays and be involved in and outside of the box," said Nunez.

"Now I'm here at Norwich, I have my objectives and I want to achieve everything that I can with the club."

The Canaries were beaten 1-0 at Cardiff City in their opening game of the new Championship campaign.

Norwich City have signed Arsenal's teenage winger Marquinhos on loan for the rest of the season.

The 19-year-old Brazilian joined Arsenal in June 2022 on a "long-term deal" from Sao Paulo.

He has played six times for the table-topping Gunners, but only once in the Premier League as a late substitute in the early season win at Brentford.

Marquinhos scored and claimed an assist on his Europa League debut against Swiss side FC Zurich in September.

Onel Hernandez has signed a new two-year contract with Norwich City.

The 30-year-old Cuba international winger will now be tied to the Championship club until 2025, with the option of a further year.

Hernandez has made 147 appearances, almost half of them off the bench, since arriving at Carrow Road from Eintracht Braunschweig in 2018.

He was loaned out to Middlesbrough and Birmingham City last season, while the Canaries were in the Premier League.

However he has become a regular in the Championship this season, having twice previously featured in Norwich promotion-winning teams, in 2018-19 and again in 2020-21.

Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber said: "Onel has worked hard since he walked through the door and is very much deserving of this new contract. He is a great character, as well as an experienced and talented player.

"As we set about shaping the squad for next season, where we anticipate a number of changes, it was decided by all that Onel has a big part to play."

Hernandez said: "The last five years have been the greatest I've had in football.

"The city, the people, the fans, the club, the teammates I've had."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »