Thread Rating:
Scotland v Croatia, Mon 21 June - Make or break time!!!!
Well we are now at the point where many Scot footie fans will be saying, "I've seen this movie before"!!! Sad
Scotland's great draw v England on their own "patch" will mean nothing unless we make it count v Croatia on Tuesday night. This is most definitely Scotland's cup final as well as it being Croatia's cup final - both teams need a victory while Scotland need to finally "bust a bogey", one that has rendered Scotland never qualifying from any World Cup or Euro group no matter how good a footie team they have fielded in the past 50 years. And Scotland have had some vg teams from World Cup Germany '74 onwards where no good fortune has ever favoured even the great teams. So how do we "bust the bogey"????? Can we do it?? I've watched Croatia twice in their group matches and perceive them to be an ageing team that has lost many of their great players. But they still have quality in certain areas of the pitch. Hence my initial view is to "man mark" Perisic and Modric - try to nullify their contribution. I wanna see a physical cup final confrontation v Croatia. We don't want a draw and, in fact, a hi-press attacking strategy is in order for IMO one of the biggest Scotland footie internationals in 30 years - we need to focus on scoring as many goals as poss from a team that clearly doesn't generally score more than two goals v anybody - the footie stats don't lie!! I think Clarke must try to prime every Scotland player who is capable of scoring a goal to "have a pop" at every opportunity - that is the clarion call!! C'MON SCOTLAND, WE DON'T WANNA SEE THE SAME MOVIE AGAIN!! A NEW ERA OF OPTIMISM AND POSITIVITY IS THERE TO BE GRASPED!!!
If you can command the midfield like you did against us then it might come down to Lady Luck to see if one of your chances can be turned into a goal. If you don’t get hold of their midfield two then they will score, that is going to be a key battle to watch.
Aye! That is most definitely the key. Croatia played four in midfield in the latter part of the match v the Czech Rep. So Clarke must be tactically aware of this ploy if it is used and when he has "two up top" - don't wanna be outnumbered in that area! I feel that if Clarke can instill the same motivation and intensity, as played v England, we win the game. However, my view is we need to score more than one goal and also need to win by more than one goal. My biggest concern is that we tie for a third place slot and then lose on the "toss of a coin" (or similar) or on more goals scored. Hence the call to "pile into them" for 90 mins and try to score as many goals as poss. I noticed that in both group games Croatia was well outrun in distance covered by opposition players - a good indicator of an older team not willing to "put in the miles" any more. Note it's great to "put in that kinda shift". But that needs to be complimented with a real focus and discipline that is aligned to the art of scoring goals - as many as possible please!!
ritchiebaby likes this post
The way it's shaping up we are prob going to have to win by 2 clear goals. I expect England and the Czechs to play out a mutually beneficial draw.

I think we will keep faith with the team that started at Wembley, but I actually think this is a game where Forrest could really prove his worth. He can be such a tricky player on his day.
0762 and ritchiebaby like this post
If the Scots turn up on the Monday they will win............................as the game is not till the Tuesday lol. Tongue

The Croats are struggling so I fully expect the Scots to win. I also feel England will win as they are smarting a little following the result last Friday and have some points to prove.

My prediction.......Scotland to qualify for the last 16. Smile Thumb up
"FOREVER UNITED"
A huge blow for Scotland as Billy Gilmour has tested positive for Covid. And what about the rest of the Scottish team, as they are surely considered close contacts?

Also, would the England team be considered close contacts, as Gilmour was all over them on Friday night?
Cabbage is still good for you
You couldnae make this up eh!! Sad Esp in Scotland's case on the lead up to the most important match in decades when we need to win by as many goals as poss!! All players fit and ready to go and then this happens!!! We've lost our best play maker!! Looks like Christie will prob be Gilmour's replacement but he is not a holding midfield player. Armstrong may well be the alternative. Re the risk to England players, there was also a a lotta close contact by Gilmour after the match at Wembley particularly with other Chelsea team mates.
It's a real blow. I thought Gilmour and Mcgregor worked really well together in that central midfield.
Armstrong will be the replacement I think.

The worry is also that it's unlikely no one else has caught it either.
Massive blow for you guys, hoping this doesn't have a knock on to the England Squad
SFA currently adopting the sevco covid tactics. Delete all the pictures and deny everything.

A bigger bunch of liars you will never meet.
0762 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »