Thread Rating:
Neil Lennon finally gone but should've been done months ago!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55153378

It wouldn't surprise me if Celtic don't lose another match until season end TBH!! Who will be the next manager? Steve Clarke's name apparently being mooted but my initial perception to that kinda appointment is the fact that he is not associated with the Celtic brand of dynamic footie that Hoops' fans crave rather than opting for the cautious and safe defence methodology that no doubt will win matches but poss at the expense of the "entertainment factor". Anyway there is a lotta other potential candidates out there incl Rafa Benitez who was previously linked to the Celtic manager's job but dismissed any interest.
Someone like Benitez would be on a mega wage and would want to spend mega so cannot see that coming off. Steve Clarke after the Euros would be a good shout.
"FOREVER UNITED"
If he had gone at the turn of the year it would be likely a much closer scenario in the league. Unsure over whether it's just laziness or shambolic management from their boardroom or whether they just didn't genuinely want to sack someone who had obviously brought a lot success in his career there. Obviously now it's getting close to renewal time so they had to make a change, no club can take a hit on that front at the moment.

Be interesting to see if they get a reaction from the players in the remaining games.
John Kennedy is now the favourite to "grab this job/opportunity" after Clarke confirming he wants to guide Scotland through their Euro finals campaign in June. An ex-Celtic centre half, I'd say he could poss be another Jock Stein "in the making" although one big difference is Stein did his apprenticeship in impressive style all these years ago with Dunfermline Ath FC and Hibs before being taken back to Parkhead and making history by winning the European Cup, the first time by any Brit footie team. Kennedy previously missed out on that chance to manage Hibs and see how he could get on "under his own steam".
(25-02-2021, 16:55)0762 Wrote: John Kennedy is now the favourite to "grab this job/opportunity" after Clarke confirming he wants to guide Scotland through their Euro finals campaign in June. An ex-Celtic centre half, I'd say he could poss be another Jock Stein "in the making" although one big difference is Stein did his apprenticeship in impressive style all these years ago with Dunfermline Ath FC and Hibs before being taken back to Parkhead and making history by winning the European Cup, the first time by any Brit footie team. Kennedy previously missed out on that chance to manage Hibs and see how he could get on "under his own steam".

Steins achievements at celtic are rightly what he's remembered for but people forget what an amazing job he was doing at hibs for that year he was in charge. 37 competitive games played, 25 had been won with six drawn, 88 goals scored against just the 37 conceded. Who knows what might have been achieved if he'd stayed on a bit longer ? Brilliant manager.

Kennedy should be a short term fix at best for celtic, unless they bring in an experienced director of football. But still v risky, Kennedy was coach over a period where celtic players couldn't defend a set piece or take a throw in properly.
IMO Hibs would've won the Scottish Cup and a possible Euro trophy if Stein had remained in charge at HFC until well after 1967 when Celtic won the European Cup. He was such a great manager. But it wasn't to be! Re Kennedy, I think he has a chance to deploy different players in his defensive formation. Unfortunately he can't acquire eg a new goalkeeper as I believe that weak position was one of the biggest "on the field" factors in Celtic's failure this season. That's where Celtic's Head of Footie Ops, Nick Hammond, has a "big question mark hanging over his head" re remaining in his current role at the club - failed with various player acquisitions and particularly in not covering that goalie position with a really strong personality, a top goalkeeper like the previous incumbent, Fraser Foster.
I think Lennon's departure only covers over the cracks at Parkhead and leaves Lawwell with a huge question mark over his handling or the attack on reaching the magis 10 in a row.
He should have ensured that Lennon had players of a sufficient quality to get the job done but he let the fans down. Celtic have raked in countless millions over the years when they were the dominant force in Scottish football but still kept shopping in the bargain basement. Buying a few players in the 10m plus bracket would surely have seen them out of sight for several more seasons.
Lawwell fiddled when Parkhead burned and is now paying the cost of that.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/news/cel...d=msedgdhp

This is an interesting reference to Mick McCarthy, a very experienced footie manager who I forgot about but who I reckon would do very well in managing Celtic in a Scot footie league set up. However, whether that actually happens is anyone's guess although he is on a short contract with Cardiff City.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/bi...d=msedgdhp

Looks like all remaining doubts dispelled and Eddie Howe coming in as the new Celtic manager! Meanwhile outgoing CE, Peter Lawwell, has his home firebombed - unbelievable and totally unacceptable esp if it is all about 11 guys lucky enough to play a game of footie professionally on a footie pitch (there are far more important things in life!!), A SHOCKER!!
ritchiebaby likes this post
Press saying he will be announced by the end of the month. Looks like he might be due some loyalty payment from bournemouth if they go up so I expect things to accelerate once their fate in the playoffs is known.

Whoever did that to Lawwell's home should be facing the full brunt on the law. Absolutely unacceptable.
ritchiebaby likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »