Thread Rating:
Betfred Cup semi-final v Saint Johnstone, Sat 23 Jan, KO 5.30pm
Typical Hibs so far at HT. Dominant for long periods, denied by the goalkeeper and the woodwork .............then give them a free header and its 1.0 to S.J.

They now can sit deeper to give us less space to play and if they have watched us this season know we struggle to break sides down in that situation.

Need to find someone else to take dead ball kicks as Boyle is useless at them. Doh

Who mentioned bogey teams.  Wink

'mon Hibs, do something ffs.
"FOREVER UNITED"
Yep! Saint Johnstone have not played so far and Hibs badly let down again by certain players in front of goal. Murphy definitely the chief sinner!! I'm counting five really decent scoring chances for Hibs AND THEY HAVE NOT CONVERTED ONE OF THEM!Thumb down I also can't figure why Ross has allowed a "bunched" Hibs front line effectively playing in front of three centre backs. Play wide of these CBs as it's a huge Hampden pitch FFS!!! Rolleyes I must say, as asserted in my OP, this game is unfolding exactly as I feared and I expect Ross's usual incapacity to respond will be exposed again - CAN'T WIN BIG MATCHES AND HIBS ARE NOW "CHASING A MATCH" THEY WERE WELL IN CONTROL OF. I pray I'm wrong but this manager is confirming time n again what many Sunderland fans warned us often enough following his appointment as Hibs manager. Team plays well but ultimately doesn't deliver!
2.0......another bullet header from a set piece. As yet, no response from Ross!

So Hibs, this is what they do  Doh

Fat lady starts to sing as the third goal goes in..........whats Ross going to do now? Doh Replace plan A with plan A perhaps. lol
"FOREVER UNITED"
Final comment after this latest embarrassment - JACK ROSS'S "TIME IS UP" - A SUNDERLAND MOMENT!!! Ross the "nearly man"!!! Thumb down I hope Ron Gordon has finally come to that conclusion - the warning signs were there for months!! Asking for money from loyal fans preceding this semi-final and then ask for ST payments later!!!? NOT AFTER THAT EMBARRASSING CONTRIBUTION V A TEAM THAT IS, AT BEST, AVERAGE - BUT WE HAVE A MANAGER WHO HAS NO ANSWERS IN "BIG MATCHES" ESP COMPLICATED ONES!!!Thumb down
HerefordBull likes this post
We shouldn't be too surprised at Hibs failing when it comes to the sharp end of a competition.
Those of us who have followed the team for years have seen this happen on numerous occasions but it can't be the managers fault every time. The players have to take a good look at themselves because they let the club and the fans down
If we do not improve quickly our current form might see our top 4 finish disappearing before our eyes.
hibeejim21 and ritchiebaby like this post
An absolute car-crash defensively, who the xxxx does set piece training for us ? The chances we missed first half were criminal, Murphy is xxxx rotten and I'd have him out the door ASAP.

Tactically no idea what ross was playing at, it was way too narrow for a start but our midfield didn't seem to have the work ethic of Saint Johnstone who closed us down and pressured us when we had the ball non stop. When we did have it we were way too aimless. That hibs team did not fancy it at all 2nd half which is a joke in itself.

Honestly cant believe this hibs side is as far up the league as it is, a lot of the games have been hard going and they have absolutely no grit about them at all especially in the middle of the park. We are nowhere near as good as some folk make out.

Another cup semi down the swanney. Total joke.

Ross on the BBC there. Just in absolute denial, refusing to even consider some of this is down to him.
HerefordBull and ritchiebaby like this post
Much too lightweight in just about every position, no passion, no steel and sadly lacking in confidence. We're just plodding along and, as jim points out, we've flattered to deceive this season.
HerefordBull likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
The warning signs were there as previously stated. Wattie reckons that the blame doesn't fall at managers' doors all the time. NOT IN THIS CASE I'M AFRAID!! Ross's choice of team line up and strategy has been highly questionable for months. Btw this wasn't just a defeat, IT WAS A F###### HUMILIATION that was bereft of a proper manager who would quickly realise that his starting line up was tactically wrong!! Why on earth field Gogic in a cup tie that he wanted to win????? My perception of that move alone was to match up to Saint Johnstone's formation - dohhhhh!!! I still believe Hibs had an effective team that would've beaten Saint Johnstone tonight and done it with a bit to spare. He didn't choose wisely!!!Thumb down DOES ROSS ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT HIS BEST HIBS TEAM ACTUALLY IS OR AT LEAST BE AWARE WHAT THE SOLID CORE OF IT IS????? When are we gonna see a true, accountable Hibs captain again, a real leader on the pitch??????? Also why field two new players who have hardly had any time to gel in Hibs 1st team?????? Why play a narrow front line strategy v three CBs who logically should be shifted out of their "comfort zone" by pulling them away to the flanks???? Who conducts the training activities at EMTC???? Deployment of set piece strategy, proper CKs, proper FKs???? Whoever it is, Jack Ross or AN Other - SACK THEM!! I AM UNIMPRESSED AND I'LL BET I'M NOT THE ONLY HIBS FAN WHO HAS RUN OUT OF ANY PATIENCE RE THIS ISSUE!!!Thumb down
In Ross's post match interview he had a "Lennon moment" (previously witnessed by Hibs fans in Feb 2020) when he effectively blamed the players and then he accused the interviewer of conducting the interview in an unsatisfactory way???? The players were lightweight in most areas of the pitch????? He has had a lengthy period to impose the kinda players on the team to make a huge difference in terms of skill, physicality and striking capability - what went wrong?????? We played in a big cup tie where some of the players probably needed an element of motivation to "gee them up" as one could see in the past four fixtures how "fragile" this team actually is esp without a proper Hibs captain/organiser within its ranks - failed again Mr Ross as I don't believe you have the required attributes to motivate a team in this situation and demand a "strong work ethic" to match up to opponents who are "up for it" - for example LIVINGSTON FC anybody????? I could go on but I just wanna reiterate that Ross is guilty as charged and should be removed from his position asap. I finally bow and concede to the qualified critical comments/warnings that were genuinely made by many Sunderland AFC fans after Jack Ross was appointed as Hibs new manager. Most of these criticisms have been confirmed without a "shadow of doubt". Should we let Ross continue regardless until season end anyway??? Well Ross Co, a team that embarrassingly beat Hibs by a similar score line, were thrashed 5-0 by Rangers this afternoon. Based on that score line and Hibs humiliation tonight, maybe this team need a record thrashing by the Huns in their next league fixture at ER Stadium to finally force pressure on a footie club that was very happy to take all that semi-final money from loyal Hibs fans and then "walk away" from that humiliating score line as though nothing had happened. It also doesn't fit in with Ron Gordon's aspirations/preaching re the future success of HFC!!
I don't think in all reason we can call for him to be binned. Results wise things aren't going too shabbily in the league. But I have to say I wouldn't be too gutted if we made a change either, I just cant follow what he is trying to do much of the time.

Today he played players like Irvine and Cadden who didnt look totally match fit (although Irvine deffo looks a player) and brought on Scott Allan who looked like he'd came off a 2 day bender. Im thoroughly fed up with Boyle as well, He has barely turned up this season and his set piece play is awful.

Ultimately though what did ross tell that team at half time ? The tie was still do-able but we came out 2nd half and played totally shite. Thats the warning sign for me.

We have lost 2 very winnable semi finals and both very good chances to get silverware. Thats whats really galling.
As Bouncinghibees has iterated often enough - DOESN'T WIN "BIG MATCHES", is not capable of doing it unless the opponents "don't show up"!!!! His record is abysmal and his non-commital behaviour and lack of influence from the side lines in these kinda matches is highly unimpressive!! Thumb down Totally agree re Boyle btw! He is totally pissing me off!! I hope I never meet him in the street because I'd give him a deserved "mouthful" re his lack of commitment to the club and the team ever since he got his nice little extended contract!! IMO a cheat, pure n simple!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »