Thread Rating:
Jim McLean RIP
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55456071

There is no doubt that Jim McLean was a great manager during an era of some vg managers associated with Scot footie but he was also a controversial manager who certainly got involved in some unsavoury incidents during his managerial career which was totally dedicated to Dundee United FC. I'd describe him as an "old school" manager who placed huge demands on his players and having an extreme attitude thereby making him a formidable footie manager to deal with. But results ultimately dictate where you stand in Scottish footie history and he is well up there with League title wins in the 1980s that knocked either of the Glesca "big two" off their usual top league position. United's successful Euro footie ventures sealed his famous status and high reputation as a footie manager with a notable two-leg victory over Barcelona FC and what turned out to be a "ref fixed" European Cup semi-final loss v Roma FC in Rome plus a UEFA Cup final two leg loss to Gothenburg. Great moments for a great Scottish manager who also assisted Jock Stein in Scotland international campaigns, such was the high regard given to McLean. RIP.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Just wanted to post a wee tribute to this great manager and great character from Scottish footballs golden era.

Mclean was an exceptional manager who built a great side at Dundee Utd who won the league with 13 players in 1982/83 and went on to have memorable European results beating Barcelona home and away and reaching the European cup semi Final where they were cheated by Roma of a spot in the final in the most disgusting, disgraceful ways. They also narrowly lost the UEFA cup final to Gothenburg.

He memorably turned down the rangers job because of their anti catholic signing policy and went on to be assistant to Jock Stein for the national team, and then became director of his beloved Dundee Utd up until he retired (signing off with a memorable punch to a BBC interviewer who annoyed him)

It's totally incorrect to say Souness brought Scottish football into the modern age with his open chequebook because with teams like Dundee United and Aberdeen challenging in the league and in Europe as well as playing exciting,innovative football.... I'd say it was in a very healthy state in the 1980s and went backwards when Souness arrived.

RIP Jim. You will never be forgotten.
ritchiebaby and 0762 like this post
RIP Jim McLean, a truly great manager who did things his way, full of criticism of players, officials, reporters and critics alike. His players responded the way he wanted, thinking "Right, I'll show him" and produced the goods time and time again.

And jim is right about Souness, who was brought in solely to make Rangers top dogs, no matter the cost to Scottish football in general, by spending money the smaller, successful clubs could never do.
0762 and hibeejim21 like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Just heard Malpas on the BBC pointing out how McLean would often change tactics several times in one game, he liked to mix it up hence why so many of his players could play in more than one position.

He was also well ahead of the game in Scotland using sprint coaches, sports psychologists and nutritionists.... basically anything to get an advantage.

I had to laugh at some of the anecdotes about him, like when he gave a big box of sports kit to a local school team to use as they were short. Afterwards the coach of the team made sure everything was cleaned and folded perfectly into bags before returning them to Jim.

When Jim met him at tannadice he checked the gear thoroughly before asking "where's my xxxx box?"   Laugh Laugh

Whit a character!
Ha ha ha Laugh You see how you cannae fool a footie perfectionist ha ha ha! A classic story!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »