Thread Rating:
Swedes 50p in Morrisons - overpriced?
Delighted we won.

Good to see Dele Alli begin to have the confidence in his body to be himself and play his game after Harry Maguire's goal. Lingard's running is feature of his game and against Colombia he seemed to me to be permanently stumbling (with or without assistance) but here was himself and did well.

Sweden were pretty dire IMO. As I expected they handled Harry Kane well, because they want to come up against a centre forward, but he responded by coming deeper and setting up a number of attacks. Sterling was far from perfect, but he terrified them. Ordinary players like the Swedes fear pace and skill and Raheem does have those qualities (sometimes). I still reckon had Rashford been on the field too it would have been declared no-contest by half time. Jordan Henderson comes in for plenty of praise, but I still find myself hard-pushed to go beyond okay.

Harry Maguire did well, scored an excellent goal, but we should remember Sweden did have Berg up front who actually had his best effort on goal of the tournament. That gave him 7256 efforts on goal in the tournament without scoring - no wonder he was exiled to the middle east before he found the big money. Trippier yet again was excellent and Kyle Walker turned on the afterburners a couple of times to show how important his pace can be. Stones remained cultured and Ashley Young had his best game of the tournament, which was not surprising as Sweden had forgotten to bring an attack to the game.

As an ex-goalie myself I was interested in our second goal. I've seen the reaction of the Swedish keeper several times in my life to close range headers. A keeper big enough to pull off a reaction save will go under the ball, bending his knees as if ready to dive and end up reaching up for the ball. It seems a mad, counter-intuitive reaction to me, but you see it a lot in children's football and the women's game. In other circumstances the keeper will make him or herself big ..........

Probably I'm the only one who thinks this, but I reckon we are riding Jordan Pickford for a fall. he did very well and his peno and the long-ranger the other night were good too. Yesterday the save low to his right was the real deal, but hey the header wasn't that difficult, it's good he was knew where he was pushing it but it was pretty patta-cake and he could have got both hands there.

But the semis against Croatia, who'd have thought it? Brilliant! If we could sub Kovacic for Henderson, Rakitic for Lingard and put Dele Alli and Modric with them do you think that midfeld would destroy France or outplay de Bruyne and co? Kane up front and our defence?
Amelia Chaffinch and turkeydinner like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Swedes 50p in Morrisons - overpriced? - by Devongone - 08-07-2018, 13:25
RE: Swedes 50p in Morrisons - overpriced? - by SHEP_HTAFC - 09-07-2018, 10:44
RE: Swedes 50p in Morrisons - overpriced? - by Devongone - 11-07-2018, 12:56