Thread Rating:
Sensation! Celtic KO'd from the CL qualis by Cluj!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49323840
FT Celtic 3 Cluj 4 and Celtic eliminated in a rare defeat at Celtic Park on an aggregate score of 4-5 in a high-scoring match by a very dangerous Rumanian side managed by Dan Petrescu. Celtic's defence exposed by a more direct team than anticipated and discovering that, round by round, the opponents are a much better quality side but a critical moment when Broon conceded a late pk on top of some awful defensive errors. I think this team would've beaten any Scot Premier side but by an even greater score line. Also it wouldn't surprise me if Lenny immediately moves for two more decent defenders esp when he gambled on taking Magregor out of Celts' midfield and slotted him in to the left back position! So Celtic drop down to a Europa League play-off v probably AIK Stockholm.
As I said on the other thread, a 4-3 home defeat, not in the script at all!!!! Shocking result for Celtic, going out at the same stage as last season!! So far the reports are scathing of the team and the lost revenue is huge for Celtic!!
Massively disappointing and totally avoidable in Lennon's eyes! The only "saving grace" is the huge pay back on that £25M Tierney transfer deal plus the fact Celtic will "take the hit" as the club is very well off and reached 30th position for the 1st time in the list of richest footie clubs in the world. If they reach the Europa League group stage, they will automatically pick up £3M - better than nowt!! More importantly, strengthen that defence!
(13-08-2019, 23:23)0762 Wrote: Massively disappointing and totally avoidable in Lennon's eyes! The only "saving grace" is the huge pay back on that £25M Tierney transfer deal plus the fact Celtic will "take the hit" as the club is very well off and reached 30th position for the 1st time in the list of richest footie clubs in the world. If they reach the Europa League group stage, they will automatically pick up £3M - better than nowt!! More importantly, strengthen that defence!

I saw one quote where it was pointed out that the money they lost due to this defeat effectively means that Tierney’s transfer fee is now lost!! Its certainly one way of looking at it.
(13-08-2019, 23:48)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(13-08-2019, 23:23)0762 Wrote: Massively disappointing and totally avoidable in Lennon's eyes! The only "saving grace" is the huge pay back on that £25M Tierney transfer deal plus the fact Celtic will "take the hit" as the club is very well off and reached 30th position for the 1st time in the list of richest footie clubs in the world. If they reach the Europa League group stage, they will automatically pick up £3M - better than nowt!! More importantly, strengthen that defence!

I saw one quote where it was pointed out that the money they lost due to this defeat effectively means that Tierney’s transfer fee is now lost!!  Its certainly one way of looking at it.

That isn't the case. Celtic don't budget for CL money, that would be sevco levels of insanity. They have the Tierney fee in entirety up front, their board are covered for the season and see CL participation as a bonus more than anything.

The fact that they have all that cash and still haven't signed at the very least 2 proper full backs to replace what's left is just mental. Also brown is done and should be taking more of a back seat.

The Broony position is interesting in the fact that I thought Celtic looked a better all round side when Broony was injured last season up to the point when the Hoops won the Scottish League Cup semi-final v Hertz and won it very well. They obviously won another "domestic treble" but I'm still surprised they have not "groomed" a replacement although I must admit that finding someone similar, with all the attributes to lead a Celtic team, is not an easy task. Also note that Broony was actually injured last night in the 1st half when he suddenly turned and fell heavily. He "ran off" the injury and that is what he normally does. It is hopefully just a minor twist but it looked serious at the time.
His pace is gone. He's never been great in a positional sense anyway. At 34 time catches up with you and celtic should have been looking for a replacement last season.

Their recruitment so far this summer has been atrocious. Which may well have something to do with Rodgers taking a lot of the backroom and scouting staff with him to Leicester, but its also been a feature for a few seasons now with the club gambling on euro football and selling if they need to balance the books.

Last night they had McGregor at LB and played kids on the wing when they had better options on the bench and in the stands!!!
Yep! The Magregor "tactical switch" to LB was debated well before this game started and indicated to many people that Lenny didn't trust other players who would be more comfortable in this position but not at this higher level of footie. Note that Lenny warned his players and people in the media that this Cluj team were no mugs and were extremely dangerous although Celtic ultimately still "flogged it" with poor defending esp in the last quarter of this match. There were already some worrying signs during the Motherwell match and particularly at the "tail end" of that league game with the loss of two sloppy goals! I actually think that Benkovic, who returned to Leicester City at the end of last season, is a "big miss" in Celtic's defence as well as Tierney. Also another "big question" to answer is, "Baines or Gordon in goal"? Based on recent match observations, I reckon Lenny will likely revert to fielding Craig Gordon.
I was curious to see how Cluj were gonna get on tonight in their CL home play-off tie v Slavia Prague, apparently a team that does not lose to Rumanian sides or lose goals very often so far this season - Cluj lost 0-1 and Slavia now in "the driving seat" but the tie is still "finely balanced". The Slavia goalie also saved a Cluj pk, IMO a "soft" award, and I expect the Czech team to "finish the job" in Prague mainly because they have an organised decent back line and a good goalie - won't lose stupid goals!! This 1st leg EL tie just confirmed to me where Celtic failed in such an embarrassing fashion.
Slavia would have destroyed Celtic home and away, and the Romanians are no mugs either. They are both more champions league teams than the Scottish champions.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »