Thread Rating:
European Union Referendum - In or Out??
Lets cut to the chase here.

May is in a mess because her party wants a race to the bottom, tax-dodger's Brexit that is precluded by the needs of the Good Friday agreement. The EU are insisting on the backstop in order to protect Ireland and themselves from a nation on their doorstep indulging in predatory deregulation - and they are wise to do so. they are not going to deviate from that now, and why would they when may is even weaker than before ? Concessions are for when another position has got stronger not the other way around.

The EU just want us gone now. They are in a great position now to pick and choose what they need in any trade deals (barnier has waited long enough to let banking and services bleed out) and have just signed a mega trade deal with japan.

The English have gone stark,raving bonkers.
0762 likes this post
The Good Friday Agreement is such a red herring it should be sent to Arbroath for smoking. It tells us as much truth as Boris's battle bus and Scotland should be ashamed to have educated the arrogant smug Fettes-father-of-Macron who insinuated it into the debate. (Maybe we should re-enact the Battle of the Boyne?)

The whole EU "negotiation" process has been designed to get us NOT to leave! If they wanted us to go they'd have given us a deal we'd now snap their fingers off for. If they wanted us out they'd like No Deal too, but they know that whatever we struggled with would have repercussions. The EU's biggest fear is we become such a mess we'll crash and burn.

I couldn't disagree that the English are bonkers, but the Scots express their mutually exclusive aims of staying in the EU and leaving the UK with such a wee-free straight faces it's embarrassing and Northern Ireland expresses its ferocious love for the Union by examining every issue down such a microscope of self-interest it disregards the wasted expense to which lingering vestiges of imperialism put it. I'm afraid we tend to deserve each other.

If there were a second referendum I would be most likely to support No Brexit. Staying in the EU is better than any deal/s on offer and fudges like Canada and Norway would just make silent us third-class members. (The only way No Deal would appear on a ballot is if Maggie May calls a binary between her deal and no deal. And no deal would be the right answer but her daft deal would win.)

And what happens if we did get a Labour Government, poor old John McDonnell who believes in a united Ireland like me has to go and talk to the DUP? NEVER NEVER NEVER, yells son of Paisley from his latest free holiday destination .......
Northern Ireland is a political "can of worms" for obvious reasons! And as for this commonly stated option of "no deal" from many anti EU people - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ UP ON THE NEGATIVE IMPLICATIONS OF DOING SUCH A STUPID THING and then think again! There are lots of official public documents , Scottish and English, re brexit and the massive impact on our economy and trade ops and this "wing and a prayer" view, with no substance attached to it, really has to stop!! Everyone to their own opinion but I pray that common sense and intelligent assessment of such an extreme situation dominates public opinion and action in the drive towards political sanity!!
If there is a 2nd referendum I would like a 2nd question put on the ballot, something like.

Would you like to see Britain join a Federation of Europe or a United States of Europe?

I mean this would be the best chance for an opinion poll to see what people really think.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
I think you could easily increase the number of questions to four TBH. Either keep it simple or cover all the options incl favour for the status quo and retaining the current EU arrangement!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/105859...mit-Merkel
And now the main EU coordinator, Guy Verhofstadt, hammers the final nail in May's "coffin" with these dismissive comments re the contentious Irish "backstop" and the deal itself!! Ahhh well! So much for all May's deluded "chat" on the subject!
The EU just want the UK to have a vote in parliament on Mays deal. They are extremely pissed off, as you would be after 2 years of negotiations with upper class idiots who don't know what they want or what brexit even is meant to be.....

The only question on the ballot should Mays deal v remain. If people want to vote to make ourselves poorer a 2nd time then so be it.

The whole thing has been a disgrace from top to bottom. I'm ashamed to be British.
ritchiebaby and 0762 like this post
"The whole EU "negotiation" process has been designed to get us NOT to leave! If they wanted us to go they'd have given us a deal we'd now snap their fingers off for. If they wanted us out they'd like No Deal too, but they know that whatever we struggled with would have repercussions. The EU's biggest fear is we become such a mess we'll crash and burn."

I have a bridge available for sale - PM me for details.
Yep! I concur with that view and suspected many, many months ago that  it would go this way. They need us and we need them - just study the billions of quid in trade and vested interest! It is actually like a sketch from the House of Cards with all these devious, English upper crust  cretons trying to "cut each other up". Remember this is the same group of toffs that our English friends keep consistently voting in as the people to govern our country - been doing it for well over a century and nobody learning the lesson that there are other politucal alternatives to Old Etonians or Oxbridge types, with lots n lots of money, governing our country!! Will the "penny ever drop" for these politically narrow supporters of these rich, shameless Tory shitheids??? I listened to Mrs Windrush in parliament and she shamelessly professed her conviction to the deal and "we are the party for the people" - utter shameless crap and a PM playing parlour games, a PM with a past history of  negative policies against various categories of people in our country incl the disabled! Nuff said!
I'm still inclined to think there's a big, dangerous game of chicken going on. May's only tactic is to play the waiting game as she knows her plan, or anything like it, has no chance of getting through Parliament. We'll get closer to deadline date with no progress and the UK will have to apply to extend the date and the EU will be happy/relieved to allow it. But the core problem will still be there and we'll be no further forward.
Cabbage is still good for you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »