Thread Rating:
Johnson watch activated - the nightmare begins for the UK!!
Nicola doesn't need to campaign for Independence when Boris is doing such a good job on his own.
hibeejim21 and 0762 like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Davidson and Cameron told us remaining in the UK was the only way we could stay in the EU.
We voted overwhelmingly to Remain, and now we're getting a No Deal, hard brexit delivered from a party overwhelmingly rejected, repeatedly, by Scotland.

Sturgeon knows that a Boris Johnson helmed government is going to throw fuel on that fire, thats why she let Swinson and Blowjo have their snap election.
What really irks me and, I'm sure, thousands and thousands of Scottish electors is the fact that the same "better together" opponents/hypocrites in 2014 are shamelessly preaching the exact opposite of their narrative re staying in the EU etc - absolutely outrageous and they have lost all remaining credibility up here! Also re the positive presence of Johnson in boosting Scot indy, IMO the best description of him this week was that he was "the Yes campaign's biggest asset". Yep, no doubt!
(24-07-2020, 12:20)0762 Wrote: What really irks me and, I'm sure, thousands and thousands of Scottish electors is the fact that the same "better together" opponents/hypocrites in 2014 are shamelessly preaching the exact opposite of their narrative re staying in the EU etc - absolutely outrageous and they have lost all remaining credibility up here! Also re the positive presence of Johnson in boosting Scot indy, IMO the best description of him this week was that he was "the Yes campaign's biggest asset". Yep, no doubt!

There is a lot of irony in the whole Scottish Independence and Brexit debates!! Just looking at generalities, the UK want to leave the EU to be able to control their own destiny but do not want Scotland to be independent!! Scotland wants independence from the Union so it can control its own destiny yet then wants to join the other Union and give up some of that independence!!!

I get its far more complex than that but the irony is still there!!
Problem is Charles that the UK doesn't want to leave - Scotland and Northern Ireland both voted against leaving.

England and Wales both voted for it but they won't be controlling anything as a result, quite the opposite. Whereas at the very least Scotland wouldl be in control of its own tax receipts and natural resources to do with as we please. We actually would be 'taking back control'

Now that's ironic!
0762 likes this post
(24-07-2020, 19:54)hibeejim21 Wrote: Problem is Charles that the UK doesn't want to leave - Scotland and Northern Ireland both voted against leaving.

England and Wales both voted for it but they won't be controlling anything as a result, quite the opposite. Whereas at the very least Scotland wouldl be in control of its own tax receipts and natural resources to do with as we please. We actually would be 'taking back control'

Now that's ironic!

Yes I get all that hence why is said I was talking in generalities. There is so much irony with these sort of decisions that you can only conclude that there are ulterior motives or some sort of other gain to it from politicians on both sides!
I'd only add that Wales stance in 2016 re leaving the EU has actually changed to opposing Brexit now - unsurprising TBH esp after the extreme political events that unfolded in England in the past couple of years to the point where there has also been a record increase in support for Welsh independence.
Talking of ironies I often wonder what would have happened if Brexit had been voted down by a small amount of Scottish or welsh votes. At the very least a 2nd vote would be well on its way by now because the brexiteers would have burned the place to the ground.
(24-07-2020, 23:12)hibeejim21 Wrote: Talking of ironies I often wonder what would have happened if Brexit had been voted down by a small amount of Scottish or welsh votes.  At the very least a 2nd vote would be well on its way by now because the brexiteers would have burned the place to the ground.

Had Remain won by a small margin then Cameron would have stayed on as PM I assume and I am sure he would have used that time to rid the Tories of the likes of Boris. Of course it would also have seen a rise in the UKIP support probably but then maybe that would have split the Tory vote in the GE to see Labour actually get into power!! The possibilities are endless, Labour might have had to form a coalition government including the SNP who would have made it a condition that during this parliament they would get another referendum and Corbyn would have to have gone along with it or see a minority right wing Government in place instead. Of course the scary part of this would be Corbyn as PM, different sort of bad to what we see today!!! Another question would be did the Brexit vote have any impact at all on Trump winning in 2016?? Did a right wing surge in the UK give hope to the RW over here, that election was close so could it have made a difference?? If so we would have President Hillary working with Corbyn!!! Laugh
Now there's a thought Laugh

I think Cameron was done for anyway and it was only a matter of time before a hard core brexiter got the gig. Farage himself said before the vote if it would be 'unfinished business' if he lost. I doubt Cameron could have held the party together with the majority he had, he was a political gambler who had been emboldened after the Scottish Referendum and made an absolute mess of it.

I think also the English Brexiteers would have gone off their nuts if they had seen their 'will' being prevented by Scotland.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »