Sports Babble - sports forum
Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Off Topic / General Discussions (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Forum: Abstract Chat (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=152)
+--- Thread: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! (/showthread.php?tid=5134)

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - ritchiebaby - 31-08-2020

Can anyone explain what is happening inside the SNP? In the past week there have been 4 current MSPs, including Ministers, standing down at next year's elections, adding to another couple earlier in the year.

Although it seems orderly and considered and there is no suggestion of any internal divisions behind the announcements, it does seem a lot all at once. Are there substantial differences in policy matters or is it to do with Alex Salmond's trial and forthcoming book? Are these MSPs beginning to distance themselves from Nicola Sturgeon?

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - 0762 - 31-08-2020

IMO the loss of Jeane Freeman (age a big factor in her decision to retire) is a big one - needs to be replaced by an experienced politician. I think there is a lotta wasted talent down in Westminster and the vastly experienced Phillipa Whitford should be asked to run for Holyrood and become the next Health Secretary. The SNP will also lose Alex Neil, Linda Fabiani, Bruce Crawford, Gil Paterson, Roseanna Cunningham, Stewart Stevenson, Aileen Campbell, Michael Russell, Gail Ross and Richard Lyle. Most of them are leaving due to age or family reasons. Remember that such weekly commitment/dedication to the task must be fairly demanding and to the detriment of other family needs until the time finally arrives to "call it a day" - a case of "we're getting on a bit". It is good to see a healthy scepticism among supporters/voters when politicians announce such intentions to stand down for such reasons - but no intrigue, no sleight of hand! Most of them are, on average, already of pensionable age and will be well into their 70s by the end of the next Scot Parliament. It opens the way for younger talent to "take up the mantle" of SNP aspirations for the future - a very different, younger Scot Parliament come May 2021 can be one of aspiration, ambition and serious purpose as the SNP heads into another election cycle led by the UK's most successful, tried and tested political leader. Sturgeon has led party and govt for six years. Contrast that with Johnson's shambles for little over a year, Starmer's failng to "set the heather on fire" and does anyone even wanna know about the Libdems' leadership any more????
Politicians shouldn't go on and on. But politics does. And, if we value democracy, that's a good thing.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - ritchiebaby - 31-08-2020

I must admit I'm not a fan of Jeane Freeman. I well remember, early on in the pandemic when we were continually being reminded to cough/sneeze into the crook of our elbows, that she coughed into her hand on at least two separate occasions during a Press Conference.

Other than that, you're quite right in your comments, except that if Phillippa Whitford is to run for Holyrood, will she not have to resign at Westminster first? Certainly there is a lot of SNP talent at Westminster, wasting their time farting against thunder.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - hibeejim21 - 01-09-2020

Sturgeon making an uncharacteristic (despite what the tories or the press say) attack on Westminster in her statement to Holyrood - opposing the situation in which ScotGov is hampered in its covid response, the refusal of extra borrowing powers, imposition of a migration system that is unjust and will harm Scotland, the unnecessary damage of Brexit, etc. and says should become independent.

ScotGov to publish a draft Bill, setting out proposed terms and timing of an independence referendum, as well as the proposed question.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - ritchiebaby - 03-09-2020

(31-08-2020, 23:46)ritchiebaby Wrote: I must admit I'm not a fan of Jeane Freeman. I well remember, early on in the pandemic when we were continually being reminded to cough/sneeze into the crook of our elbows, that she coughed into her hand on at least two separate occasions during a Press Conference.

Other than that, you're quite right in your comments, except that if Phillippa Whitford is to run for Holyrood, will she not have to resign at Westminster first? Certainly there is a lot of SNP talent at Westminster, wasting their time farting against thunder.

And, true to form, Jeane Freeman cleared her throat onto the back of her hand at today's Press conference. And also please let Jason Leitch lead the Press conferences - he doesn't waffle on, doesn't avoid giving proper answers and gives a clear, concise response. Why? Because he's not a politician!

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - 0762 - 04-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 16:12)hibeejim21 Wrote: Sturgeon making an uncharacteristic (despite what the tories or the press say) attack on Westminster in her statement to Holyrood - opposing the situation in which ScotGov is hampered in its covid response, the refusal of extra borrowing powers, imposition of a migration system that is unjust and will harm Scotland, the unnecessary damage of Brexit, etc. and says should become independent.

ScotGov to publish a draft Bill, setting out proposed terms and timing of an independence referendum, as well as the proposed question.

Long overdue in the eyes of many within the Sottish independence movement Jim although my own personal opinion was "it's all about the timing" - implanting the vision for a future economic recovery, post pandemic, but changing the programme for govt to a radical one of a fairer, greener country (and the challenges ahead) with a Scottish referendum bill attached to it as the "spectre" of Brexit gets closer and closer and these Tory/Brexit extremists are hellbent on stupidly pushing through this catastrophe on top of the economic catastrophe of COVID19. Also remember that Scotindy campaigning has been almost non-existent and rightly so because of this unprecedented crisis period, something none of us have observed in our lifetime. The various factions of the Scotindy movement are prepared and "ready to go" knowing that there is a positive "mood swing" in the Scot population that seems to be steadily hovering and will move positively to another level of positive support for Scot indy. My hunch is that the impending Brexit outcome will be the "flame that lights the touch paper" for the Scotindy movement to mobilise. However, caution must be uttered re the imposed restriction of the pandemic on the country. One must ask, "When will this crisis end eh"? There are, of course, other imaginative ways to channel the message to the country but taking it "en masse" to the towns and cities would be perfect.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - hibeejim21 - 04-09-2020

Interestingly on news night last night they were suggesting the tories are already preparing for another referendum. The scoop being they want pre-determined outcomes on the ballot paper and new rules surrounding the vote.

By next may the SNP will sweep the polls up here, Leonard and ross are absolutely no opposition whatsoever. Coupled with the 'uk internal market' plans that have been leaked, it's a perfect storm for another vote. The internal market bill will basically sweep aside devolution, if the Scottish gov wants to oppose the NHS being sold off, or food standards being changed it won't be able to because of this. Even though these are devolved powers!!

Once again it's the tories that are moving the UK onto shaky ground, the lack of respect that Scotland has been shown is jaw dropping.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - 0762 - 10-09-2020

Also looks like Leonard will no longer be the Scot Labour by next week but note they have nobody of any kinda standing to replace him! Both Tory and Scot Labour parties are full of lightweight non-entities, a common factor within their ranks and consider who in their right mind with gifted political skills to progress a career in politics would align themselves with these unimpressive unionist parties anyway!!? The best Scottish talent is continually flowing into the SNP and a consistently successful elected Scot govt.

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - 0762 - 15-09-2020

(04-09-2020, 10:46)hibeejim21 Wrote: Interestingly on news night last night they were suggesting the tories are already preparing for another referendum. The scoop being they want pre-determined outcomes on the ballot paper and new rules surrounding the vote.

By next may the SNP will sweep the polls up here, Leonard and ross are absolutely no opposition whatsoever. Coupled with the 'uk internal market' plans that have been leaked, it's a perfect storm for another vote.  The internal market bill will basically sweep aside devolution, if the Scottish gov wants to oppose the NHS being sold off, or food standards being changed it won't be able to because of this. Even though these are devolved powers!!

Once again it's the tories that are moving the UK onto shaky ground, the lack of respect that Scotland has been shown is jaw dropping.

After observing that ridiculous Internal "law breaking" Market Bill breezing through the UK Parliamentary voting process in the 1st reading of said bill, I'm closely looking at the six treacherous Scot Tories who voted for it knowing the implications of it being potentially unlawful and the negative impact on Scotland and Scottish interests. Remember these hypocritical bastards profess such great support for Scotland and the interests of the Scot people - 100% smarmy c#### who have joined the Brexit conspiracy, union jackery etc!!! The UK will become a pariah state! Yet, we're expected to form an orderly queue behind a row of mandates waiting for this corrupt Brit govt to grant us the right to have a referendum - ON YER BIKE JOHNSON ET AL!!! IMO trust and honesty should be at the heart of any Union, esp when one partner wields the majority of power - just look at the EU relationship with member states!!!!! When, however, any partner decides to break the law, either domestically or internationally, it reneges on its responsibilities and, by default, its actions precipitate the end of that Union - ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!! I must also say I'm "chomping at the bit" to see the start of the Keatings court action against the British govt and its assertion that they can dictate to the Scot govt/Scot people when they deem it allowable to have any referendum for self-determination under the auspice of a Section 30 order. This action is "Scot people funded" and I've certainly contributed my own money towards this action at the Court of Session. I want to see it happen and I want to see the Brit govt lawyers/representatives totally defeated at the Scot Court of Session in Edinburgh!! IMO the Scot govt/Scot people should be able to call any referendum on Scot indy for any date that they decide - IT IS A SOVEREIGN RIGHT!!!

RE: Nicola Sturgeon finally begins the process of separation! - hibeejim21 - 16-09-2020

Scottish law advocate Lord Keen resigns from the government, a senior member of the Scottish legal fraternity.

The penny is dropping that anyone working in the legal profession that enables the government to break the law will be in soapy bubble down the line.